0
   

Temple to de unknow god

 
 
manored
 
Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 07:47 pm
I just saw a rather interesting fact in a documentary about the greek gods: The athenians had a temple that they called "Temple to the unknow god". Apparently, the athenians feared the possibility of there existing a god that they didnt know but that could punish then for not workshiping him anyway, so they built that temple to cover that possibility.

That explains why the greek had so many gods. Apparently their policy was: "If you dont know if it exists, it does!" =)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,499 • Replies: 9
No top replies

 
djjd62
 
  1  
Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 07:51 pm
i prefer temple of the dog
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 04:17 am
If you saw it on the tee-vee, it's gotta be true!
chai2
 
  2  
Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 04:53 am
Reminds me of this poem, a favorite of mine...

Ozymandias


I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: `Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear --
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.'

Percy Bysshe Shelley


0 Replies
 
manored
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 09:01 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

If you saw it on the tee-vee, it's gotta be true!
Im hoping that I can trust what a program about ancient gods in a channel about history has to said about ancient gods =)

And it makes sense, considering how godfull the greeks were.

chai2 wrote:

Reminds me of this poem, a favorite of mine...

Ozymandias


I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: `Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear --
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.'

Percy Bysshe Shelley
This poem seens to be a favorite or everyone, or, at least, what the sculptor has written. I have heard it a thousand times but I still dont quite understand what he means =)
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 09:14 am
@manored,
I can't say if the program were accurate, and i'm not saying that it wasn't. However, if you were watching "The History Channel," that channel bears exactly the same relationship to history that Christian Science does to science.
0 Replies
 
chai2
 
  2  
Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 10:33 am
@manored,
manored wrote:

This poem seens to be a favorite or everyone, or, at least, what the sculptor has written. I have heard it a thousand times but I still dont quite understand what he means =)
[/quote]


It means don't go around thinking your **** don't stink, because sooner or later no one's going to know who you were.

No one is badass enough to never be forgotten.
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 11:47 am
I'm still cracking up over "de unknow god" . . . that am high-larious . . .

Oh de leg bone connected to de knee bone
De knee bone connected to de hip bone . . .
0 Replies
 
Green Witch
 
  2  
Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 11:51 am
Quote:
I have heard it a thousand times but I still dont quite understand what he means =)


Look up the definition of the word "hubris".
0 Replies
 
manored
 
  1  
Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 08:46 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

It means don't go around thinking your **** don't stink, because sooner or later no one's going to know who you were.

No one is badass enough to never be forgotten.
Ahh... so my whole life I misinterpreted this poem =)

I always though it was something like a mere sculputor mocking the great kings by saying he could make something in the desert that would preserve his memory for longer than the great kingdoms of the kings would preserve theirs.

But it is actually a great king proclaiming his greatness, only his kingdom is no more...

Setanta wrote:

I can't say if the program were accurate, and i'm not saying that it wasn't. However, if you were watching "The History Channel," that channel bears exactly the same relationship to history that Christian Science does to science.
Im almost sure that was the channel, but my memory sucks. Anyway, yeah, it does take off rather badly in some programs. But it is comprehensible... how are you going to tell history 24 hours a day without it ever getting boring? =)

But I think this kind of program is trustworthy. The ones to watch out for are the ones that go on speculating about the end of the world and stuff.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Colossus 191 - Question by paula68
Lovatts Cluewords 163 - Question by paula68
Lovatts Cluewords 162 - Question by paula68
sea watch 3 - Question by maxdog
november big no.285 the demon - Question by mariontluff
Lovatts Colossus 291 stinker. - Question by malcolm
Risking job by having sex - Question by lisa1471
rhyme this - Question by FOUND SOUL
jan big big cash - Question by philcottie
cluewords baffler - Question by philcottie
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Temple to de unknow god
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 01/20/2021 at 08:27:51