Shall we galette?

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2010 11:34 am
I made my first galette yesterday - delicious, easy, and not quite so many carbs as regular two crusted pie. Any galette or rustic tart or crostata fans here on a2k? Favorite recipes?

I tried this recipe first -
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1816134
I used small italian plums and black cherry preserves instead of plum preserves.

http://img.timeinc.net/recipes/i/recipes/sl/08/07/plum-tart-sl-1816134-l.jpg
Photo: Charles Walton IV; Styling: Lisa Powell Bailey

My next ploy will be to make my own dough, and use less sugar, and eliminate the preserves..
so,
I found this recipe by Nancy Silverton, in a Russ Parson's column -

http://articles.latimes.com/1997/sep/03/food/fo-2826
NANCY SILVERTON'S RUSTIC TART DOUGH

This dough can be used to create free-form rustic tarts (such as the Rusatic Peach Tart on this pae) by spooning sweetened chopped fresh fruit in the center of the disk or disks and then folding the edges over to form a rough pentagon shape. Or you can roll the dough into a rectangle and cut it into 8 smaller rectangles. Wrap those rectangles around some sweetened chopped fresh fruit and bake according to directions for the smaller tarts.

1 cup cake flour
1/2 cup bread flour
2 tablespoons sugar
Dash salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cubed
4 teaspoons ice water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Combine cake flour, bread flour, sugar and salt in bowl of electric mixer. Distribute butter evenly across top and mix with dough paddle at lowest speed until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Do not over-mix.

Alternatively, butter can be worked in by hand. Toss cubes with dry ingredients and then rub cubes quickly and lightly between thumb and forefinger until butter is well-distributed. Again, do not over-mix.

Combine ice water and vanilla and sprinkle over dough. Mix on lowest speed with dough paddle until dough forms rough ball and pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl. This takes much longer than you might expect, 3 to 4 minutes.

Remove dough from bowl to well-floured table or pastry board and gently but firmly knead dough until it is smooth and no longer shaggy at edges, 2 to 3 minutes. Form into ball and flatten into disk. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until very cold, at least 30 minutes.

I can't find her Rustic Peach Tart recipe online, but taking it from my copy of the Parsons article -

Rustic Peach Tart I can't tell if this is Silverton's tart recipe (maybe just the dough was) or Parsons'.

Rustic Tart Dough (see above)
2 cups peeled sliced peaches
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

* Prepare Rustic Tart Dough and refrigerate
*Combine peaches, sugar, cornstarch and cloves and mix well until cornstarch is no longer visible
* Roll out tart dough until circle is roughly 1/8th inch thick. Spoon peach mixture in center. Fold up one side at point where peaches end. Fold up next side at 90 degree angle and press firmly at corner where 2 sides join. Repeat, circling completely around tart until pentagon results.
*Bake at 375 degrees 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake until crust is light brown, checking every 10 minute to make sure crust is not scorching, about 45 to 50 minutes.

8 servings; 130 mg sodium; 31 mg cholesterol; 12 grams fat; 32 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams protein; 1.3 grams fiber

Yes, the first recipe from My Recipes.com above did have more sugar..
In my copy of the full Russ Parsons article about Nancy Silverton's dough recipe, he goes on about how unusual her recipe is, re a mix of high gluten and low gluten flours, and about the longish mixing to get non shaggy dough, but says it was the easiest working dough he'd ever handled.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,928 • Replies: 0
No top replies

1. Forums
  2. » Shall we galette?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:26:39