RAP RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RAP RULES!!!!!!!!!!RAP RULES!!!!!!!

thelonious

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 11:25 am
Child of the Light wrote:
I didn't mean the first single ever, guy. I meant the first batch of rap was used to discuss social issues.

i pulled the following from Rapworld:
Grand Master Flash, the founding father of scratching and quick mixing offered a demo to a group called the Furious Five which consisted of five mc's - Melle Mel, Cowboy, Rahiem, Mr Ness and Kid Creole. At the time the furious five weren't convinced the demo was worth recording but they did and in just over a month"The Message" sold over a million copies. The Message was the first rap record to break away from typical rap lyrics boasting about being the "biggest" and the "baddest" describing the hopelessness of the American Black ghetto's.
(i italicised the part i wanted you to notice)
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 05:50 pm
The first rap song that I remember with a message is that Slick Rick song were they are so close to the edge.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 06:26 pm
First Rap song I ever heard was.......RAPture by Blondie.
I believe, I may not be right, it was the first 'rap' tune ever to be featured on MTV.
I'm not saying it was good but it's interesting she picked up on a trend that was a few years away from becoming a phenomenon.
0 Replies

thelonious

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 01:39 am
Child of the Light wrote:
The first rap song that I remember with a message is that Slick Rick song were they are so close to the edge.

ah, the first rap song you remember....
0 Replies

cold storage

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 02:24 pm
Ahhh...another bunch of people on the intenet discussing rap like the three bling-blingers they saw on TRL somehow summarizes the whole genre, its aims, its achievements, its ideals and its future. How wonderful.

Perhaps I'll go listen to some Good Charlotte and tell Fugazi fans that rock sucks.

Good day. Rolling Eyes

(That's a rap lyric in my signature, by the way. Don't ever judge a musical genre by the ass-end of it that MTV shoves down your throat.)
0 Replies