Please Help Me Get This Straight....

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 07:13 am
No, not that; up here in the mind!

The Quapaws (downstream people) lived west of the Mississippi and called the land Akansea. However, in Marquette and Joliet's journal of 1673 it was spelled Akensas, and I see in LaSalle's map a few years later it was Acansa,

So, if Kansas is pronounced 'Can-suss', surely Arkansas should be, 'Arrh-can-suss' instead of, 'Ar-can-saw'?

I think Captain Zebulon Pike got it right in 1811 when he spelled it Arkansaw.

Some may blame the French, others Jean-Baptiste BĂ©nard de la Harpe.

The question is; is it right for incomers to change a place name, or should the Native (American) name predominate?

Ps. You know the expression, "Let the good times roll"?

Anyone know what time that is as I have an appointment at eleven and I don't want it to clash.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,214 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 07:33 am
Quote:
So, if Kansas is pronounced 'Can-suss', surely Arkansas should be, 'Arrh-can-suss' instead of, 'Ar-can-saw'?

It is pronounced Ar kan sus. at least here it is.

Its hard sometimes to guess at the spelling of translations of an unknown language.

theres a bit of a trend to revert to Au aboriginal names for places. case in point Uluru/Ayers Rock.
Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 07:36 am
I say blame the French . . . after all, they're not here to defend themselves.
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 10:31 am
Your question has nothing to do with the spelling. It has everything to do with colonization. I'm not sure colonization can have a value judgement placed on it. It just is. It is part of the human drive. If we aren't colonizing physically we are colonizing economically, or educationally, or morally, or linguistically. So I suppose retention of native names is more of an aesthetic preference. Do we romanticize the previous occupants, by "honoring" their place names? Or do we push forward with the ideals that brought us to the point of colonization?

The third option, which is what I think happned most frequently, is what is the economic worth of retaining a place name or renaming it? Many places that retained native names, or derivatives of native names already had economic function in place that were useful to the colonizers. these functions often had to do with the native already operating that function as well. Hence the preponderance of native name retention among rivers, port towns that did not become metropolises, lakes, and traditional trade route areas. This also happens in badlands where there was absolutely no economic reason to go there. Lots of native name retention in areas where colonizers didn't care about.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 02:20 pm
Around here (Michigan) the French attempted to write down the American Indian names, then the British came in a changed everything.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 02:38 pm
@dadpad,
Your pronunciation is considered correct - in Kansas.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 02:46 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I say blame the French . . . after all, they're not here to defend themselves.

You forget Francis.

Where in hell is he anyway? I come back after a hiatus of about half a year and everone's dissing the French with nary a Gallic rebuttal. Wassup wif dat?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Please Help Me Get This Straight....
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 04:56:37