How can I rid my pantry of moths?

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 07:55 pm
Any tips on ridding my pantry of meal moths without throwing away everything? Is there a period of time you can put dry goods (pasta, etc.) in the freezer or oven and kill the eggs?

I threw out a 5 pound bag of flour today, and I have just restocked my pantry with my favorite pastas...I don't want to lose them.

Ceili

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 08:09 pm
Moth balls?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 08:17 pm
@ibstubro,
Quote:
Any tips on ridding my pantry of meal moths without throwing away everything?

Are they particularly low in protein value?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 08:22 pm
If you have moths, you must keep everything...especially flour, pasta, cereals & breads...in airtight containers. I keep flour inside a ziplock bag inside a canister. Ziplock bags work great.
Green Witch

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 08:56 pm
They make sticky traps for pantry moths that are very effective, just Google for a source. As Eva says, put everything in tight closing containers. You should also rotate your dry goods so nothing sits too long. I don't recommend moth balls, even the fumes, are poisonous to pets and especially children.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 09:01 pm
@ibstubro,
The best chemical free way to keep one's house moth free is move in a family of brown bats in your pantry. Make sure you don't buy them at Walmart. They're extra cheap but those Made in China bats tend to carry rabies.
chai2

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 09:54 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

If you have moths, you must keep everything...especially flour, pasta, cereals & breads...in airtight containers. I keep flour inside a ziplock bag inside a canister. Ziplock bags work great.

Can you put the canister inside a ziplock bag?

I like the brown bat idea better myself.

maybe I'll trade otis in and get one.

I dunno though, he's pretty good at catching moths.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 09:56 pm
@chai2,
moth balls?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 10:14 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
...Can you put the canister inside a ziplock bag?...

Sure, if you can find a ziplock bag that's big enough.

The point is, not all canisters have airtight lids. I had problems with moths and those little small beetles (what are those called?) that got into my flour regularly before I realized how easily they could get into the canisters. The ziplock bags put an end to that problem.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 10:23 pm
I use tupperware canisters.

no bugs. but no fancy kitchen neither.

and I can see what's in each one when I forget...
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 10:35 pm
You can rid your panties of moths by washin' 'em!
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 10:36 pm
Oh! did you say PANTRY?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 08:00 am
I've found that they usually come in with bags of dried beans and grains from the bulk food bins. I always put those things in the freezer for a couple of days after purchase and before I put them on the shelves.
La Dame

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 12:11 pm
@ibstubro,
I hate those things!! get a few packages of peppermint chewing gum and stick a unwrapped peice in your containers, bags or boxes. Get some mint tea bags and lay them around opened on your shelves.. Zip lock bags are nice but I've had them chew through somehow .. Freezer is your best bet if your not going to use it right away.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 12:18 pm
@boomerang,
That's a clever idea that bears a second look.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 12:24 pm
I used to use bay leaves, but that was back when I had four bay trees..
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 12:33 pm
@ossobuco,
I wonder if garlic works on repelling vampire moths? Surprised
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LbccUVbSRd8/SQ8QaPV4wSI/AAAAAAAACrk/kxNfq_gA5C4/s400/Vampire+Moth+-+2.JPG
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 02:02 pm
I have to confess.

I have never found a moth in my pantry.

Is this a common problem?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 02:38 pm
Chai, If you leave grains, cereal or flour around too long the ever present larvae hatch and you get moths. Once you have them flying around they can be difficult to eliminate. Yes, we are all consuming moth larvae with our Raisin Bran et al, so take that all you vegans.

Here is a good solution:
http://www.saferbrand.com/store/insect-control/b05140-2

http://www.saferbrand.com/resource/images/havahart/products/medium/B05140-2_m.jpg
chai2

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 02:39 pm
nom nom nom

1. Forums
  2. » How can I rid my pantry of moths?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:57:10