How to find people?

sumac

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 02:14 pm
I volunteered to try to track down the whereabouts of some of my former high school classmates in preparation for our 50th reunion. So that I don't go through this process by trial and error, how would you approach the problem?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,803 • Replies: 11
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 02:19 pm
@sumac,
start a facebook page, contact the people you know and get them to contact the folks they might know, like that shampoo commercial, i told two friends and so and so on
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 02:36 pm
@djjd62,
Keep in mind he did say he was searching for the former students of a class and its 5oth class reunion.

If we're talking high school reunion then we're talking about persons in excess of 66 years old. Worse... if we're talking about a college reunion then add at least 4 more years to the formula.

I'm not sure if Facebook would be the most appropriate place to look.

The networking via former friends and family would be the only viable method of contacting those difficult to find. And sadly enough, one could also cross some names off my researching the obits of one's local newspaper.
djjd62

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 02:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
lot's of older folks on the facebook and the googles Razz
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 02:41 pm
@sumac,
I wonder if the Classmates website is still alive. Of course, there is a membership fee, but it might have more appeal to that generation than facebook.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 03:28 pm
Thank you everyone. One of us will join Classmates. com. You can google a name, you can look on Facebook, but what else?
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 04:00 pm
@sumac,
Put a classified ad about the reunion in the local newspaper where the school was located. Either original classmates or their relatives may see it and pass the word to them. Put a contact number or PO Box in the ad for them to connect with you. If you have the money to do so, put an ad in a national paper like USA Today.

Call some of the local radio and tv stations and see if they have community event calendars for you to advertise the event with contact info.

Add Twitter and MySpace to your list of social networks to use for getting the word out and for searching for people.
sumac

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 04:07 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks, good ideas.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 05:23 pm
I was involved in a similar project for a service club i was involved in. the club had some transient mebers who had moved into town then moved on a few years later. Tracking them was reletivly easy when i discovered the area they were originally from. got the phone book for that area and looked up their family names. I started to phone the people with the same family name and mostly came up with aunts and uncles or someone who knew of the person and were able to direct me to a source of contact, like a parent or location.
Things like "hmmm yes last time i heard of him he was working for so and so company" who i then called and they were able to direct me to a closer source.
jespah

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 08:02 am
@dadpad,
Try your High School, too, as there's probably still a considerably minority with children or grandchildren in the same district. If there are fairly unique last names (e. g. not Johnson, Ramirez or Li), there might be a match there. You can often inexpensively advertise in the school's monthly circular (you know, the thing they send out every month showing holidays and the lunchn schedule).

PS Hiya, Susan!
sumac

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 09:06 am
@jespah,
Thanks, jespah, and hi back atcha!
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 06:25 pm
Ancestry.com has a lot of information.
0 Replies