rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 08:06 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:
I don't doubt that animals can solve problems, some of them fairly complicated. But I don't call that "philosophy".

Evidently, we have different opinions about what constitutes philosophy.
Apparently. And especially if you think that animals engage in anything even remotely similar to what I call Philosophy.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2012 11:04 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
You seem to be giving birds (animals) a lot of credit
for how their thought process works.
NO; not at all
(except for observed results of co-ordinated attack patterns of wolves & African lions).
Ever hear of being "foxy"? The thought is the father of the deed.

rosborne979 wrote:
Do you have anything to back up your conjecture,
I have no conjecture. I am merely EXPOSING your quackery & mental chaos,
when u fake that u know what animals think.
Your post has clearly implied that u have had the thought processes of ALL
of the animals under your telepathic surveillace. (I doubt that u actually have.)
The baseless intellectual arrogance of your post attracted my attention.
The burden of proof is on the affirmative, not on my skepticism.

rosborne979 wrote:
or do you just prefer to snip at me when I give the standard scientific assessment of animal behavior.
Assuming, that to actually be true,
your appeals to authority have no probative value.
Maybe next week u 'll be referring us to what Aristotle thought, in proof of your notions.

rosborne979 wrote:
I don't think we need to read a cow's mind to know that it probably can't do calculus.
U r having a LOT of trouble with concepts.
1. Definitionally, a cow cannot be neuter gender
and logically MUST be "she" not "it". (Is your math equally as good?)

2. HOW have u calculated the *probability* of what she can DO in her mind?
Where did u get your data? How did u test them?
What were the precise results of your probability analysis ?

Inquiring minds wanna know.

( I expect him to answer in a fully conclusory form:
"the results were that cows cannot think
because cows cannot think, because cows cannot think,
because cows cannot think and the reason for that
is that: cows cannot think." )

rosborne979 wrote:
And we don't need to "prove" that pigs can't fly just because they don't have wings.
Agreed that u don 't have that "need".
( Thay can fly, if u put them on planes [or in catapults {pigapults??}]. )

rosborne979 wrote:
The original question of this thread was "can animals philosophise?"
My answer is NO based on our understanding of animals, their brains,
and eons of observation of their behavior.
Does your understanding
have a bearing upon the truth of what u believe?
If it actually does,
then I 'll be very interested in your investment advice.

rosborne979 wrote:
That's the obvious answer.
"Obvious" to U.
It used to be "obvious" that the Earth was flat,
orbited by the sun.

rosborne979 wrote:
If you have a more extraordinary claim to make,
then you will need extraordinary evidence to back it up.
I don 't pretend to know what anyone is able to think,
beyond resulting observed conduct.

David
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 02:07 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
And especially if you think that animals engage in anything even remotely similar to what I call Philosophy.

That would be to what I call philosophy. But I don't think I could get away with even that. My point is only that abstract thought is a capacity that is not uniquely human.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 04:11 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

My point is only that abstract thought is a capacity that is not uniquely human.
I agree with that. But I don't think abstract thought is the same thing as philosophy.

phi·los·o·phy:
1. The study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, esp. when considered as an academic discipline.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 04:22 am
@OmSigDAVID,
The examples you are giving are of intelligent thought, not philosophical thought.

You don't have to be a mind reader to understand animal behavior.

We can observe that animals are intelligent. We cannot observe, nor have we ever observed, any behavior even remotely indicative of philosophical thought in animals. So until such time, or until such evidence is presented, there is a probability far beyond reasonable doubt that they do not engage in philosophy.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:14 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
But I don't think abstract thought is the same thing as philosophy.

I agree, to some extent. I think that all philosophy is abstract thought. Writing a book about an idea isn't philosophy.
To me, philosophy is in how we approach life. What do we perceive, and how do we relate to it? Many people have a 'philosophy' they live by, for instance 'think positive' or 'turn the other cheek', or whatever. These are not coherent, comprehensive theories about something we don't even know if exists. They are philosophical approaches to practical issues.

When it comes to philosophy as an academic discipline, there is always the risk of the academics getting in the way of the philosophy.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 05:48 am
@rosborne979,
U choose to ASSUME that absence of evidence
is evidence of absence. That is not good science. That is not good logic.

David
rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 07:40 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

You've got it backwards David. You're the one making the larger assumption, not me.

Unless you're making the point that since we can't know anything for certain that we can't know anything at all. But that's just dimwitted, so I won't accuse you of that.
imans

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 08:08 am
@rosborne979,
how cant u know that a cow dont think?? only bc some words of a dirty book said in the name of god that men are like animals but above them and how cows and aunts are and made whole chapters for each species of animals, so then animals think bc u think in less terms\///

why??? bc u mean that only god exist, so the creator having his thoughts abstractions in his creations make his creations think too like him???

then talk about ur god thoughts moron since it is never urs end for sure, since thoughts are not free then u cant use it individually
say what u say usually instead of faking using big terms like others normal beings, say that anything u think or say is bubbling some dirty water since meant to come out from u which is not possible but u r through by force
moron ****

how a cow think and call it a she, **** u piece of pervert will insisting to mean everything as a thing it can get inn to play with like it wants for free **** u and all universe together forever

while im sure tht u are calling for business now god as she, and fancy on the possibility to say that a cow can also be a god so it is easier for u to claim ur right of being a god as a human and a male while the reason is mostly due to the fact that u r a moron **** that refuse radically to function but in terms of absolute inferiority for the sense of constant gains

only humans are conscious and u know that very well, the scientific justification of it is that only humans are relatively free which mean that they are above their bodies in true sense of controlling it and using it for themselves wills and needs
only humans are affiliated in their free sense to true superiority, which mean being the plus that confirm the thing as it is, which is the ticket and a way to b real since everything is alike in truth

**** u and ur animals and ur kingdom expectation of hells u gonna enjoy it for sure especially hand made for u n ur god
aspvenom

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 07:03 pm
@imans,
you remind me of a friend's crazy first generation asian mom. Broken english, hard to understand, very strong opinion, minds everyone's business attitude, and no one can argue with her, or else she threatens you with her hand fan.
Cute and entertaining (scary when you're in actually in front of her), but fail.
imans

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2012 08:34 pm
@aspvenom,
it doesnt matter what u remember shitty or who i am to u, im not a matter of u nor that u ever matter, **** u with all ur neighbors and ur dirty pervert head insisting in pointing females existence just to get some free matters out to itself pretense of being superior, **** u endlessly with ur hypocrisy and ur love to play with shits, endlessly until u get down to hell forever
aspvenom

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 11:10 am
@imans,
What if hell doesn't exist?
imans

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 02:55 pm
@aspvenom,
of course it doesnt exist but it should im free to mean whatever i want since im not doing it if it does make sense to me and make me feel better within my perspectives stands
imans

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 02:59 pm
@imans,
and hell is to b forced to down by what u might consider inferior to u or hell could b true so objective fact of existence punished forever
aspvenom

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 03:43 pm
@imans,
I don't consider you inferior. I don't consider the friend's mom I mentioned as inferior. I'm all right with weirdness, without it this world would be boring. So no hard feelings, but I still think cows can't philosophize or think as deeply as humans. And it's not because of a religious book, but because of the advances in neuroscience.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2012 04:01 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

You've got it backwards David.
You're the one making the larger assumption, not me.
Please identify WHICH assumption u attribute to me.

David
imans

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 11:41 am
@OmSigDAVID,
u r the one that assume absence being existing to deal with as a fact, if there is nothing it cant mean that nothing exist
while for u yes, the fact that we dont yet know that animals think allow us to believe that they might b thinking now

in truth, u r an inferior for sure u must go down eternally
noone can b existing unless he identify what exist as having to b the most superior to absolute positive present thing
there cant b less then that way of being to b existing for real

but ur kind actually are inferiors bc they cant accept else for what they become when they kill all else, that is why u love to invent how nothing is the base of all possibilities even the most crazy ones

**** u
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 02:19 pm
@imans,
Other than vague, disorganized disapproval,
I cannot understand what u wrote.

I will do myself a favor by casting u out of my world.
Within a few seconds: u will be on Ignore. Good bye.

David
Cyracuz

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 03:22 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Most people have imans on ignore. Few are willing to decipher bad English only to get insults and nonsense from it.

We had another who started out similar. Fil's English was horrible at the start, and he has a foul tongue on him sometimes. But he makes an effort to learn, which makes me want to make an effort to communicate. I wish imans would follow Fil's good example.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 05:06 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:
Most people have imans on ignore.
Few are willing to decipher bad English only to get insults and nonsense from it.

We had another who started out similar. Fil's English was horrible at the start, and he has a foul tongue on him sometimes. But he makes an effort to learn, which makes me want to make an effort to communicate.

I wish imans would follow Fil's good example.
He can do whatever he wants,
while I keep him on Ignore.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 05:28:41