Book Festivals: Ever partaken in the feast of authors and book?

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 09:10 am
I'm thinking about attending the Brooklyn Book Festival this year. It would be a first for me. I especially like that all of the events are free.

Have you ever attended a large scale book festival or even a small scale book festival? Have you met any of your favorite authors?
http://www.brooklynbookfestival.org/BrooklynBookFestival/festival.html

This bunch of authors are mostly unknown to me or at least their works have remained unread by me so that's reason not to attend this year.
http://www.brooklynbookfestival.org/BrooklynBookFestival/authors.html

But John Hodgman and Sloane Crosley will be there this year and it might be interesting to hear them speak and then get an autograph if that's possible.

Quote:
Finding the Funny: The Humor of the Everyday. Humorists John Hodgman (The Areas of My Expertise), Sloane Crosley (How Did You Get This Number), and Kristen Schaal and Rich Blomquist (The Sexy Book of Sexy Sex) discuss their work.
BOROUGH HALL COURTROOM

I'm kind of disappointed in the lack of recognizable science fiction writers in the bunch but I guess since it's a free event I could perhaps go and discover one their midst... perhaps.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 722 • Replies: 6
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 09:39 am
@tsarstepan,
I've not visited book festivals for many years. However, Saturday and Sunday on C-SPAN often covers several book fairs. I enjoy them greatly.

BBB
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 10:04 am
I'm going to a book reading/signing at one o'clock CST
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 10:10 am
@chai2,
Who are you seeing? Will you be getting an autograph from the author?

Will you be stalking the author afterwards? Wink
djjd62

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 10:16 am
@tsarstepan,
if you meet john hodgman, be sure to inform him that he is a funny, funny man, because, well, he is
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 11:20 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Who are you seeing? Will you be getting an autograph from the author?

Will you be stalking the author afterwards? Wink

You know what?

I don't even know who it is.

My husband plays pool with this guy Pete, whose daughter is an author.
The daughter is going to be at Book People, and Mr. Chai just wants to put in an appearance.

Cool with me, since it'll be like a date. We'll walk across the street to Whole Foods afterwards for a treat.

I saw David Sedaris at Book People once. OMG, he's even funnier in person!

Well, I'm off.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 11:27 am
@chai2,
David Sedaris?! You lucky chai flavored dog!!
0 Replies