What's the most interesting "earworm" you've ever gotten stuck in your brain

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 11:07 pm
Mine is "Rhapsody in Blue," COMPLETE WITH PIANO AND ORCHESTRATION, which drove me to distraction for nearly two weeks. What finally stopped it was actually listening to the piece as played by Gershwin himself.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 2,373 • Replies: 29
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 07:46 am
The most embarrassing one for me was the refrain to Nine Inch Nails "Closer to God", which is absolutely filthy. I would catch myself singing it at the most inappropriate times. It stayed for about a week.
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 10:46 am
Soul Coughing - Down to This, from the album Ruby Vroom
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 11:29 am
I ache for the touch of your lips, dear
but much more for the touch of your whips, dear
You can raise welts
like nobody else
as we dance to the masochism tango.

A catchy tune from Tom Lehrer.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 11:48 am
"Sweet Georgia Brown"
Something about the rhythm of my starting to jog sets it off.
--and--
"The Hustle"
The DJ in my head plays it when I ski.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 11:53 am
This song has run through my head constantly since childhood, Dad would listen to anything that told a story, so a lot of cowboy ballads and delta blues
this may just be the best song ever made.

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 12:17 pm
@GoshisDead,
Hey Gosh, have you seen this thread?

http://able2know.org/topic/797-1

("Songs That Tell Stories.")

I have a constant internal soundtrack, but it's very hard to control. Right now it's a song that my daughter would sing in 1st grade, that she and some friends made up. It's to the tune of some popular song that I don't know. "Have I Ever Told You How Much I Love You" or something. But their version is "Have I Ever Told You How Weird Your Butt Is."

Argh.
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 12:19 pm
@sozobe,
I do too have a constant internal soundtrack, its almost like having my own theme music. In the last few years to keep it under control I listen to NPR or Books, but that has simply given me a hyperactive inner monologue. Which is better someone always talking to you or singing to you in your head? either way its a bit schizo.
sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 12:21 pm
@GoshisDead,
Sometimes it's just instrumental. (Classical, jazz, whatever.) But yeah. ("Tell The Truth" by Otis Redding just started. Much better. Love the bass line.)
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 02:03 pm
@GoshisDead,
I have read that constant earworms can be symptomatic of OCD and depression
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 02:14 pm
@mags314772,
There are now 11 posts in this thread, excuse me for a second my blade has warmed up to the perfect tempurature for cutting, if I don't get to it while it is at 98.9 I will have to heat it again.
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 02:16 pm
This is Your Brain on Music, by Daniel Levitin. Here’s what I learned from Levitin: There is relatively little scientific work done on the topic of earworms. What is clear is that

musicians are more likely to have ear worm attacks than non-musicians, and . . . people with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) are more likely to report being troubled by ear worms—in some cases medications for OCD can minimize the effects.
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 02:20 pm
@mags314772,
Yikes, I'm doomed
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 03:48 pm
@mags314772,
the wonderful people @ http://unhearit.com/ have come up with the earworm solution. Replace it with an even more annoying song.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 03:59 pm
@GoshisDead,
Darn you GoahisDead....

Your website played me the Sanford and Son theme... Now I can't concentrate on anything.
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 04:13 pm
@maxdancona,
HA! TAKE THAT! It would be awesomesauce if the site were a giant Rick Roll Ruse
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 05:51 pm
@GoshisDead,
Puttin on the Ritz sung by Leon Redbone. It took a hell of a while getting that one rinsed out.
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 05:55 pm
@farmerman,
I only ever hear the Young Frankenstein version when I put on the ritz in my head
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 05:59 pm
@farmerman,
Don't ever even think of mentioning Strangers in the Night (Sinatra) to me. I hated that song from the first and probably because I did it is well embedded.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 06:25 pm
@GoshisDead,
HA, often when I had the LEon REdbone version in my head, Id do the reprise line "Puuddden ONna Reeeaaaaatz" just like the monster .

NOW ya did it, there it is again .

MAYBE A QUICK RINSE will do.