Are the views and opinions of this forum too unbalanced?

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:14 pm
Having been a member here for the past two weeks, I can't help but notice that while everyone here is incredibly intelligent, insightful, and has a lot to offer, the actual views themselves seem somewhat onesided?

I'm speaking based on my experience on the politics forum. It seems as though the vast majority of people here hold extreme liberal viewpoints while the vast majority of americans are far more moderate or conservative. Being a liberal myself, I've never personally experienced this but it seems as though the few that express conservative views are often overwhelmed and end up leaving. And I fear that as I spend more and more time here, my views on politics themselves will become more and more polarized by these forums further cutting me off from being able to understand or relate with the general public's views.

I can't help but feel that these forums would be GREATLY enchanced if it has more individuals holding, speaking up for, and defending more divergent viewpoints. It would serve to give us a better understanding of where people are coming from and enhance our perspective on issues.

Does anyone else share this belief?

P.S. On a side note, how did you come to know of this place and why did you start becoming so hooked to it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,432 • Replies: 53
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:24 pm
Actually, I've noticed the same thing. There does seem to be a lot of "ganging up."

But that's the nature of the beast -- if the roles were reversed the same thing would happen. Maybe it's better when you have one Conservative being attacked by a bunch of Liberals. (or vice-versa)

Then you can easily follow the antagonist, a cardinal in a murder of crows. If he or she brings good viewpoints and has valid arguments, it's entertaining to watch the exchange.

If there are an equal amount, say 12 against 12, then the whole thing blows up into a shouting match, tempers flare, nobody wins.

I haven't yet seen a David bring down a Goliath, but I'm still watching.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:35 pm
It's highly entertaining to watch the conservatives get skewered.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:42 pm
I know what you mean, Centroles. I try to always acknowledge the more reasonable conservative posters, though I fail. What I dislike the most is when the reasonable ones are either a) chased off or b) feel so ganged-up on that they become unreasonable. Then too many of the ones who stay are the ones who were unreasonable from the get-go or become unreasonable. (Note, there are many conservative posters who do manage to remain reasonable.)

While I'm not a fan of labels I am if anything a liberal, but I am interested in opposing perspectives, especially if they are reasonably presented.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:55 pm
Yes, it would be fun if there were more divergent views - though I think only in the USA would most of the "liberal" views here be seen as extreme.

I suppose it is a bit self-perpetuating, since it is difficult to be in a minority, and there IS a lot of ganging up, in my view.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:56 pm
Despite my little joke, I can respect a conservative, but not the neocons maskerading as conservatives.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 10:02 pm
I too find it quite sad when some one with a conservative view quickly gets ganged up on and ends up leaving.

The greatest benefit this forum provides is letting people understand the views of others and see the world from different perspectives. I would love to see this flourish. And I think it would do so if we had several people with very divergent views on both economics and politics, global and local.

On a side note, how did you first come to know of this place and why/how long did it take for you become hooked to it.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 11:26 pm
Only two votes!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 11:36 pm
Some of us here are willing to argue either way, so I didn't vote. Sure, it's a pretty liberal forum, but spend enough time here and you will find a diverse group of people and opinions.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 11:47 pm
Centroles, welcome to the forums. Smile

The longer you participate, you'll see that the political forums are lively, and there are some really good viewpoints from both liberals and conservatives. Don't be surprised when a liberal member gets ganged up on, and the person either leaves, or says they won't particpate any longer - and then a few post later, the person resumes discussing the subject. Often, the subject is lost in the arguing - hilarious sometimes, and sometimes not, but always interesting.

btw, one of those votes is mine Cool
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 11:51 pm
And every once in a while, you will see someone you had classified as extreme liberal fringe say something you completely agree with. Of course, there are also some who will never be a surprise.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:04 am
I am a wildeyed liberal with little pockets of personal conservatism. I like the back and forth and am not always on the side of Forth in contrast to Back that one might think. Or to be fair, back vs forth.

It is true, that I feel a certain comfort here, but I want conservatives to feel that too. Not from numbers but from listeners.

I notice, as a semihemidemioutsider to the politics foray that some of the ablest arguers appreciate each other, and this is exhilarating to me. I cannot argue at their level, but I appreciate both sides, plus, folks, we have not two sides in the US but at least four, and on a2k, we are nicely placed around the world and it is NOT all about the US on this forum.

Part of why I stay here on a2k, actually a large part - the access to hearing. It is hard for a person in north northern California (had I been born and raised here) to cotton on to the news that there are so many other points of view out there in space, some fair number very worth listening to. Well, I wasn't raised here and I know there are, and being here on a2k is part of hearing.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:22 am
I think most of the Western world is more liberal than the US, although there they're the minority.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:29 am
I could certainly put up with a few more conservatives here, provided they post intelligently. McGentrix is one, and he likes to push buttons, but he's made me laugh too. "Neo-con" is a new term to me. I do know that there have been a few wayyy right-wing crazies here too. A nice balance is a good thing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:31 am
So do I, responding to Infrablue.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:37 am
The conservatives have generally decided to let the radicals have the political forum. Some posters there were applauded for saying things like they hoped the US would suffer terribly for it's Iraq policies, and that they would rather see American casualties in overthrowing the elected government in Washington than to defeat Saddam. It just isn't worth corresponding with that crowd.

Try the Roundtable where more balanced views are exchanged. Though the Roundtable began as a sanctuary for conservatives, it quickly became a place where any rational person was welcomed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:45 am
Overthrowing? Perhaps we could elect a new person?

Well, I dunno about crowds. Groups have their ways, and some hold sway.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:51 am
I remember those, asherman, but not the applause. Some rationalization, perhaps.

Roundtable, yeah. I have visions of one of the liberal members standing on a stump, with his sleeves rolled up, standing off two or three informed, literate conservatives. It's a glorious sight, and I wish it were more frequent.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 01:20 am
Asherman wrote:
The conservatives have generally decided to let the radicals have the political forum. Some posters there were applauded for saying things like they hoped the US would suffer terribly for it's Iraq policies, and that they would rather see American casualties in overthrowing the elected government in Washington than to defeat Saddam. It just isn't worth corresponding with that crowd.

Try the Roundtable where more balanced views are exchanged. Though the Roundtable began as a sanctuary for conservatives, it quickly became a place where any rational person was welcomed.

Rational equalling conservative, Asherman?

For a person who has knowledge of other cultures and realities, you seem here to be responding from a very parochial viewpoint.

As I said above, only in the USA - and possibly some right wing oligarchies or pseudo-democracies, like South Korea, could the "liberal" views here be seen as radical!

I do not deny that some of the progressives here are abusive and offensive - as are some of the radical right-wingers - however, the herd is more obvious and impactful - and here, the herd is somewhat left of centre - so they have a greater impact when they baaaaa and low.

What is your problem with people saying that they hope the US suffers for its Iraq policies, other than knee-jerk and un-critical patriotism? Why should the US not suffer for its mistakes, (assuming for argument's sake that those who see the invasion of Iraq as a mistake are as well-intentioned and reasonable as you? I know you do not see this - but, if you value diversity and freedom, and rational thought, as much as you claim to, you OUGHT to at least acknowledge reasonable disagrreement, no?) as other countries do?

Yes, the left of centre gang up on the right of centre here. I see it, and hate it. However, it seems to me to be just an accident of circumstance - perhaps, if you read some of the things people say, with an open mind, you might learn something.

I try to, from the right, you know.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 01:21 am
where is this round table you speak of?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Are the views and opinions of this forum too unbalanced?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:16:12