I forgot my Windows XP password,so how to find it?

prhone

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 12:50 am
I forgot my Windows XP password,so how to find it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 5,171 • Replies: 11

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:50 am
@prhone,
Next time, write it down someplace you remember; tape it on your computer if it's for spam and outside security. Otherwise, all you can do is try to guess what password you used - like nicknames, names you like, birthdate, or a combination of those.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 03:52 am
@prhone,
Ophcrack v3.3.1 (LiveCD v2.3.1)
About.com Rating 4.5 Star RatingUser Rating 3 Star Rating (120 Reviews) Write a reviewBy Tim Fisher, About.com Guide
See More About:ophcrackpassword recovery toolsadministrator passwordswindows vista passwordswindows xp passwords Ophcrack Version 3.3.1 (LiveCD Version 2.3.1)
Sponsored Links
Password Recovery - $9.95
Find your old password instantly with Password Recovery. Save $9.95.
www.prosoft3d.com/passwordrecovery/

Admin Password Recovery
Reset Windows Admin Password. Get back to your own computer now.
www.spotmau.com

Make Your PC Faster
Download Free Registry Scan and See What's Slowing Your PC Down!
www.pctools.com
PC Support Ads
Windows XP Software

Free PC Software

Crack a Password

Download Software

PC
Sponsored Links
Speed up your PC’s
Instantly and forever with #1 MS Certified Defrag. Try Free.
www.Diskeeper.com

Slow Computer?
Fix Errors, Boost PC Speed Microsoft Certified. Free Download
Uniblue.com/PCSpeedBooster
The Bottom Line
The Ophcrack Windows password cracker is the best free Windows password recovery tool available. Ophcrack is fast and easy enough for a first time password cracker with basic Windows skills.

In a Hurry?: Read my review below or skip to the complete step-by-step guide to Ophcrack LiveCD.

Save time and energy by skipping the other tools (even the expensive premium Windows password recovery programs) and download, burn and use the LiveCD version of Ophcrack.

After just a few minutes of running the software, Ophcrack will find all of your passwords and display them on screen! Yes, it's that easy!

Visit Their Website
Pros
Software is freely available for download online
Passwords are recovered automatically using the LiveCD method
No software installation is necessary to recover passwords
No knowledge of any existing passwords is necessary
Ophcrack works with Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP
Cons
Some antivirus programs mistakenly identify Ophcrack as a Trojan or virus (see Guide Review below)
496MB (7/Vista) / 415MB (XP) LiveCD ISO image must be downloaded
LiveCD ISO image must be burned to a CD before being used
Description
Ophcrack can recover 99.9% of passwords from nearly any Windows installation in seconds.
The Ophcrack LiveCD option allows for completely automatic password recovery.
LiveCD method requires no installation in Windows, making it a safe alternative to many other password recovery tools.
No Windows passwords need to be known to use the Ophcrack LiveCD to crack your Windows passwords.
Opchrack can crack passwords for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP.
Guide Review - Ophcrack v3.3.1 (LiveCD v2.3.1)
Ophcrack v3.3.1, in its LiveCD form (currently at v2.3.1), is the best Windows password recovery tool available. Its nearly fool-proof operation, automatic password recovery, and overall speed puts Ophcrack in a league of its own.

To get started, visit the Ophcrack site and click on the Download ophcrack LiveCD button. On the next page, click on either the XP or Vista link to download the correct ISO image file for your operating system. Choose the Vista version for Windows 7 as well. This file may take some time to download.

An ISO file contains everything that should go on a CD or DVD in a single file. The Ophcrack LiveCD ISO file contains SliTaz (a Linux distribution), the Ophcrack software, and other files needed to recover passwords. Don't worry about the details - the Ophcrack LiveCD is fully automatic - no Linux experience required.

Important: Some antivirus programs unnecessarily identify one or both of two files included in Ophcrack as a Trojan or other kind of malware - samdump.dll and pwservice.exe. Both of these files are part of an open source program called pwdump which is included with Ophcrack and is necessary for it to work. The pwdump program is classified more or less as "evil" since it can be used to extract passwords... which of course is exactly what you're trying to do.

So don't worry about your antivirus program's flagging of these files (as long as it's just these files). Ignore it and continue on with the process:

After downloading, burn the Ophcrack ISO image to a CD. Burning an ISO file is a different than burning a normal file. Check out How to Burn an ISO Image File to a CD or DVD for more on that topic.

After burning, boot to the CD by rebooting your PC with the disc in the drive. Linux will load, Ophcrack will start, and the password recovery will begin.

Ophcrack will locate the users on your Windows system and begin cracking their passwords. The process is automatic - you don't usually need to type or click anything. When the passwords are displayed on screen, write them down. Remove the CD, reset your computer and log on to Windows with your newly recovered password.

The Ophcrack LiveCD requires some preparation but this password recovery tool is by far the best!

Guide's Response to User Reviews
"Thanks for the comments about Ophcrack being infected with a Trojan, virus, or spyware. Fortunately, this is not actually the case. Some antivirus programs identify software included with Ophcrack as malware, which it is not. See the Important call-out in my review above for more information." - Tim Fisher, Your Guide to PC Support
Having Problems Using Ophcrack?
Did you have problems running Ophcrack or did Ophcrack not find your Windows password? Try another free Windows password recovery tool or maybe even a premium Windows password recovery tool.
Visit Their Website
User Reviews
1 out of 5Does not work, Guest bitsink
Failed to find any passwords on Win 7 Pro 64bit PC

Write a review0 out of 0 people found this helpful.
Was this review helpful to you? Yes | No

See all 120 reviews

More on Ophcrack and Passwords
Complete Guide to Ophcrack LiveCD
Best Free Password Recovery Tools
How To Change Your Windows Vista Password
How To Change Your Windows XP Password
How To Burn an ISO Image File to a CD or DVD
More on Windows Passwords
Create a Windows Password Reset Disk
What is an ISO File?
How to Remember Your Password
How to Boot From a CD or DVD Disc
Related Articles
Ophcrack Password Recovery - Choose the Correct Ophcrack LiveCD Version
Password Recovery - Top 5 Free Windows Password Recovery Tools - Password C...
PC Support, - StepBySteps
Offline NT Password & Registry Editor Review - Password Recovery Software R...
Frequently Asked Questions About Windows Password Recovery Programs

Tim Fisher
PC Support Guide

My BlogMy ForumSponsored Links
ISO Burner Software
Download software to create or burn iso CD / DVD files.
burning.nch.com.au/software

Free Password Manager
Never Forget Your Passwords Again. Over 32 Million Downloads To Date
www.RoboForm.com

WiFi Sniffer - Download
Monitor wireless traffic. Download now!
www.Paessler.com/download

1-2-3 Password Recovery
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 06:51 am
@prhone,
Do you have any other users setup on your pc, or do you only have the one logon?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:55 am
I always use Offline NT Password and Registry Editor.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 11:02 am
@DrewDad,
Thanks, DD, I made a hard copy for my computer archives.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 11:47 am
@DrewDad,
I can second that. I just used it last week to recover access to a laptop whose owner had forgotten the password, I just burned their disc, booted off of it, and it let me select the username to change the password for and also gave the option to remove the password (safer to do this, then just go in and set it with windows account control).
rcmichelle002

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 02:09 am
@Robert Gentel,
Last time I forgot my password and tried everything i could do but failed, until I found this great tool Windows Password Software. It works great, and you can google it.you can try to google it.
0 Replies

StochasticBeauty

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 12:31 am
@prhone,
find open source password recovery software. Best way to find the specialized software for windows password is to google for it. You certainly don't have to pay for it; look on torrents and warez too; make sure to scan whatever you download before opening it.

There tends to be specialized software though. But if you end up having to crack a password the two methods are 'brute force' and using dictionary cracks that will constantly do permutations till it finds it.
0 Replies

syonxu

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 11:25 pm
@prhone,
You can log on as administrator on safe mode.Press F8 when you start the computer and choose Safe Mode to get in. Or use Windows Password reset disk to reset password easily. If you can not log in safe mode, try these tools bellow,it is the best method without lose anything.

1. If you have an live CD you can reset it using chntpw application

2. You can use Bart's PE + Password Renew to reset the password

3. You can use Offline NT Password Editor to reset the password.

4. You can use Windows Password Rescuer tool to reset/remove the password.
0 Replies

jackpet

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 08:31 am
@prhone,
It's very difficult to recover the original password. But you can remove a lost Windows password quickly by booting your computer from PCUnlocker Live CD. This program works with almost all versions of Windows, including Windows 8.1.
0 Replies

MarkkkHennnry

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2014 11:30 pm
@prhone,
There is no way to retain password, just you can do one thing,
Format pc and install fresh copy of windows xp
0 Replies