Science Fiction and Fantasy - what is hot, what is good?

dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 04:50 am
OK - this is the undiscovered country for me.

I used to love SF when I was little - and I know the classic fantasy, like LOTR and such - BUT - what is happening NOW? What is hot - what is really good?

Are they one and the same?

Please, give me the benefit of your reading!!!

Oh, and they seem separate genres to me - pretty much - yet they get lumped together - are they different?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,493 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:23 am
http://www.scifan.com/

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/index.html

These two links might be useful. Harry Potter, of course, is The hero these days. Quite possibly up-and-coming is Eragon the first volume of a fantasy trilogy written by a home-schooled 19 year old, Christopher Paolini.

Robert Jordan is "hot" but as his saga drags on and on.... His fans have created many-many websites.

Terry Pratchet--British import.

More when I wake up.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:36 am
Thankee, Noddy.

An afficionado, I see.

So - what is good, or hot, about these things?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 04:11 pm
Right now all these authors are all in the news (that interests f/sf readers).

About 50 years ago I decided that Science Fiction probably had numbers somewhere in the story line and that Fantasy didn't. Most publishers make the choice for you.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 04:52 pm
Heinlein once said that when spaceships make u-turns, the story is fantasy. Not all writers seem to have read this.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 08:07 pm
What about gravity wells?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:14 am
I think that's good nomenclature, littlek. Maybe a bit overworked.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:35 am
LOL!!!!!

That is very funny.

I thought fantasy was all elves and unicorns and quests and mediaevalish places and darkness and magicalish stuff...

Anyone got more hotties?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 02:06 am
Tanya Huff and Charels DeLint both do very strong, entertaining, and downright lyrical urban fantasy (with an intense Canadian flavour (eh?)!).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 04:13 am
Canajun! I see! Thankee.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 09:13 am
Re: Canadian f/sf authors:

David Duncan who also publishes as Dave Duncan is delightful reading.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 12:20 pm
Haven't read Dave Duncan. Jane Yolen and Teri Windling are another pair of writers who do urban fantasy. Windling edited a series called "Borderlands" a few years back, all of which seem to have gone out of print. Sigh! Sad
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 04:57 am
Sheri S. Tepper--feminist and ecologist who manages to tell good stories as well.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 05:42 am
littlek wrote:
What about gravity wells?

You mean like a u-turn around a non-rotating dwarf star, as in 'Protector' by Larry Niven?

Could happen.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 07:40 am
Thankee - more anyone? I want the really popular stuff as well.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 08:00 am
Hmm...while not exactly new, I absolutely loved Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy, Titus Groan, Gormenghast (made into a fine TV movie), and Titus Alone. The novels fall more into the fantasy realm, but are so surreal, funny and erudite, they are almost a genre unto themselves.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 08:03 am
YES! I had forgotten them! I shall add them. Haven't read them in years...and the Illuminati trilogy...thank you! And, of course, things like the Narnia books in Kiddy lit...

Any knowledge, anyone, of what is hot and selling - as well as the fine stuff?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 08:09 am
Peake's trilogy was released in a single paperback volume recently, including several critical essays and an unfinished 4th novel.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 10:20 am
I have been waiting for George R. Martin to release his next book for 3 years...love that series. Love Jordan as well, but by the time the next one comes out you have to reread the other 9 just to catch up.
Terry Goodkind is good too, but then he started getting very political...not my cup of tea..but already liked the characters. Years ago, Stephen R. Donaldson had a great series "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever" I guess I am more drawn to the Fantasy Side.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 12:25 pm
Fantasy best seller list:

http://www.fantasytitles.com/top303.htm
0 Replies