How do you wash a llama wool blanket?

Lash

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 08:04 pm
OK, I googled this, but the answer seems sketchy - and my fiance knows I hate this blanket, because his former evil fuckmate gave it to him - and I have threatened to do a number of vile things to it.

Fill the tub 1/2 full, so says eAsk - gently rub the blanket against itself using dish detergent :> Blot excess water with towels and lay flat... I really don't want to ruin it. Does anyone else know a bwetter way? We take it to the coast and it smells awful. I'm not even sure this brilliant bathtub scheme will work.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 6,629 • Replies: 11

dyslexia

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 08:06 pm
@Lash,
1/4 stick of 40% dynamite.
Lash

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 08:08 pm
@dyslexia,
OTAY! (still giggling)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 08:16 pm
@Lash,
1. Get a case or two of Thunderbird fortified wine;
2. Soak the blanket in the wine for 7 days and 7 nights;
3. Squeeze out the excess wine;
4. Throw it into the washing machine on cold (don't waste any money on laundry detergent);
5. Line dry it;
6. Donate it to an arbitrary homeless person on any given sidewalk or alley.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 08:25 pm
@Lash,
Is it dirty or is it just llama wool stinky?

Different protocols. Also, if it's just llama wool stinky, you probably don't want to wash it - just don't take it somewhere where it can get wet.
Lash

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 08:30 pm
@ehBeth,
Well, it has a few stains and it stinks of San Francisco Bay water. Thank you for showing up. I knew you'd know!
ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 08:44 pm
@Lash,
I'd go with one round of just soaking it in cold water in the tub - drying it thoroughly (starting with a couple of rounds of just rolling it in towels, before letting it dry flat).

Then cold water and Woolite in the tub. Soak, rinse, rinse, rinse. Dry.

Keep dry.

Do not let it go back to the Bay. I find that llama is just one of those fibres that smells like wet dog when it gets wet.

If you have access to a really good industrial washer and dryer, you can wash and dry it in a machine, but it's got to be cold wash/gentle cycle for the washer (and use Woolite) and you've got to spend about $85000 in quarters on the fluff cycle on the dryer.

Llama's a wonderful fibre, but it does need some love.

http://highllama.myshopify.com/pages/llama-properties

I understand why "the fiance" would want to take it to SF Bay - it's warm even when it's wet. Maybe you can convince him to use towels under the llama blanket so it won't be as stinky.
Lash

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 09:01 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you so much! I will try to keep it away from the Bay. But, it IS the warmest thing ever. ...and yep. Wet dog.
Lash

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 07:53 pm
Beth - thank you so much. The blanket looks and smells awesome!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 07:53 pm
@Lash,
Should have listened to my advice and regifted it to the needy! Wink
http://declanod.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/teddy4wp.jpg
Captioned appropriately:
Cold teddybear contemplates snowdrops. Can spring be far behind?
He could have used a llama wool blanket....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 07:57 pm
@dyslexia,
I second dys's recommendation.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:30 pm
@Lash,
dry clean and disinfect. you don't wash wool clothing unless you want to shrink it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How do you wash a llama wool blanket?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 08:51:18