Give me your best suggestions for take along paperbacks

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 11:03 am
for a two week vacation in Nova Scotia (Cape Breton). Along with the seafood and beautiful sights my husband and I would like some suggestions for reading purely escapist but good literature. Any ideas from my book loving friends on A2K? Ossobuco?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,367 • Replies: 27
No top replies

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 11:33 am
@Vietnamnurse,
I don't know if its considered good lit but its escapist and funhttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510tAelXkBL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 12:12 pm
@Vietnamnurse,
I'm not sure about fun, exactly, but I've enjoyed reading many of the books in the Soho Crime series, both for the level of writing generally and for the wide variety of locations for the various books. Hard now to remember particular favorites though..

http://www.sohocrime.com/backlist.php
Click on any title and a blurb about the book will appear.
djjd62

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 12:17 pm
@Vietnamnurse,
http://www.recreatingtampa.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/CityCityMieville.jpg
The City & The City
China Miéville

New York Times bestselling author China Miéville delivers his most accomplished novel yet, an existential thriller set in an enthralling city that is unlike any other - real or imagined

When the body of a murdered woman is found in the extraordinary, decaying city of Beszel, somewhere at the edge of Europe, it looks like a routine case for Inspector Tyador Borlú of the Extreme Crime Squad. But as he probes, the evidence begins to point to conspiracies far stranger, and more deadly, than anything he could have imagined. Soon his work puts him and those he cares for in danger.

Borlú must travel to the only metropolis on Earth as strange as his own, across a border like no other. It is a journey as psychic as it is physical, a shift in perception, a seeing of the unseen, a journey to Beszel's equal, rival, and intimate neighbor, the rich and vibrant city of Ul Qoma.

With shades of Kafka and Philip K. Dick, Raymond Chandler and 1984, The City & The City is a murder mystery taken to dazzling metaphysical and artistic heights.
Vietnamnurse

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 08:37 pm
Thanks to you all. I really appreciate your responses and will look for them. I do want some good reads...good narrative and good character development. I am in need of escape...in books which are my favorite way to do that. If you think of any others just let me know. I enjoy reading the responses on the book forum, but don't want to carry some heavy books in the suitcase!
roger

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 08:50 pm
@Vietnamnurse,
I don't have a clue about your taste, but if it runs anywhere close to alternate history or science fiction I think you might take a look at L. E. Modesitt Jr. He's kind of hard to classify, but is heavy on action, sorcery, economics, and political philosophy. I tend to avoid his straight science fiction, but it's also good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 08:50 pm
@Vietnamnurse,
You're welcome. It's hard to know what other folks would like...

Although I keep hearing good things about that book Dag liked - Master and Margarita, or something like that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 08:57 pm
@Vietnamnurse,
If you're driving up, stop at a couple of used book shops along the route.

Pick up some interesting looking books, read them, leave them behind.

I always think it's interesting how used book stores in different communities have different stashes.

If it's not obvious where to find used books in some towns, ask the cashier at a store in town. Senior centres, libraries and churches are often good sources for really good books for a coupla bucks.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 08:58 pm
@Vietnamnurse,
The White Tiger: A Novel (Man Booker Prize) by Aravind Adiga:
Be ready for culture shock and an unorthodox murder mystery;
Watership Down by Richard Adams:
You can't get more escapist then following a loose herd of rabbits trying to find a new warren ....;
I'm presently reading the megabestseller, The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo by Stieg Larsson;
and finally ... Walter Mosely's latest hero Leonid McGill is worth a gander at ... starting with The Long Fall.
Vietnamnurse

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 09:22 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth...my husband and I are addicts of used book stores and no matter where we travel , we always check them out. Good suggestion.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 09:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
I love a good mystery, tsarstepan...have read the Millenium series by Stieg Larrson. The White Tiger sounds interesting and have wanted to read Walter Mosely but haven't got around to him.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 07:50 pm
@Vietnamnurse,
Hi vietnamnurse.
I'm more than happy to make suggestions, but need a better idea of your tastes in reading matter. You might just hate what I love! Smile
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 08:14 pm
This book is a delight to read
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/33090000/33091529.jpg

The Elegance of the Hedgehog (French: L'élégance du hérisson) is a novel by the French novelist and professor of philosophy Muriel Barbery. The book follows events in the life of a concierge, Renée Michel, whose deliberately concealed intelligence is uncovered by an unstable but intellectually precocious girl named Paloma Josse. Paloma is the daughter of an upper-class family living in the upscale Parisian apartment building where Renée works.
Featuring a number of erudite characters, The Elegance of the Hedgehog is full of allusions to literary works, music, films, and paintings. It incorporates themes relating to philosophy, class consciousness, and personal conflict. The events and ideas of the novel are presented through the thoughts and reactions, interleaved throughout the novel, of two narrators, Renée and Paloma. The changes of narrator are marked by switches of typeface. In the case of Paloma, the narration takes the form of her written journal entries and other philosophical reflections; Renée's story is also told in the first person but more novelistically and in the present tense.
Vietnamnurse

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 05:09 am
@msolga,
Hi msolga...I have a varied taste...but don't really like Sci-Fi much. When I am on vacation, I just like a really good story that pulls me in and won't let go!
Vietnamnurse

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 05:10 am
@CalamityJane,
It does sound good. Thank you!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 07:45 am
@Vietnamnurse,
Quote:
When I am on vacation, I just like a really good story that pulls me in and won't let go!

Have you read any of Vikram Seth's novels, VNN?
If not, you don't know what you're missing! Smile
His most engrossing, unput-down-able novel (in my opinion) is A Suitable Boy. It is wonderful!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Suitable_Boy

Just one problem though ... it's 1349 pages long!
But seriously, I suspect you would love it!

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 07:47 am
@msolga,
Oh hang on!
I just read your introductory post.
"Purely escapist" it is not.
Vietnamnurse

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 11:34 am
@msolga,
I meant anything about politics or the current state of world affairs, msolga!!! Thanks, I think I will look up your suggestion.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 02:10 pm
@CalamityJane,
That sounds good to me..
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 02:57 pm
@ossobuco,
I clicked on the Soho crime series and was interested enough to order some...thanks Osso!