Fri 30 Jul, 2010 01:48 pm
Every year, my friends and I rent a cabin in the mountains. On Saturday we have a themed dinner where each couple is responsible for making something grand and delicious that fits the theme. Last year we did Mexican, the year before Asian. This year we are doing French.

Problem is that I really don't care for French food so I need something grand and delicious, but easy to cook... Can be any course, appetizer, side dish, main course, dessert. I initially told them I would bring french fries...

I was considering French Onion soup as I have made that before, but it requires a lot of bowls to get the cheese melted and such so that is probably out. Need to serve 16 people.

Suggestions and/or recipes would be appreciated.

CalamityJane

Fri 30 Jul, 2010 01:58 pm
If you have a Trader Joe's close by, you could buy some French cheeses, and
French thin salami, some figs and pears and have a nice platter of cheeses, salami and fruit either as appetizer or after the meal along with a baguette.
CalamityJane

Fri 30 Jul, 2010 02:06 pm
Quiche Lorraine is fairly easy

1 roll puff pastry dough
8 ounces of lean bacon
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups creme fraiche or whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup diced Gruyere, Emmentaler or Swiss cheese
salt and pepper

(you might double the ingredients and make two Quiche)

Begin by blind baking the tart shell. Fit the pastry dough to a 10 inch tart pan, pressing it firmly to the edges and bottom of the pan. Use a rolling pin to roll over the top and pinch off any extra dough. Prick the tart shell in dozens of places with the tines of a fork, then place the tart pan in the freezer for at least 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400° F. Remove the well chilled tart shell from the freezer and immediately place it in the hot oven to bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Slice the bacon in 1/4 by 1 inch strips and fry in a small skillet on low heat for about 5 minutes.
Whisk the eggs with the crème fraîche or whipping cream just until blended. Whisk in the nutmeg and a pinch or two of salt and pepper. Evenly spread the diced cheese and the cooked bacon on the bottom of the cooled tart shell. Pour the beaten eggs and cream on top of this. Carefully place the tart pan in the oven. Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Fri 30 Jul, 2010 04:11 pm
Baked brie is very easy to prepare. Just Google "baked brie" for toppings for the brie (anything from nuts, brandy, preserves, brown sugar, sundried tomates, etc., etc. Sweet or savoury, whatever suits you.

Serve with crusty French bread, crostini, crackers, apple and/or pear wedges.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Fri 30 Jul, 2010 04:26 pm
You seem like a meat and potatoes kind of guy.

A lot of French cuisine is based on peasant dishes. Hearty, stick to the ribs kind of food.

Make beef bourguignon.

Hopefully, someone will bring a potato dish, like potatoes gratiné.
ehBeth

Fri 30 Jul, 2010 04:35 pm
@McGentrix,
Will you have an opportunity to do some fishing up there?

You could use some fresh local fish as the mainstay of a grand and delicious bouillaibaise ( you can prepare it in a big stockpot over a fire ).

If you're a good bread baker, a couple of nice boules of no-knead bread would knock this right off the mountain.
Green Witch

Fri 30 Jul, 2010 05:19 pm
@ehBeth,
ehbeth beat me to the bouillaibaisse. Croissants and good coffee for breakfast.
I think french food is wonderful and most Americans have never really had it. The French are obsessed with good, fresh ingredients and that makes all the difference in the quality.
0 Replies

talk72000

Fri 30 Jul, 2010 07:19 pm
French toast is quite good and easy to make. Mix eggs and milk and some sugar . Dip a slice of bread in batter and fry it in a frying pan and trurn it over till brownish.

Of course you could try frogs legs. Twisted Evil Mr. Green 2 Cents
0 Replies

Mame

Fri 30 Jul, 2010 07:26 pm
Well, have you decided, McG?

If not, what's more French than Lapin? Yeah, braised rabbit, rabbit stew... the secret is the port sauce. Actually the secret to any French entree is the sauce, so get that down pat, for sure.

Let us know what you've decided, you have some great suggestions here.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Sun 1 Aug, 2010 12:18 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

You seem like a meat and potatoes kind of guy.

A lot of French cuisine is based on peasant dishes. Hearty, stick to the ribs kind of food.

Make beef bourguignon.

Hopefully, someone will bring a potato dish, like potatoes gratiné.

potatoes gratiné actually came up in conversation with the wife. She does that pretty well every time we have ham. Tastes yummy. I will check out the bourguignon. Meat and potatoes... nailed that.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Sun 1 Aug, 2010 02:34 am
@CalamityJane,
Yes a seasonal platter.

Although, maybe a casserole might be required, a vbig casserole.

0 Replies

saab

Sun 1 Aug, 2010 10:15 am
How about as a started Hors-dóevre
then mixed sallad
main corse boeuf bourgigion
cheese platter
apple tarte

Don´t serve rabbit for heaven´s sake. You spent half the time getting shots or buckshots out between your teeth. Or your bite into them and then it is off to the dentist
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » French cuisine
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 10:21:51