What Book Do You Wish You Did Not Read, AT All & To The End?

Roony

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 01:46 pm
I read Stephen King's "Insomnia", and even though I bored my socks off reading it, even though I didn't find it the least bit intriguing even as I finished half of the book, I kept on reading the damn thing! I dunno, maybe I kept thinking that King was saving the best for last....but as I reached the last page, I discovered that I should've let go of the book a long long time ago.
0 Replies

maya

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:17 pm
"Junkie" by William Burroughs. I read it about the time it came out when it as supposed to be timely and all that. I tried to read him again. Sometimes people try to hard to find something where there is absolutly nothing.
0 Replies

Tak

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 10:35 pm
The (brown) Eye of the World
The Eye of the World - Robert Jordan

I read this book at the insistance of my roomate and all of my other friends. I read and i read and i read and i read, and when it was finally over I felt I'd read a badly written remake of David Eddings the Belgariad. Robert jordan goes on and on and on and I hate every word he puts to paper. I've often thought that the only way i could get through the whole gawdawful series is if there were Cliff's Notes or reader's digest condensed books versions of the same. But that's just wishful thinking as those two formats are immensly detestable, regardless of which book was shortened.

Beware the Jordan!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:29 pm
Wilso wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Anything by Stephen King. I have tried to wade through a few of them. Figured that the guy is so popular, that maybe I am missing something by disliking his writing. Each time, I put it down in the middle, never bothering to find out how it ended!

I did that with The Shining. Just couldn't get through it. "IT" on the other hand was brilliant.

Try "Christine."
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:33 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Ceili, if you are going to read Rice, I suggest you stick to the Vampires and Mayfare Witches. At least those are entertaining.

"The Mummy" starts out slow but becomes pretty good too.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:37 pm
"Washington Square" by Henry James. I kept waiting for something to happen, but nothing ever did. Very little plot.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 03:04 pm
"There is no place in Earth For me" by Susan Sheehan - God, I finally finished it just because I don't like to leave books half way through it took me 4 yrs.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 08:11 pm
In my senior year we had to do this in depth report on a book of our choice from the school library. I always wanted to read Robinson Crusoe and thought here was my chance. 19 pages in I had to put it away. It bored me to tears and it was the first book I started and never finished. I don't even know if it picked up at all. My teacher was none to happy about me changing my book mid assignment. She recommended me to a book that she herself had never read, but was recommended to her titled AMERICA. This book turned out to actually be three books that made up a trilogy called America. I tried reading the first of the series, but all I got out of it was some bum of a guy who slept with every girl he met including his own elderly aunt. Needless to say I did not finish that either and flubbed my way through the report. Luckily, since even my teacher had never read the book she didn't catch any of the very deep B.S. I used in my report. I got an A.

Another book I never got through was Walden. I adored the first chapter and was looking forward to the rest of the book. It tanked for me after that first chapter. A whole chapter on the whistle of a train? A chapter on the moo of a cow?! Now I like descriptive writing but I just couldn't handle that.

Now these were all books for school that I never even finished. As for ones that I did and still don't know why The Bohr Maker (I forget the author) Some horrible sci-fi plot(less) bilge that I stubbornly hoped would get better but never did. I closed the last page and thought "What the hell was that? I paid for this?!"
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 04:03 am
"The Illuminatus Trilogy" by Shea and Wilson. It was just plain awful and a waste of time.
0 Replies

maya

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:23 pm
The Great Train Robbery" by Crichton. Started out good, but by the end I was as bored reading it as he seemed writing it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 08:50 am
I used to consider myself an enormous Stephen King fan.. I have every book he has ever published.. even his childrens books. ( yes.. childrens books Shocked ) Until I noticed a pattern.... His opening on his stories.. Like it, his plot building... like it ... character development .. like it... then WHOEVER he pays to end his stories.. hate it. HAHAHA Laughing And if he isnt paying anyone , he cant end a story for s**t! Never! So needless to say, I dropped him . > that had nothing to do with the thread hehe <

Theone book i truly hated reading / finishing was Maya Angelou's first book. Forgotten the title due to alzheimers and a few other brain farts... Embarrassed
anyway... I thought it was SOOO inflated with Oprah hype that I didnt see where it earned publication?( My opinion.. I know.. ) I had a hard time staying in the book , but I kept reading it in hopes to find the 'mentor' wisdom that was supposed to be all over in there.........

im still looking......

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:11 am
shewolf, I agree 100%. King's books are not literarily sound. He often seems to just end them without tying in all the foreshadowing. The last one of his I read was Bag of Bones. Talk about nonsense. Rolling Eyes

There was a book he wrote that contained four novelettes which I liked. One was called The Body, another, the Shawshank Redemption. Not bad.

Another book that I read in college that I finished and had no idea if I liked it or not, was By Loved Possessed.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:29 am
I just read bag of bones last month.... I think I would have been better off reading field and stream while on the toilet! hehehe
Just in case you were curious, Dreamcatcher... dont bother. I read that one too. S-S-D-S ( same s**t diffrent story )
His ideas are getting repetative.. and granted , that is what made him good... i think it is also what makes him . .. well.. suck.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:34 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:48 am
Has anyone read the book' Gal?'
0 Replies

brimstone

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 10:20 am
Harry Potter 4 + 5
Waste of time
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 12:09 am
Aldistar wrote:
As for ones that I did and still don't know why The Bohr Maker (I forget the author) Some horrible sci-fi plot(less) bilge that I stubbornly hoped would get better but never did. I closed the last page and thought "What the hell was that? I paid for this?!"

Linda Nagata wrote The Bohr Maker. To each is own I guess because I really enjoyed it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 12:18 am
Jim wrote:
"The Illuminatus Trilogy" by Shea and Wilson. It was just plain awful and a waste of time.

It was interesting early on but lost steam real quickly. I never finished it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 12:28 am
A Confederacy of Dunces

Farts are as funny to me as to the next guy, but the gastronomical rumblings of Ignatius J. Reilly were too much to take.

I never finished it.
0 Replies

Eamonn Keane

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:01 pm
The Bible. The ending was so predictable: Jesus saying he'll come back and save everyone? Oh wow, I expected him to say "Humanity is screwed. You killed me once, no second chances. Don't even bother worshipping me for 2,000+ years, I'm not changing my mind."
0 Replies