what are you?

failures art

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 07:35 am
Sounds like race and ethnicity are being blurred here.

Racially speaking, I'm half Asian, half Caucasian.

Ethnically speaking, I'm half Japanese, half Scot.

My racial composition is the same as a person who is half Korean, half Irish. However ethnically, we'd be different.

A
R
T
ebrown p

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 07:54 am
@failures art,
Art,

How much do you keep from each of your ethnicities? Have you kept the language, food or customs of either of your halves?

failures art

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 08:08 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Art,

How much do you keep from each of your ethnicities? Have you kept the language, food or customs of either of your halves?

I think I've done well at keeping it balanced. I think the ambiguous identity has inspired me to be a bit of a family historian for both halves.

On my Japanese side, I do speak the language. I studies for many years in school. My father doesn't even speak the language, so I didn't learn at home. Many food items and recipes are passed down to me as well (although now that I've adopted a vegan diet,, I partake in fewer of them). I practice aikido, which is new, but many cultural themes/philosophies are explored there.

On my Scot side, I know our family tarter and plaid. This is mostly thanks to my cousins who did the research about a decade ago. I also know the lineage back to when they immigrated. When I grew up, we ate many dishes that were from that side of the family. I've always wanted a kilt, I'm not going to lie. In Seattle, you can buy "ultilikilt," and I've debated it more than once.

I know how immigration changed both family names.

Tanoue became Tagami on my father's side.
Karr became Kerr on my mother's side.

Growing up in the Midwest, I had more white friends, and so I felt pretty comfortable with that side of me. I think on most days I identify with that side of me. I rarely get to practice or use my Japanese, but I feel good when I do.

A
R
T
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 08:27 am
@dyslexia,
Now that people move freely (and quickly) around the planet, life will be better in the future after all the races are done sleeping with each other and everyone's kids just turn to an average brown color. Good bye racism. Smile
dyslexia

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 08:41 am
@rosborne979,
exactly.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 08:47 am
@dyslexia,
If there's one thing humans are good at, it's screwing each other Smile It's only a matter of time.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 11:27 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

If there's one thing humans are good at, it's screwing each other Smile It's only a matter of time.

Razz
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 12:43 pm
@dyslexia,
What am I??? I am what I do; and who I am is how I feel
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 12:44 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

Census, I give them what they want. Polls, I can be arbitrary. I haven't answered a phone poll in many years.
yeah, that's why I quite calling you.

What were you calling him???
0 Replies