Thought Provoking Comic Strips

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 09:55 am
In its heyday Alley Oop was thought provoking, with its play on time travel and the characters moving so easily between historical periods. It gave Hamlin, the creator, a wide range of scenes to illustrate.
0 Replies

stike

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 07:02 am
'Boondocks' by 25yr old. Aaron McGruder is one I always read and which I find is unafraid to ask tough questions or mock those that need mocking....

Always scan Trudeau, but, MAN, that strip pretty much writes itself now, doesn't it? It was pretty groundbreaking a while ago, but sheesh.... I know what the strip is from the first panel.

Always had a soft spot for Calvin et Hobbes. Basically my life as a suburban kid in the 70s.

I must say. If I see ONE MORE Family Frikkin Circus where Jeffy is looking for his bicycle and he traces a bold-dashed line around the schoolyard and neighborhood and playground and over a doghouse, under a fence, through a drain pipe, waving at the mailman, flying a kite and spiralling up a lamppost down a tree riding a skateboard..... only to get home and ask "momma, what was I looking for?", well. If I see ONE more, I'ma hafta fire-bomb the chicago features syndicate offices.

Maybe not firebomb, just throw a Ziggy though-a-day calendar through their picture window.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 01:41 pm
Re "Family Circus": My man Bill Griffith has satirized it in "Zippy" over the years, and the "FC" cartoonist, to his credit, has allowed this to happen. Admittedly "FC" is beyond lame, but hey, it's for grandparents....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 03:08 pm
This is one grandparent who skips over it as rapidly as possible.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 03:25 pm
I'm a person that thrives on edgy comics like Calvin and Hobbes, Boondocks, Andy Capp, etc., but for some reason, I always check out Family circus, unless I'm in a hurry. I can't explain this; it's like I allow myself one little smidgeon of cuteness, a day. Go figure. Confused
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 05:24:47