Thought Provoking Comic Strips

Booman

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 01:35 am
..... Very Happy ..... Shocked ..... Twisted Evil ..... Cool..... Surprised ..... Twisted Evil ..... Rolling Eyes
...Setana, and I drifted off into a disscussion of the comic strip, Pogo, and agreed it was the foremost purveyor of political satire, in the funny papers.
...So-o-o, this seed has germinated into a topic that will hopefully stir up remembrances of comics that have entertained, and enlightened us through the years.
...I learned to read and think on such classics as, "Pogo", and "L'l Abner". Peanuts and Jimmy Hatlo's "They'll do it every time", also got my young mind to soaring. "Moon Mullins",also was a thinking kids comic. There are many more, this just gets the ball rolling.....Remember, there were plenty that were silly and funny that I enjoyed, but I won't mention them, if they didn't at least knead, or stir the intellect.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,883 • Replies: 64
No top replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 02:52 am
The other day I ran across one of the funniest comics I'd ever seen. This was in the Moncton Times here in Canada. Most of you must know about the situation about one of our Prime Ministers aides calling Bush a moron. Well in this comic she is making a speech with Bush standing in front of her all upset. She says " As an aide to the Prime Minister, I wish to apologize to the American people.... I am so very very sorry that your President is a moron..."

I'm still laughing and the comic is now posted on my fridge, lol.

Sorry if I offended anyone with that one.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 09:11 am
CALVIN AND HOBBES is another. Likewise DOONESBURY, OUTLAND (formerly BLOOM COUNTY), and one that is often overlooked HERMAN.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 09:48 am
My favorite would have to be "Li'l Abner". My favorite recollection was Mammy's response to the question of how she could always defeat Evil Eye Fleagle, even when he applied his double whammy. Her reply, "Good will always triumph over evil because good is nicer".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 09:54 am
Lil Abner had more influence, I think, than any strip before Doonesbury. In the late 60s it so provoked Joan Baez, by introducing a character called Joanie-Phoney, she took Al Capp to court.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 10:04 am
I read Al Capp daily, and his was a style perhaps more comparable to Matt Groenig in it's satire of American culture via the family/community.

But I'll fight to the death anyone who argues that Garry Trudeau doesn't stand very much above anyone else. Though we are talking apples and oranges, I think him the equal in American letters to Twain and Keillor.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 10:16 am
Al Capp became very politically consevative as time went on. He was particularly hard on "limousine liberals". New Jersey Senator Millicent Fenwick" and Leonard Bernstein were two more of his prominent targets.

The spell checker can't accept the fact that "cap" can be spelled with two "p's".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 10:33 am
More Capp-isms:

He gave us S.W.I.N.E. (Students Wildly Indignant about Nearly Everything)

He invented the Schmoo, but destroyed it because it went against his conservative principles to allow Schmoos to give things to people when they ought to be earning them instead.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 10:57 am
Edgar,
...I concur with your additions of the modern comics. I think Herman is the Rodney Dangerfield of characters. LIFE disrespects him. Calvin and Hobbes was my all-time favorite comic. It was quite influential too. Notice how many strips use imaginary sequences now.....Any self respecting L'il Abner lover should be able to tell me what holiday just passed on Nov. 17....And speaking of Canada, "For Better or Worse" is one of the classiest, and most unique comics ever. Can you believe they introduced a recurring gay character, almost a decade ago?
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 11:02 am
I first saw the expression, "If I had my druthers", in L;il Abner. I suppose that arc was alluding to drug addiction.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 11:38 am
I Go Pogo. The only debate is who's second best.

Doonesbury, Boonedocks are clever on the political side. For blance, the Boston Glob runs a strip called Mallard Fillmore... is it that it is less clever therefor less funny, or is it just that the right-wing duck can only fly in circles.

Krazy Kat... more or less a precursor to Pogo.

Little Nemo's Adventures in Slumberland (and Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend) for dreamers.

Anyone else out there read Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud?

but for sheer force and power of thought... Art Speigelman's Maus.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 12:46 pm
Pogo (sigh), for sure, and Archie and Mehetabel
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 12:53 pm
I've seen some very pointed commentary in both B.C. and thw Wizzard of Id.

Calvan and Hobbs remains the all time best comic strip ever.

Anybody remember Frumpy the Clown. That one took a little getting used to - then disappeared.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 12:54 pm
click here to visit donmarquis.com - home of archy and mehitabel

i dream of finding a first-edition - just to get my hands on a cover to frame.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 01:18 pm
Ebeth
Thanks for the link. I thought I knew all of the best old strips.

Personally speaking, I have three favorites. I cannot choose which one is best. They are: Pogo, Bloom County and Calvin and Hobbes. But my list of great ones is longer than my arm.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 01:29 pm
Yes, thanks Ebeth (for the correct spelling, also). There's a lot of text in Archy and Mehitabel and what the writings have to say about the human condition is evocative of some of the finest literature.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 01:37 pm
Lightwizard - don't be gettin' me started about the wit and wisdom of don marquis. Really.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 01:45 pm
Roger that, Roger..(Forgive me I couldn't resist)..Every once in a while I send up a prayer that Bob will do like Gary Trudeau, and return......I didn't know Archy & Mahitabel was a camic strip. I remember the TV special, and it was funny as h---.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 01:56 pm
Pogo, Doonesbury, Calvin and Hobbs and Dilbert
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 02:12 pm
Lightwizard - when was Archy and Mehitabel a comic strip?

I love the books......
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Thought Provoking Comic Strips
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 10:58:35