big toe joint fused

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2010 11:29 pm
I am a car salesman and my job requires walking on pavement about 90% of the day(six days a week on average).I have been off work due to pain in my big toe joints and have been getting long term disability insurance benifits. I am diagnosed as having mild arthritis in my left big toe joint. It seems to me the problem is not so much the severity of my arthritis but the the fact that I have pain from the thousands of step (toe bends)I must take a day with this occupation.
The Insurance company wants to get rid of me so they are saying that if I have my big toe joint fused I should be able to handle the walking necessities of my job.
I find this scary because I worry about possible foot knee and hip problems
If my feet are trying to compensate for the loss of mobility with so much walking.
Could anyone tell me if I can reasonably ecpect to continue working this job with a toe joint fusion? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,915 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 12:33 pm
@randomlight,
Hey Randomlight

yes, you should be able to walk with the 1st MTP fusion...

I had mine done a couple years ago and then repeated due to some other problems (I have Rheumatoid and SLE (Lupus))

The surgery can be quite painful (depending on your pain threshold) and you will not be particularly mobile for a while - but certainly, you should be able to walk again if it's just the big toe being fused. Do expect to be off work for a couple of months tho.

I've had a lot of surgery on both my feet and am walking pretty well, some days better than others, some not too much. Have no pain at all now with my big toe - only with the others - but the BIG TOE IS BRILLIANT Very Happy

http://able2know.org/topic/110136-7#post-3577299

Good luck with your procedure!
randomlight

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 04:43 pm
@Izzie,
Thanks for the kind reply, Still my question was not really about regular function. Would I be able to say walk as much as is required for a post office mail deliverer day in and day out ? Because that is how demanding my job is.
Izzie

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 05:28 pm
@randomlight,
Yep, I believe that provided your other toes are mechanically working correctly (ie. no deformities and leanings towards to big toe - that you should be able to perform you duties walking with no problem. You can get specially made shoes to support your arches and ankle to that you get off "gait" you will not transferring to one foot and temporarily you may find that you will limp for a while which could lead increased pressure on knees and hips - but with the right cast/air brace and physico and shoes - you should be good to go.

Keep us posted with any further information you have and I will see if there is anything else that may be useful info for you. The operation is quite quick if just the 1st MTP and once up and mobile, within reason, you should be able to continue a job with walking as the fusing should cause the pain in the big toe to cease. Sinply the big toe will NOT move (depending where they fuse - mine did have to be done twice, second time was a breeze and no complaints after - now the rest of the fusing in my Right foot did not work, but that's a whole 'nother story.

1 big toe - you should be cruising. Very Happy

Physio important tho!!!!!

hope this is a bit more helpful.

take care

Iz
0 Replies