looking for short story title/ author

remy

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 10:18 pm
There's a short story that I read in college that i'd like to read again. I seemed to have blocked out the author and title because I read it in an academic setting Smile. Anyway, if I remember correctly, it was about a man who was visited by an angel (?) and was told that he can only use each word one more time in his lifetime. When he's used up the words he will die. He ended up writing his best works using words only once. (I think that's how it goes.) Anyway, if this sounds familiar to anyone, can you let me know who wrote it and what the title is? I've tried to search for it online but none of the search strings I used worked. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 682 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 11:37 pm
Couldn't be by Jorge Luis Borges??????
0 Replies

remy

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 04:31 pm
Jorge Luis Borges
thnaks for giving me a place to start my search. i'm checking it out now and it looks promising
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:31 pm
Must have been Dr Johnson.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 05:33 pm
A friend of mine has written a novel that uses each word only once. I've heard him read sections of it. The narrative is a bit fractured, as you might imagine...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:06 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Must have been Dr Johnson.
Laughing

I don't know who wrote the story to which you're referring, but it sounds really interesting and quite bizarre.

How long is this novel, D'artagnan? I can't imagine lasting 1 page, never mind 500 pages, without using more than one 'that'....
0 Replies