If I join the National Guard, can my current employer fire me?

parados

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:33 pm
@roger,
I realize that.

Just wanted people to know joining the guard won't prevent a firing if they have cause.

"You can't fire me, I joined the guard after my last warning." isn't going to work as a defense if they have just cause.

(Not that I think maporsche is in that situation but for anyone else that might think it's a way to save a job.)
roger

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 08:35 pm
@parados,
I see what you mean. I can be a little cynical, myself.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 09:14 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Just wanted people to know joining the guard won't prevent a firing if they have cause
Obviously we are talking about employees who get around the law by technically eliminating your job, and making you apply for a new one which you will never quite be qualified for, or saying that you have missed training and you cant work till you take it and the next one is in say 6 months....stuff like that. Even if they let you on the property they have ways to make clear that your career with them is over, that it is time to move along.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:19 pm
@parados,
Gotcha, thanks parados.

I am not in that situation though. I just got a promotion 3 months ago and just had my first quarterly performance evaluation last week and I had earned a ranking of 4 out of 5 (reserved for top 20% of staff). I've been with this company for over 10 years and have steadily and consistently been promoted every 1-2 years to my current role.

But good to clarify in case others read this.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 05:20 am
Make sure your recruiter offers you the job in the NG that you want. Don't sign up for artillary or bomb squad if you don't want that kind of work. There is everything from mechanics to military police to administration.

Make this work for you. The benefits are outstanding, but of course you are offering yourself up for the next X years - body, soul, and weekends. And, yes, you could be called up to deploy. But not everyone goes to a war zone. You could be in Germany or Japan for 18 months.

Do you have family? This is hard on them, too.

maporsche

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 08:14 am
@PUNKEY,
I am recently married (but we've been together for 11 years), who is supportive of this decision (pretty much). No kids, and this decision will likely put off having children for several years.
0 Replies