Fave Actor, Book & Musician?

Chumly

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 01:53 pm
Admittedly tough (if not downright impossible) but if you had to choose?

For me it would be:
Jack Lemmon
I Robot by Isaac Asimov
Carlos Santana
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,989 • Replies: 9
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 01:57 pm
Henry Fonda
Grapes of Wrath
The Oxbow Incident
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 02:32 pm
My favorite book must be the first adult book I read when I was eight years old. It caused me have to a life-long love of books, which I owe it to Pearl Buck.

The Good Earth is a novel by Pearl S. Buck published in 1931 and awarded the Pulitzer Prize for the Novel in 1943 and the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1944. It is the first book in a trilogy that includes Sons (1943) and A House Divided (1945). The novel of family life in a Chinese village became a best-seller upon publication and has been a steady favorite ever since. In 2004, the book was returned to the best seller list when chosen by the television host Oprah Winfrey for Oprah's Book Club. The novel described Chinese village culture in detail and helped prepare Americans of the 1930s to consider Chinese as allies in the coming war with Japan. The 1937 film, The Good Earth, was based on this novel.

My favorite film is The Old Man and the Sea, staring Spencer Tracy. It demonstrated the human determination to never give up, which I honor.

The Old Man and the Sea (1958)

An old Cuban fisherman goes out to get fish, something he has not done well at for the last three months. He catches a huge one which is devoured by sharks before he can land it.

Based on the classic, Pulitzer Prize winning novel of the same name by Ernest Hemingway. The story of an aging, life-long fisherman attempting to find himself, and hopefully a fish, on a fishing trip in the gulf waters off Cuba. After spending most of his life alone, and losing his only companion, a young Cuban boy, the old man heads out to sea once again, the laughing-stock of all other fisherman. His 80+ days without a notable catch end on this trip, but will he be able to defeat the odds after catching a gigantic marlin?

My favorite musician

I struggled to learn to play Claude Debussy's Clair de Lune when I was thirteen years old. It was the most beautiful music I had experienced. It reminded me so much of the Impressionist painting of his age. At age 81, I can still play the first minute or two of it even though I haven't had a piano for sixty five years.

Claude Debussy (1862–1918), 20th century composer, his music is often described as impressionist, although he dismissed the term. He wrote "Clair de Lune" from Suite bergamasque.

BBB
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 05:44 pm
James Earl Jones

The Creative Mind - Henri Bergson

Mississippi John Hurt
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 05:59 pm
Malcolm McDowell (A Clockwork Orange, If, O Lucky Man, Britannia Hospital)
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
Ray Davies or Robert Pollard
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 07:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Henry Fonda
Grapes of Wrath
The Oxbow Incident

I misread the question. I put actor, book, movie.

musician would be either Leonard Cohen or Bob Dylan, can't decide.
Sglass

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 09:03 pm
I'll go with actress:
Meryl Streep

Book:
Lord of the Flies by Golden

Musician:
Herbie Hancock
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
...musician would be either Leonard Cohen or Bob Dylan, can't decide.
Bob Cohen solves your dilemma!
0 Replies

piksbisht

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 10:09 pm
@Chumly,
Favorite Actors are

Mark Wahlberg
John Krasinski
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 11:26 pm
Denzel Washington:
I only say that because he's the creator of an acting moment that has stayed with me and comes back to me whenever I have to answer a 'favorite' actor question. I like too many movies and actors to pick a real favorite - but he provided a moment in a movie I will never forget and I guess that's what actors strive to do.

BBB -The Good Earth by Pearl Buck is one of my favorite books too. I also read it as a school-age child and was just enveloped and touched by the story she told.
I named my dog Pearl after her (and Janis Joplin and because my best friend when I was six had the surname 'Pearl'- all good associations)

Musician? Well, I can't name one person - if I have to choose a band, I'd have to say:
The Band - I'm never not in the mood to hear them.
I like Carlos Santana alot too though - he'd be up there on my list of favorites.
0 Replies