Alice

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 06:33 pm
I finished the first Alice book, I'll be moving on to Through the Looking Glass soon.

I liked the coyrt case, it was funny.

"Give your evidence and don't be nervous or I'll have you executed on teh spot."

I didn't much like the overall book though. Even more so since the ending concluded in a way that underlines the lack of plot.

Sometimes no plot is not a bad thing but this isn't just abstract and absurd it's haphazard and seems disjointed. And not in a fun disjointed way.

I hope the Looking Glass is better.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 06:43 pm
Two points about the plot, or lack there of. This is a dream so there is supposed to be a haphazard quality to it. Secondly there is a plot of sorts. Alice is trying to get to the garden that she saw through the key hole when she was in the hall in the first chapter. She is successful when she final gets invited to the the Queen's croquet party.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 06:45 pm
Yeah, I know there's intentional haphazardness, but what I'm trying to describe is that it's a haphazardness that harmed the fluidity of the book IMO.

I've read other disjointed stories with no plot that read more smoothly.

Not that I can think of 'em at the moment....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 09:17 pm
Is Jabberwocky in Looking Glass or Adventures?

Whatever has Jabberwocky is good.

I think (not sure of this) that Alice was not written for publication, was just a series of stories for Alice Liddell with not that much revision, which certainly fits with the narrative structure (or lack thereof.) What I think is that Through the Looking Glass was written after Alice was already a book, and so was written in a more bookish way, not just the lazy silly stories. So it might be more to your liking.

Will be curious.

Still think the annotations should be trashed, the first time anyway. But it sounds like you doubt there would be a second time, so whatever floats your boat.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 10:05 pm
Alice may not originally been intended for publication but it was revised with publication in mind. "Through the Looking Glass" was definitely written for publication. Carroll (Dodson) was a prolific writer in the fantasy genera and had a number of other books, "Sylvia and Bruno" is one. Plus he produced a number of short stories and poems. An example of the latter is "The Hunting of the Snark". None however were as successful as the Alice series.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 01:59 pm
I started the Looking Glass, I like the idea of the chess-game plot.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 02:27 pm
Thought you might....
0 Replies

jnfr

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 11:32 pm
Quote:
I saw the original manuscript in England, thrilling. One notable thing is that Carroll's illustrations of Alice are like the girl he took photos of and wrote the story for, Alice Liddell? (and yes, that adds another, rather unsavory layer to the whole thing). At any rate, short brown hair, unremarkable clothes. Carroll could not STAND Tenniel's representation of Alice, with her long blonde hair and starchy little pinafore. She's meant to be much less precious.
-Sozobe

I recently read Sylvie and Bruno, which was illustrated not by Teniel, but by Harry Furniss (who did quite a good job, IMO. The introduction to my copy excerpted Furniss' autobiography, and he said Carroll was quite the eccentric (surprise, surprise) when it came to illustrations for his book. He would give Furniss piles and piles of photographs of little girls, telling Furniss to use this girl's eyes and that girl's chin, etc, to illustrate Sylvie. He also gave him the addresses of various girls living in far flung reaches of Great Britain to visit and draw inspiration. Smile In the end, Furniss eschewed Carroll's suggestions and used his own daughter as his model. Furniss (wisely, probably) never told Carroll who Sylvie's model was, although Carroll was quite pleased with the illustrations and went to some lengths to discover who the "real" Sylvie was...little realizing she was right under his nose. Hah! Carroll was also quite adamant that Sylvie not be depicted in crinole or high heels, which were "an abomination" to him. Smile
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:42 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
I started the Looking Glass, I like the idea of the chess-game plot.

try The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett - brilliant series the titles and moves are a chess game - and the game of chess with live pieces played in Pawn in Frankincense (?4th in series) is fantastic

and on a much lighter note has anyone read Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes? The Sozlet would love them - he retells the fairy tales. In Red Riding Hood there is a line that goes ' her eyelid never flickers, she pulls a pistol from her knickers' - no nonsense with this red riding hood - wolfskin cape next illustration....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:51 am
Ooh, sounds great, Vivien! "The Stinky Cheese Man" is one of her favorites, look like the author got the idea from Roald. I think she's about ready for "The BFG", "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", "James and the Giant Peach" et al. She's starting to listen raptly even when there are no pictures on that page. (Have been reading... carefully... from "The Juniper Tree" with tales from Grimm retold/ translated by Randall Jarrel and illustrated (very occasionally, 1 every 20 pages say) by Maurice Sendak. That stuff was rough!)
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 09:13 am
Dalh wrote at least two volumes of an autobiography "Boy" and "Going Solo" which were fascinating. The seem to have been written for young adults by I found them very interesting, particularly Going Solo which described his life in east Africa and the RAF during WWII.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 04:46 am
Vivien wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

and on a much lighter note has anyone read Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes? The Sozlet would love them - he retells the fairy tales. In Red Riding Hood there is a line that goes ' her eyelid never flickers, she pulls a pistol from her knickers' - no nonsense with this red riding hood - wolfskin cape next illustration....

link to site with the poems on

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roald Dahl
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Little Red Riding Hood

As soon as Wolf began to feel
That he would like a decent meal,
He went and knocked on Grandma's door.
When Grandma opened it, she saw
The sharp white teeth, the horrid grin,
And Wolfie said, 'May I come in?'
Poor Grandmamma was terrified,
'He's going to eat me up!' she cried.
And she was absolutely right.
He ate her up in one big bite.
But Grandmamma was small and tough,
And Wolfie wailed, 'That's not enough!
'I haven't yet begun to feel
'That I have had a decent meal!'
He ran around the kitchen yelping,
'I've got to have another helping!'
Then added with a frightful leer,
'I'm therefore going to wait right here
'Till Little Miss Red Riding Hood
'Comes home from walking in the wood.'
He quickly put on Grandma's clothes,
(Of course he hadn't eaten those.)
He dressed himself in coat and hat.
He put on shoes and after that
He even brushed and curled his hair,
Then sat himself in Grandma's chair.
In came the little girl in red.
She stopped. She stared. And then she said,

'What great big ears you have, Grandma.'
'All the better to hear you with,' the Wolf replied.
'What great big eyes you have, Grandma,'
said Little Red Riding Hood.
'All the better to see you with,' the Wolf replied.

He sat there watching her and smiled.
He thought, I'm going to eat this child.
Compared with her old Grandmamma
She's going to taste like caviare.

Then Little Red Riding Hood said,
'But Grandma, what a lovely
great big furry coat you have on.'

'That's wrong!' cried Wolf. 'Have you forgot
'To tell me what BIG TEETH I've got?
'Ah well, no matter what you say,
'I'm going to eat you anyway.'
The small girl smiles. One eyelid flickers.
She whips a pistol from her knickers.
She aims it at the creature's head
And bang, bang, bang, she shoots him dead.
A few weeks later, in the wood,
I came across Miss Riding Hood.
But what a change! No cloak of red,
No silly hood upon her head.
She said, 'Hello, and do please note
'My lovely furry WOLF-SKINCOAT.'
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2004 09:15 pm
So did I. Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 01:03 pm
Sam The Sham And The Pharaohs

LI'L RED RIDING HOOD (Ronald Blackwell)

Owoooooooo!
Who's that I see walkin' in these woods?
Why, it's Little Red Riding Hood.

Hey there Little Red Riding Hood,
You sure are looking good.
You're everything a big bad wolf could want.

Listen to me.
Little Red Riding Hood
I don't think little big girls should
Go walking in these spooky old woods alone.
Owoooooooo!

What big eyes you have,
The kind of eyes that drive wolves mad.
So just to see that you don't get chased
I think I ought to walk with you for a ways.

What full lips you have.
They're sure to lure someone bad.
So until you get to grandma's place
I think you ought to walk with me and be safe.

I'm gonna keep my sheep suit on
Until I'm sure that you've been shown
That I can be trusted walking with you alone.
Owoooooooo!

Little Red Riding Hood
I'd like to hold you if I could
But you might think I'm a big bad wolf so I won't.
Owoooooooo!

What a big heart I have-the better to love you with.
Little Red Riding Hood
Even bad wolves can be good.
I'll try to be satisfied just to walk close by your side.
Maybe you'll see things my way before we get to grandma's place.

Little Red Riding Hood
You sure are looking good
You're everything that a big bad wolf could want.
Owoooooooo!

I mean baaaaaa!

Baaa?

http://www.robert-kruse.com/samudio/pages/lyric-lilred.html
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:52 am
Laughing that takes me back through the years
0 Replies