The winner takes all for the right to reproduce.

roger

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 03:43 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent wrote:

True! But what is the empirical evidence for it? The common consensus is that one successful man, and many wifes are common. This does not say anything about sex partners, and swing. There is very little evidence that most people swing, and those that do, it is always the husband that do.

You really meant to write that, didn't you?
ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 03:48 pm
@roger,
LOL,

In an undergraduate class we were given a study that showed that the average heterosexual man reports having 9 sexual partners through their thirties (I don't remember the exact numbers) whereas the average woman reports having a lower number (let's say 3) sexual partners.

The professor wouldn't address the mathematical impossibility that these figures where correct even when I asked him to.

I suspect reporting error.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 04:00 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
The book is focused on pre-historic society. As someone mentioned earlier, our current social constructs are strongly influenced by money. In a hunter, gatherer society, different rules would apply. If children were really raised communally and there were no questions about inheritance (or even understanding of the mechanism through which conception occurs), there would be no need for monogamous relationships.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 07:48 pm
@ebrown p,
Not sure this is true. I think human females still go for human males with sixpack abs and big big bicepses, even though they're no use in modern times.
talk72000

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 08:11 pm
@Thomas,
There is the pleasure principle at work. Abs means ability for sustained rhythmic poking and big biceps means no interruptions during poking sessions. Really simple! Laughing Twisted Evil Mr. Green 2 Cents
0 Replies