• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 836 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Bretthoffy

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 09:49 am
@lambysmith,
Of course Atheists have no future but of course neither do you nor anybody else have.God is a conceptual exercise of our Id,our EGO the fear of dying the repudiation of the fact that we die can can no longer be a part of the scene man. Get on with living and forget gods and demons Smell the roses whilst you can. May you find peace.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 10:43 am
@Bretthoffy,
Ugghh...

The same person keeps posting the same thing under different account names.

I wish I could ban IP address'.
Bretthoffy

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 11:54 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;71319 wrote:
Ugghh...

The same person keeps posting the same thing under different account names.

I wish I could ban IP address'.

Spoilt ya Party Fatal? Sorry Mate. Its just ya talk a load of pretentious Waffle.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2010 03:28 pm
@Bretthoffy,
Brett.hoffy;71322 wrote:
Spoilt ya Party Fatal? Sorry Mate. Its just ya talk a load of pretentious Waffle.

What are you talking about?
Bretthoffy

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 11:06 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;71323 wrote:
What are you talking about?

My apologies Fatal. I think i miss understood you. I just think that believing in gods is silly and atheism is as sillyas believing in gods.The point im trying to make is non of us know the mystery of it all so why not go with the flow and see what happens. If God exists Terrific we all get to see our families again if it doesnt exist then your just dead. If there is an after life the laws of physics would say there is before life, so what were you doing before you were born and is it better or worse?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 03:43 pm
@Bretthoffy,
Brett.hoffy;71340 wrote:
My apologies Fatal. I think i miss understood you. I just think that believing in gods is silly and atheism is as sillyas believing in gods.

Wouldn't be the first time somebody said this to me. I'm not saying god(s) don't exist with any certainty, I'm just saying I don't believe in god(s). I am an atheism, in that I don't believe in god, but I am an agnostic in that, I don't think anyone can truly know.

But the burden of proof lies on the believers to show that god does exist.

Quote:
The point im trying to make is non of us know the mystery of it all so why not go with the flow and see what happens.

Why not? Because the "flow" is not always right. If everyone always went with the flow no progress would ever be made. Terrible things have been done because that's what everybody else did.

We must understand the reasons for which we do things. The mind is a beautify thing and to poison it with willful ignorance is a terrible thing to do.

Quote:
If God exists Terrific we all get to see our families again if it doesnt exist then your just dead. If there is an after life the laws of physics would say there is before life, so what were you doing before you were born and is it better or worse?

Pascal's wager.

Of course, If spend your days praying, tithing, going to church/temple, obsessing over what god thinks or wants....and there is no god, all of this was done for NOTHING.

Why follow arbitrary religious laws if there is no god? What if these arbitrary religious laws are harmful to society?

Why should we spend our entire life living in fear of divine punishment, if there is none?
0 Replies

theophilus cv

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 09:52 am
@Bretthoffy,
Brett.hoffy;71340 wrote:
If God exists Terrific we all get to see our families again if it doesnt exist then your just dead.

Have you ever considered the possibility that if God exists you will be judged for the way you have lived?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 12:51 pm
@theophilus cv,
theophilus;71373 wrote:
Have you ever considered the possibility that if God exists you will be judged for the way you have lived?

Depending on what brand of theology you follow.

Contemporary christian theology, says that those who believe will have everlasting paradise, both good and bad.

Many religions teach that only good people will have paradise.

And some religions teach that everybody will go to the same place, regardless of how good or bad a person you were.

This is precisely why Pascal's wager is a fool's bet.

It is pointless to worry about the next life, because we do not know what awaits us in the next life, or if there even is a "next life" at all.
theophilus cv

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 03:26 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;71377 wrote:
Depending on what brand of theology you follow.

It doesn't depend on what theology you follow but on what God is like.

Quote:
It is pointless to worry about the next life, because we do not know what awaits us in the next life, or if there even is a "next life" at all.

But if you study the Bible you can know something about the next life and can prepare for it. If you wait until you die to find out it will be too late for you to use that knowledge.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 04:19 pm
@theophilus cv,
theophilus;71385 wrote:
It doesn't depend on what theology you follow but on what God is like.

No one knows what god is like. There are many people who claim they know, but these are just claims.

Quote:
But if you study the Bible you can know something about the next life and can prepare for it. If you wait until you die to find out it will be too late for you to use that knowledge.

The bible is the work of men, as are all holy books. You cannot know god through works of men, because men can and will err.

All major organized religions rely on divine revelation, but this is inherently flawed. Revelation is only proof to those who hear it directly, once it is spread by written or spoken word to others it is hearsay. It is unwise to trust what others say of god.

The only things that can truly be known of god (if there even is a god) is through what can be rationally deduced from logic and reason and not from esoteric sources.

That different religions will all use 'divine revelation' to support their claims yet come to completely different conclusions to me suggests that divine revelation is a very unreliable source.
0 Replies