Why monotheism is wrong.

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 02:31 pm
An argument from Scripture.

Many make the claim that there is but 1 true god and no others but the myths of Judaism, Christianity and other Abrahamic religions, found in Scripture, would indicate otherwise.

The 1st example is in the creation of humanity itself. It is written in Genesis 1:26...
Quote:
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over the cattle and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth."

Not once but thrice the Abrahamic god, Yahweh speaks plurally. Why? If Yahweh is alone, why speak plurally or for that matter speak at all? Some claim that it's a reference to the Trinity but if this was so, Yahweh would still be speaking to himself and thus should be speaking singularly or in the 3rd person, not plurally. Others claim it's a reference to the angles but if this was the case, why does Yahweh say 'our'? If you were planing a statute and said to a pack of dogs, "Let us create this statute in our image.", you'd be speaking nonsense. If you were to make it in the image of a human, the dogs would be left out, if you were to make it in the image of a dog, you'd be left out and if you were to make it a hybrid (hello, Inpu), it would be in nether your image or that of the dogs as nether you or the dogs are hybrids. To make a statute in your groups image, you'd all need to ether be humans or dogs, thus the idea that Yahweh, a god, was speaking to angles makes no sense. Only when you consider that Yahweh was speaking to other deities does the above passage make any logical sense.

The next 2 passages seem to indicate that humanity itself is divine, if not just short of divinity. The 2nd passage also refers to 'Others' as I call them.

Genesis 1:27...
Quote:
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

Genesis 3:2...
Quote:
Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat and live forever"

Aside from yet another case of plurality, why would a signaler god, possessing of all power and needing not share it, create a race of demi-gods/goddesses and risk losing some of that power and being forced to share what remained?

In Genesis 4:25, Abel is replaced by yet another son Seth. This name is noteworthy for it is the name of a powerful Egyptian god. Perhaps a coincidence but considering Judaism's relationship and history with Egypt, perhaps not.

Genesis 4:25...
Quote:
And Adam knew his wife again and she bore a son and called his name Seth, for she said, "God has appointed for me another child instead of Abel, for Cain slew him."

Is this a reference to the god, Seth? According to Egyptian mythology, Seth killed his brother. Considering the shared name and the fact that Seth's brother, Cane killed Abel, it's not a great leap to make the connection.

Now this is an interesting piece, Yahweh raising a human up to godhood.

Exodus 7:1...
Quote:
And the LORD said to Moses, "See, I make you as God to Pharaoh; and Aaron your brother shall be your prophet.

Now if you were to doubt the existence of the Others before, you can't do so after Yahweh blatantly creates a new god.

Now comes the fun part. The 1st Commandment, the linchpin of the monotheistic argument, defeated by itself.

Exodus 20:3-6...
Quote:
"You shall have no other gods before me. "You shall not make for yourself a graven image or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above or that is in the earth beneath or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

That's it, Yahweh is jealous. Aside from making him a sinful god, jealousy implies something to be envied. As worship is what's envied, the 1st Commandment basically says, "I'm not the only deity around but I'm greedy. So if you don't ignore the other deities and worship me only, I'll hurt you."

Well I'll leave you all to it. If this sparks a heated debate, I'll post more.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,643 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 02:40 pm
@David cv,
My argument against monotheism goes as follows:

"there is no evidence it's true"

works every time:thumbup:
Seer Travis Truman

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 07:32 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;67788 wrote:
My argument against monotheism goes as follows:

"there is no evidence it's true"

works every time:thumbup:

Well, it even though you are right, it doesn't really "work" because god-addicts are usually so addicted to thier lies that they do not care about reason, facts, evidence etc. Carico comes to mind.
0 Replies

synthy

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 11:16 pm
@David cv,
Monotheism does not exist since it is based on Dualism as a fundamental buildingblock of its own proof so it becomes a paradox.

One can also quote silly phrases like You are my children I am your father he is my son etc
So according to this all humans are on equal terms with this deity and family members,by inheritance gods themselfes,where is monotheism then with billions of gods.At least the greek myths made the gods human like.
Selfworship is of now justified.
So fellow gods who is holier than thou?
0 Replies

SWORD of GOD

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 08:18 am
@David cv,
David;67786 wrote:
An argument from Scripture.

Many make the claim that there is but 1 true god and no others but the myths of Judaism, Christianity and other Abrahamic religions, found in Scripture, would indicate otherwise.

The 1st example is in the creation of humanity itself. It is written in Genesis 1:26...

Not once but thrice the Abrahamic god, Yahweh speaks plurally. Why? If

Your argument is false. You need first to do simple research before posting such wrong understanding.

You better learn about [SIZE="3"]the 'Royal' or 'Majestic' 'WE'.[/SIZE]

Here are some informative references regarding the usage of 'We' in the Holy scriptures:
(1) - http://www.victoryscent.co.uk/we_usage_in_quran.htm
(2) - Regarding the usage of 'We' in the Holy Qur'an - www.TurnToIslam.com
(3) - Majestic plural - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
0 Replies