Theological matter

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 02:38 pm
Beyond Belief: Science, Reason, Religion & Survival > Session 4

Fast-forward to ~45:00

I forward his question, which I paraphrase here:

A patient had the connection severed between the hemispheres of the brain. Each hemisphere operated (m,ore or less) independently of the other, ans they were able to communicate w/ each as a separate 'person'. One was an atheist, and the other declared belief in god. Assuming for the sake of this discussion that your religion is correct, what happens when this person dies? Is each hemisphere now a separate entity, one of which will enter New Earth and New Jerusalem while the other is sentenced to the Outer Darkness, Gehenna, or some other punishment?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 719 • Replies: 4
No top replies

marcus cv

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 04:02 pm
@JBeukema,
I don't really think it is a theological matter, it is rather neurological question.

Theology is study of God, and we know that God is relational, and soul will be even after life of a body is over.
JBeukema

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 06:11 pm
@marcus cv,
marcus;67305 wrote:

Theology is study of God

The theologist claims to study that which he claims is unknowable...

Quote:

and we know that God is relational,

Clearly, you've never read his book...

Quote:
and soul will be even after life of a body is over.

Soul?

It seems you've failed to address the OP at all
xexon

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 11:08 pm
@JBeukema,
You are not your mind.

It is the user interface you have into this world. Whatever problems it may have does not affect the soul itself. I use the term soul because you have couched the question in religious mythology already.

All your beliefs are stored in the mind. Including the ego, which is how you see yourself here.

At death, all that goes out the window. It belonged to what your were here, not what you are in reality.

x
JBeukema

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 04:47 am
@xexon,
xexon;67311 wrote:
You are not your mind.

It is the user interface you have into this world.

Aaah, the old Ghost in the Machine:peace:
Quote:

Whatever problems it may have does not affect the soul itself.

What soul? Does the soul get split in two? Does a new soul get created to, one for each 'person'?
0 Replies