The Nag Hammadi

xexon

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 11:43 pm
Most are familar with the Nag Hammadi library.
Nag Hammadi Library

These books look like the belong in the bible but somebody removed them. It's suspected the early church did so because the contents were more advanced than what they thought the common people could understand. It also cements control over the population by the church. Now you NEED priests to interpret scriptures, and therefore you NEED the church, not Jesus.

The Gospel of Thomas claims to be a collection of sayings by Jesus himself. It undermines the church authority by doing away with priests and temples. Jesus realized you don't need a middleman to access the divine.

Those who understand the deeper meaning of it will see similar points in other belief systems like Hinduism. This is where Jesus sounds more like a yogi than a rabbi.

Gospel of Thomas (Lambdin Translation) -- The Nag Hammadi Library

x
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 781 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Grouch

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 03:25 am
@xexon,
Not that the Nag Hammadi Library isn't every important to the understanding of early Christianity. But there are problems with your prepositions. Most of the extra biblical books found there were never ever "part of the bible". We pretty much know exactly how the bible was formed and those books were never up for contention to be part of it. It is not as though they were ripped from the pages of a completed book, they were never part of it.

The Gospel of Thomas is very interesting on its own, and is pretty hotly debated as to when it was written. And some think that it either could be or is proof of text similar to the Q document.

I don't really think that the Gospel of Thomas really "undermines the church authority by doing away with priests and temples. Jesus realized you don't need a middleman to access the divine." In anymore way then the other 4 Gospels. That's more a product of the Pauline Epistles.
xexon

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 10:31 am
@Grouch,
It takes a certain level of spiritual maturity to understands the message.

It's been my experience that most people are just not ready for it.

That's the way it's always been. One picks the apples as they ripen, not uproot the whole tree to take them all at once as Christianity suggests.

People enter the kingdom one at a time. As they're ready.

x
Grouch

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:55 pm
@xexon,
xexon;65025 wrote:
It takes a certain level of spiritual maturity to understands the message.

It's been my experience that most people are just not ready for it.

That's the way it's always been. One picks the apples as they ripen, not uproot the whole tree to take them all at once as Christianity suggests.

People enter the kingdom one at a time. As they're ready.

x

All you did was provide a vague and elusive statements in regards to my corrections to your original post.

The Gospel of Thomas is just a collection of saying said to have been made by Jesus. They do not contain any meaning higher than any other Gospel.

If you wish to contend that they do, please enlighten us on them.
xexon

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 11:03 pm
@Grouch,
I have a yogic background. What I see here is not unlike what I've seen in various teachings found in India. To me, Jesus was a yogi, not a rabbi. The Gospel of Thomas is a concise collection of what Jesus said as opposed to all the religious fluff in the modern bible. It's like Jesus lite. And it has a distinct mystical flavor to it that is common to people who have had authentic mystical experiences. In other words, Jesus wasn't a product of his religious upbringing. His experiences came from outside that.

His message is the same as mine. To be autonomous as a soul rather than use a middleman like the church.

If you can do this for yourself, what need is there of the church?

The answer is you don't need the church and never have. It's your birthright to access the divine. Religion becomes a moot point after that realization.

You and I see this library far differently than the average person because we take the time to look at things. But we still see it differently based upon our personal backgrounds.

"Whoever finds the interpretation of these sayings will not experience death."

Years ago, that wouldn't have made much sense to me. But as my own path unfolded, my ability to find that interpretation has also unfolded.

x
0 Replies