Hiya from Steel City, PA

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 11:36 am
Hiya All,

I'm a dual major in physics and philosophy at the University of Pittsburgh. My work thus far has been primarily concentrated in phil. of mind and science, with a little Nietzsche on the side. I'll put this out in front from the get go: I am a Classic Liberal in the spirit of Bastiat, Hamilton, and de Tocqueville. My economics are strongly rooted in Austrian-Capital Theory (von Mises and Hayek), and I am a rather informed Contractarian politically.

Physics wise, I'm working through a rather general, though rigorous, curriculum. I am fond of Richard Feynman, and his "Feynman Lectures on Physics" has been my constant companion for quite a while now. In the same spirit, I am currently learning what I consider to be the most critical (indirectly) advance in physics in a long time: Sellars' Antifoundationalism (The Critique of the Given, in EPM).

Religiously, I am well read in Christian theology and have totally rejected it. The acceptance of any type of god, Christian or otherwise, bears with it a high price: physics (and the rest of nat. sci. follows).

That is the basic framework of my views in a nutshell, just so everyone knows where I'm coming from. I am here primarily because my professors simply do not have enough time to entertain my limitless curiosity, and I've found my peers to be dull conversationally.

On a lighter note, I both drink and smoke too much (well, maybe...) and love doing both. I endure an enjoyable but mindless social life, and as much road-tripping as possible.

Argue well!

Patrick
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 861 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Sabz5150

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 08:51 pm
@physicistphilosopher,
Oh snap, I think I've been trumped Smile

Glad to see some other pure science mind on here. I think we'll get along just fine :peace:
marcus cv

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 06:52 am
@Sabz5150,
Welcome on board Patric,

I don't know why, but your note reminded me Einstein Smile , except of course he believed in God.
Sabz5150

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 10:07 am
@marcus cv,
marcus;62824 wrote:
Welcome on board Patric,

I don't know why, but your note reminded me Einstein Smile , except of course he believed in God.

Einstein was spiritual, not religious. He believed in a higher power, not a religion specific deity.
physicistphilosopher

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 11:50 am
@Sabz5150,
For what it is worth, it isn't that I don't believe in god or spirits and whatnot. It is that I simply can't find a compelling reason to address the question at all.

At any rate, thanks for the welcome guys (or gals?)!
Sabz5150

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 09:03 pm
@physicistphilosopher,
physicistphilosopher;62830 wrote:
For what it is worth, it isn't that I don't believe in god or spirits and whatnot. It is that I simply can't find a compelling reason to address the question at all.

At any rate, thanks for the welcome guys (or gals?)!

The supernatural is always something that can be pondered upon. However, without any solid, credible evidence of such a thing, that's all it will ever be.
0 Replies