• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,166 • Replies: 8
No top replies

MagistraY

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:32 am
@ahmetsecer,
I regret to inform you that what the video describes is not "Satanism," but in fact is a sub-set of Judeo-Christianity called either "devil worship" or "heresy."

The video uses Biblical mythology about a literal figure named "Satan." For one to worship such an entity they would have to believe in both the Biblical God and Biblical Devil. Satanists do not believe in either. They are atheists who use the image of Satan as a metaphor for those who will not kneel before any god, and take personal responsibility for their own lives instead of begging (praying) and subjugating themselves before some fairytale. They take pride in their own accomplishments and they blame themselves for their own failings. No supernatural entities enter into it.

While devil worshipers do exist, they are the result of Judeo-Christian beliefs. They have been sold a package straight from the pulpit. They are simply reverse Christians, angry at the god they believe in and rooting for the other guy.

Satanism is a about 42 years old, The Satanic Bible is the basis for the religion and The Church of Satan is the only legitimate, legally recognized Satanic church. The rules are strictly law abiding, forbidding all forms of sacrifice and demanding personal responsibility.

Lastly, non-Satanists would do well to stop spreading lies about Satanism. Their lies are what cause confused, angry young people to do things that no true Satanist would ever do. In effect, the traditional religions reap what they sow: If young people actually read The Satanic Bible which emphasizes complete personal responsibility, study over worship, and no promise of Heaven, kids would be less likely to be fooled and fascinated by the lies of blood rites, orgies, and other myths that glamorize something that doesn't exist!
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 10:06 am
@MagistraY,
the dictionary and encyclopedia disagree with you magistraY.

Satanism: Definition from Answers.com

Just as christians are followers of christ (thus the name) satanists are followers of satan. Linguistically it makes no sense what you're saying. It is antithetical to reason to oppose religion by being religious.
MagistraY

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 09:46 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;59030 wrote:
the dictionary and encyclopedia disagree with you magistraY.

Satanism: Definition from Answers.com

Just as christians are followers of christ (thus the name) satanists are followers of satan. Linguistically it makes no sense what you're saying. It is antithetical to reason to oppose religion by being religious.

And Catholics are cannibals who eat the body and drink the blood of Christ.

And all witches worship the devil (say that at a Wiccan cocktail party and see how it goes.)

And I was raised being told "ain't" isn't a word because it wasn't in the dictionary.

Shall I go on?

Those who cannot comprehend metaphor in terms of religion, or go to the most traditional sources for their information, are bound to be left behind when new ideas and concepts evolve and become the norm.

The IRS, The Army Chaplain's Handbook, and The Encyclopedia of American Religion DO see it my way, and since they and not the dictionary exercise some legal control, I'll settle for them.

Y~
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 12:32 am
@MagistraY,
MagistraY;59039 wrote:
And Catholics are cannibals who eat the body and drink the blood of Christ.

And all witches worship the devil (say that at a Wiccan cocktail party and see how it goes.)

And I was raised being told "ain't" isn't a word because it wasn't in the dictionary.

Shall I go on?

I fail to see your point. Are you trying to say that because people had misconceptions in the past that they have them now? The problem is i'm not talking about 'people' i'm talking about the dictionary.

Quote:

Those who cannot comprehend metaphor in terms of religion, or go to the most traditional sources for their information,

if by traditional sources you mean the dictionary...

Quote:

are bound to be left behind when new ideas and concepts evolve and become the norm.

I see it as people misapplying and misusing the word by calling their beliefs 'satanism' when it does not apply to what satanism actually means. Why would anyone purposely do that? For shock value perhaps. To take something that is evil personified from one religion and then name your system of beliefs after it, can be done for no other reason than for protest.

If i am wrong then give me one legitimate reason to call your beliefs "satanism" if you do not believe in Satan.

Quote:
The IRS, The Army Chaplain's Handbook, and The Encyclopedia of American Religion DO see it my way, and since they and not the dictionary exercise some legal control, I'll settle for them.

you are a fool if you believe law power has any control over definitions. We could pass a law making "Dog" actually mean "cat", but it still would be incorrect.

It's partially your fault that people have misconceptions about satanism for calling it something that it is not.
MagistraY

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 05:41 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;59045 wrote:
I fail to see your point. Are you trying to say that because people had misconceptions in the past that they have them now? The problem is i'm not talking about 'people' i'm talking about the dictionary.

if by traditional sources you mean the dictionary...

I see it as people misapplying and misusing the word by calling their beliefs 'satanism' when it does not apply to what satanism actually means. Why would anyone purposely do that? For shock value perhaps. To take something that is evil personified from one religion and then name your system of beliefs after it, can be done for no other reason than for protest.

If i am wrong then give me one legitimate reason to call your beliefs "satanism" if you do not believe in Satan.

you are a fool if you believe law power has any control over definitions. We could pass a law making "Dog" actually mean "cat", but it still would be incorrect.
It's partially your fault that people have misconceptions about satanism for calling it something that it is not.

A *** is a bunch of sticks. It says so in the dictionary.

Gay is happy.

I could go on. Words change meanings all the time.

Besides, you picked wiki's answers.com and used the English translation of a HEBREW word, not a name, that means, originally : the opposer, the accuser, and the adversary---which is exactly what a Satanist is:

One who opposes the status quo and integrity of "traditional" religions.

You also seem a tad hostile. Blaming me, personally, for misconceptions that have existed since our church was founded and I was three years old.

Your hostility, in fact your reaction, is another reason we like the metaphor--those insecure or frightened by new ideas, or rigidly maintain the ideology of the very religion they claim to above (Christianity) are precisely those we like to keep at arms length. They deny Christianity, deny religion, but then depend on the views established by the Christian majority.

Now about this:"Why would anyone purposely do that? For shock value perhaps. To take something that is evil personified from one religion and then name your system of beliefs after it, can be done for no other reason than for protest.

The first image we have of Satan in the Bible is when he offers wisdom.

Satanists believe in study, not worship. We shock the Judeo-Christian-Islamic herd by embracing the very thing they are taught to fear: Knowledge.

They should be shocked. Anyone who feels a god should punish them for learning deserves to be shocked....at themselves, for voluntarily supporting ignorance.

Shock value is a form of protest. We do not believe in signs and placards, in sit-ins and physical forms of protest. We use shock value to make a protest. As I pointed out--we are the accusers, the opposers, and the adversaries of all religions that deny all that is beautiful and life affirming about humanity: Wisdom, self-pride, sexuality, indulgence, and true justice.

As for evil personified--re-read the Bible. It is genocidal, woman hating, and child-abusing (spare the rod....)

Remember the 7 deadly sins. They all lead to personal satisfaction.

If traditional religions consider these things evil, then WE ARE evil, and proud of it.

We believe in wisdom, in loving one's friends and family above strangers and jealous god-forms.

We believe it is better to reign in Hell (this one life on earth) than bow before some non-existent entity.

So, by their standards, and they are the majority, we are evil and the metaphor is appropriate.

Regardless, our bible, our literature, as well as The FBI's report on Ritual Crime prove that our religion, above all else, is law-abiding. Feel free not to like us, or support us. Feel free to continue being hung up on your lack of metaphorical understanding. Keep feeling superior.

I'd prefer you not play the name-calling game, because it is weak, and then I'd have to say something equally pointless and lame about your lack appropriate punctuation---why should either of us get so personal? By virtue of being here we have agreed to disagree and merely point out our conflicting views.

You've made the point that despite all legal and current proof to the contrary, we must either worship Satan, or be misusing the name Satanist.

If that is all you have to complain about, your job here is done.

Y~

PS:
For those looking beyond wikianswers as the be all and end all of fact please check out:

Church of Satan: The Official Web Site

or my personal blog about current issues of interest to modern Satanists:

Magistra Ygraine's Various Satanic Rants
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:31 am
@MagistraY,
MagistraY;59047 wrote:
A *** is a bunch of sticks. It says so in the dictionary.

Gay is happy.
Quote:
I could go on. Words change meanings all the time.

and they are recorded, like the examples you listed above both of which modern usage is included with the definition.

Quote:
Besides, you picked wiki's answers.com and used the English translation of a HEBREW word, not a name, that means, originally : the opposer, the accuser, and the adversary---which is exactly what a Satanist is:

One who opposes the status quo and integrity of "traditional" religions.

satan

exactly it is [SIZE="4"]THE[/SIZE] opposer, [SIZE="4"]THE[/SIZE] accuser.

notice it does not say "an opposer" it says "the opposer" as if refering to a specific person, in this case the mythical figure Satan.

Quote:
You also seem a tad hostile. Blaming me, personally, for misconceptions that have existed since our church was founded and I was three years old.

no, i'm not only blaming you but anyone who calls themselves a satanist but does not follow satan. You can only expect people to be confused for the misusage of terms.

Quote:

Your hostility, in fact your reaction, is another reason we like the metaphor--those insecure or frightened by new ideas, or rigidly maintain the ideology of the very religion they claim to above (Christianity) are precisely those we like to keep at arms length. They deny Christianity, deny religion, but then depend on the views established by the Christian majority.

Sorry you're barking up the wrong tree, i'm not a christian nor am i religious in any sense of the word. I find religion just as perverse and corrupted as you, which is why i don't understand why you choose to associate yourself with another religion despite this knowledge. although i appreciate your intellectual curiosity but i feel it is going to waste.

Quote:
The first image we have of Satan in the Bible is when he offers wisdom.

Satanists believe in study, not worship. We shock the Judeo-Christian-Islamic herd by embracing the very thing they are taught to fear: Knowledge.

sadly they do not see it that way. they see it as appealing to immoral behavior, but can you blame them for thinking that? For that reason nobody will take you or your plight seriously.

Quote:
They should be shocked. Anyone who feels a god should punish them for learning deserves to be shocked....at themselves, for voluntarily supporting ignorance.

Shock value is a form of protest. We do not believe in signs and placards, in sit-ins and physical forms of protest. We use shock value to make a protest. As I pointed out--we are the accusers, the opposers, and the adversaries of all religions that deny all that is beautiful and life affirming about humanity: Wisdom, self-pride, sexuality, indulgence, and true justice.

This is why i oppose satanism, first of all the shock value works inverse to what you want. It makes them cling tighter to what they believe. Secondly the message of satanism is aimed entirely at christianty and no other relgion (based on the name) and it opposes them and carries no message of it's own..... it is the equivalent of carrying a sign that says "Don't vote for that guy!"

Quote:
As for evil personified--re-read the Bible. It is genocidal, woman hating, and child-abusing (spare the rod....)

As evil as god may seem the bible says satan is much worse.

Quote:

So, by their standards, and they are the majority, we are evil and the metaphor is appropriate.

If you want you message to get across you must be positive.
Quote:

Regardless, our bible, our literature, as well as The FBI's report on Ritual Crime prove that our religion, above all else, is law-abiding. Feel free not to like us, or support us. Feel free to continue being hung up on your lack of metaphorical understanding. Keep feeling superior.

I don't question the law-abidingNESS of satanists, i question your methods.

Quote:
I'd prefer you not play the name-calling game, because it is weak, and then I'd have to say something equally pointless and lame about your lack appropriate punctuation---why should either of us get so personal? By virtue of being here we have agreed to disagree and merely point out our conflicting views.

agreed

Quote:
You've made the point that despite all legal and current proof to the contrary, we must either worship Satan, or be misusing the name Satanist.

If that is all you have to complain about, your job here is done.

Does that mean you agree you are misusing the term.

For the sake of your message i think you would be more effective if you simply referred to your beliefs as ANTI-THEISM. I think that would be a more accurate description.

Quote:
PS:
For those looking beyond wikianswers as the be all and end all of fact please check out:

Church of Satan: The Official Web Site

I don't trust "self-definitions". I'm sure you've been in a situation where a christian defines other christians by how well others follow their own perception of what a "true" christian is, thus why i use un-biased 3rd party definitions (ie. dictionary)
0 Replies

MagistraY

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 10:02 am
@ahmetsecer,
No, I disagree.

I doubt, however, whether we can find common ground here and on this particular issue it is fair to say we've voiced our opinions, and to continue on would be redundant.

Perhaps in another thread there will be more opportunities to discuss other aspects of religious thought.

Y~
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 10:26 am
@MagistraY,
MagistraY;59059 wrote:
No, I disagree.

I doubt, however, whether we can find common ground here and on this particular issue it is fair to say we've voiced our opinions, and to continue on would be redundant.

Perhaps in another thread there will be more opportunities to discuss other aspects of religious thought.

Y~

No but i think we feel the same way about world religions. despite having different overall attitudes and methods.
0 Replies