Violence of Religion?

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:34 pm
I don't make big long posts like this often, so take advantage:

I was thinking to myself, searching my thoughts and trying to figure out something that has been a real problem for me. Is religion dangerous? I was really torn about this issue...i could see both sides, and i could understand why people felt both ways, but i had to figure out for myself which was it....and i came to a conclusion a conclusion that i think some on here may agree with at least to some degree.

I think the REAL problem is Irrationality! Religion in and of itself isn't dangerous but it breeds irrationality, in both it's concept and teachings. Religion asks it's followers to suspend reason to accept it's stories, religion teaches people to obey, religion teaches people to not question. Irationallity in my mind is very much associated with religion. The dangerous behavior of the radicals in the Middle-East arrises from their irrationality, many Americans are just now starting to realize how irrational these people are!

The fact is not all religous people are dangerous not by any strech of the imagination, most religous people aren't dangerous at all. Religous people who hold a great level of rationality aren't the ones causing the problems. No matter how radical the belief is a rational person is not dangerous! But a great percent of irrational people are religous, people who rely soley upon their religion for decision making.

This i believe is as i said before due to the teachings of religions. Both Christains in America and muslims in the middle-east have beliefs based upon the same principals but the Middle-easterners are more dangerous because they are more irrational perhaps becuase of the greater level of education available in the US as compared to the middle-east....

[SIZE="3"]We should be combating irrationality not religion, we fight it with greater education![/SIZE]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,108 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Silverchild79

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:45 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
more people have been killed in the name of god then any other reason. Even the installation of Christianity (a pacifist belief system) over the Roman Empire came in part to victory in battle.

Irrationality has nothing to do with God. God just always seems to get dragged into it...
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:49 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;45405 wrote:
more people have been killed in the name of god then any other reason. Even the installation of Christianity (a pacifist belief system) over the Roman Empire came in part to victory in battle.

Irrationality has nothing to do with God. God just always seems to get dragged into it...

i'm not talking about god, i'm talking about religion and more importantly it's teachings which seem to breed irrationality!
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 08:13 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;45405 wrote:

I have very bad news -- conflict is opportunity. Conflict brings justice. Conflict is life.:patriot::spot::burnout:
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 08:15 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;45407 wrote:
i'm not talking about god, i'm talking about religion and more importantly it's teachings which seem to breed irrationality!

Strangely enough.....I've always thought of you that way.:rollinglaugh::thx::wootSMILEY:
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 08:18 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;45451 wrote:
Strangely enough.....I've always thought of you that way.

...coming from the guy who believes in an invisible man from the sky!

:banana:
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 08:46 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;45453 wrote:
...coming from the guy who believes in an invisible man from the sky!

:banana:

I have a degree from a place in Michigan. I hope you live nowhere near it.:argue::rocketwhore::beerbangX:
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 02:35 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;45468 wrote:
I have a degree from a place in Michigan. I hope you live nowhere near it.:argue::rocketwhore::beerbangX:

so what is your major anyway? it can't be geography or history...based on your past posts!
0 Replies

thomascrosthwaite

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 10:16 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Rape victim's sentence: 200 lashes. This took place in Saudi Arabia, where the "Old Testament" is taken more literally than it is even among conservative Christians. This raises the question, should religions that imply that women are inferior or secondary to men be allowed? Learning,Speech,&Attention Defects | Man with learning disabilities, communication disorders, ADHD, becomes author
0 Replies

adam24

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 05:44 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Just to clear something up, Communism and facism are responsible for the most deaths, not God. That is a statistical fact. All the "religous" wars combined (most of which were not even really religous but cultural) do not account for the death toll of these secular conflicts.

PS. Read Levitacas, it is VERY clear on how God feels about homosexuality. If you can read that, and still think being gay isnt a sin, then you are an idiot. I am not anti-racist to be polite, I just like some black people, so I see no reason to hate the rest, simple as that. As far as gays go, I realize that you guys think you can decide how Christians feel about gays, but most of us dont hate them at all, I certainly do not. Everyone sins, thats the way I see it, they are just trying to force us to acknowledge that their sin is natural and OK, but they are wrong and that is why we fight with them.
adam24

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 05:52 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
The second point to make is that, yes, people who claim to love God do kill, but nowhere near to the extent that the lack of religion does. According to University of Hawaii political scientist Rudolph J. Rummel,[1] <#_ftn1> the total number killed in all of human history is estimated to be about 284,638,000. Of that number, 151,491,000 were killed during the past 100 years. The single largest killer in all of human history is, by far, atheistic Communism with a total of 110,000,000 … over 1/3 of all people ever killed! If we add to that number just two other regimes where religion of any sort was strongly discouraged, Nazi Germany and Nationalist China, the number rises to 141,160,000. Almost 50% of all the killings in human history were committed in the past 100 years by regimes that either actively promoted atheism or strongly discouraged religion. We have not considered the over one billion abortions, where Christianity seems to be particularly unwelcome. When the murders of history are tallied up, it is very clear that atheism is the most dangerous philosophy ever embraced by humanity. The most effective restraint on mankind's inherently evil tendencies is faith in God through Jesus Christ, a faith that actually follows the teachings and commands of Jesus Christ as a daily way of life.

In case you were wondering.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 05:55 pm
@adam24,
adam24;47635 wrote:

Just to clear something up, Communism and facism are responsible for the most deaths, not God. That is a statistical fact.

Of course god isn't responsible for more death than facism. How can he kill people if he doesn't exist?

Quote:

All the "religous" wars combined (most of which were not even really religous but cultural) do not account for the death toll of these secular conflicts.

I'd love to see you back that up! The only way you could know this for sure is to count the total death of all religious wars throughout human history, and that simply isn't feasible!

Quote:

PS. Read Levitacas, it is VERY clear on how God feels about homosexuality. If you can read that, and still think being gay isnt a sin, then you are an idiot.

according to your bible being gay isn't a sin only acting it out is. But that only goes to further his point, about your justifications for hatred!
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 06:03 pm
@adam24,
adam24;47638 wrote:

If you will notice all of those "atheistic" countries were communist, so perhaps communism is the cause not atheism! Atheism doesn't cause someone to kill nor does it motivate someone to kill, as it doesn't have any message or doctrine that commands neither peace nor war. I could just as easily say that people's non-belief in THOR has caused the most death, nearly every murder and war was started by a non-believer of Thor, the number of deaths caused by non-believers of thor would surely be astronomical. Furthermore the communist regimes were as dogmatic as any theocracy Stalin even had a god-like status among his personality cult.

You will find it entirely impossible to prove someone's non-belief caused them to kill!
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 06:06 pm
@adam24,
adam24;47638 wrote:

Nazi germany doesn't count! Hitler himslef was a theist, and although he did discourage the jewish religion he personally endoresed the christian (catholic) religion...
0 Replies

adam24

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:01 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Actually, Hitler himself may have been religous, I dont know and it makes no difference. The nazi army taught that man was the supreme being, specifically their men. Either way, that war was a war against a race of people, they were not fighting to promote a religoin.

Besides, my point was not that atheists have killed the most people, just that religoin has not. And that paragraph in my last post, does put a number on all people killed in war in recorded history.

I dont know why I have to keep repeating this, I DO NOT HATE GAY PEOPLE, just homosexuality itself, and I dont hate that any more than any other sin. If you think you can tell me who I hate and who I don't, then the same must apply to me. So, I have just decided that you hate all black people. I am sure that at some point in your life you have made a negative statment about either a black person or the color black, so according to your logic, you hate all black people.

I know a few gay people, just for the record, and we get along just fine. And yes, they know how I feel about their lifestyle.
thomascrosthwaite

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 10:45 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Adam 24. You wrote "Religious" wars combined [most of these were not religious but cultural] do not account for the death told of Commonism and facism. You have a very distorted view of history. which I am sure you learned from a religious university, which rewrite history, science and psychology to support their religious dogma. I guess that they never told you that the Crusades lasted 184 years [ 1096-1270 ].

Although pirmarily an attempt by Christians to reclaim the Holy Land from the Muslims. These wars were to a lesser extent a war between the Eastern Catholic Church and the Western Catholic Church. It has even been alleged that the bloodiest war in history took place between the Church of Rome and the Church of Constantinople. It is likely that more people were killed in wars during the 20th Century than any other time, but this was because of advancing technology Learning,Speech,&Attention Defects | Man with learning disabilities, communication disorders, ADHD, becomes author
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 03:17 pm
@adam24,
adam24;47685 wrote:
Actually, Hitler himself may have been religous, I dont know and it makes no difference.

actually it made quite a big difference because his campaign was motivated by religion, i'm not saying all religious people are bad just pointing out about what someone said about hitler.

Quote:
The nazi army taught that man was the supreme being, specifically their men. Either way, that war was a war against a race of people, they were not fighting to promote a religoin.

No, the war wasn't against a race of people because judaism is a religion not a race, you'd be correct if you said it was for a specific race of people (aryan), and yes hitler's goal wasn't to promote his religion but rather put down the jewish religion.

Quote:

Besides, my point was not that atheists have killed the most people, just that religoin has not. And that paragraph in my last post, does put a number on all people killed in war in recorded history.

[SIZE="3"]Really!??[/SIZE] then why did you start a whole thread entitled "who killed the most people?"

and it would be quite impossible to calculate ALL people killed in wars of all recorded history...considering there are many many conflicts where the number of dead is unknown!

Quote:

I dont know why I have to keep repeating this, I DO NOT HATE GAY PEOPLE, just homosexuality itself, and I dont hate that any more than any other sin. If you think you can tell me who I hate and who I don't, then the same must apply to me.

Where did i say you hate gay people? I pointed out that simply being gay isn't a sin in and of itself!

Quote:
So, I have just decided that you hate all black people. I am sure that at some point in your life you have made a negative statment about either a black person or the color black, so according to your logic, you hate all black people.

what logic is this?
0 Replies

thomascrosthwaite

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 12:49 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal Freedoms, You stated that it would be quite impossible to calculate ALL people killed in wars in recorded history. Of course, you are right about this. This is an example how religious universities exaggerate and twist things. This is why I think they should not be accredited.

If the lower classes had be treated fairly by capitalistic societies, we would have never had Communism. I am sure that Adam 24's Christian professors ever told him about the secret cemeteries in Cuba that contained the bodies of people who just disapeared before Castro took over . Learning,Speech,&Attention Defects | Man with learning disabilities, communication disorders, ADHD, becomes author
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 12:56 pm
@thomascrosthwaite,
thomascrosthwaite;47966 wrote:
Fatal Freedoms, You stated that it would be quite impossible to calculate ALL people killed in wars in recorded history. Of course, you are right about this. This is an example how religious universities exaggerate and twist things. This is why I think they should not be accredited.

If the lower classes had be treated fairly by capitalistic societies, we would have never had Communism. I am sure that Adam 24's Christian professors ever told him about the secret cemeteries in Cuba that contained the bodies of people who just disapeared before Castro took over . Learning,Speech,&Attention Defects | Man with learning disabilities, communication disorders, ADHD, becomes author

Had Czar Nicholas II not been so oppressive to the russian people communism may have never existed....
0 Replies