The futility of trying to prove god does not exist.

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 09:56 pm
My religious friends constantly challenge me to prove that god does not exist.

Not only can I not do that but it is unfair to ask me to do it.

To make the point, lets suppose I say that Evolution is a fact.

You then say: "I don't think so. Show me."

I reply: "You show me first that Evolution is NOT a fact."

In the above exchange, I am wrong because I am asking you to prove a negative.

The responsibilty to prove belongs to the person making a claim which in this case is me, claiming that Evoution is a fact.

You do not need prove anything. The onus is on me. I need to be able to provide you with enough scientific proof demonstrating that at least the probability of Evolution occuring is a high probability. If I cannot do that, I fail.

Similarly, for someone claiming that there is a god, it is his/her responsibility t prove this claim.

I - as a nonbeliever - do not need to prove the non-existance of god. One cannot prove a negative.

So, the claim on the existence of god/gods need to be proven by those making the claim. Further, the proof should be about as rigorous as we require from evolution.

What do I mean by that?

Well, if I were to say, Evolution is a fact because Darwin says so or his books say so, then you would be correct in rejecting such a proof unless the writings described actual emperical studies and more importantly, subsequent THIRD PARTY emperical data, studies and experiments verifed the fact. If they did not verify the fact, then the theory collapes. If they verifed it with caveats,then the theory requires to be modified.

Simiarly, it is not good enough to say "God exists because the Bible/Koran/Bhagwad Gita/ the Vedas/The Torah says so".

Emperical proof needs to be provided.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,657 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 09:59 pm
@Adam Bing,
I wholeheartedly agree, but many would never be satisfied with such proof. you see, it goes much deeper than "proof", it is a matter of faith for many.
0 Replies

adam24

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 10:32 am
@Adam Bing,
actually I can prove that evolution is not a fact in just one sentence. There is not sufficient evidence to prove that Macro-evolution has ever taken place, therefore it is a theory. Simple as that. It is actually pretty easy to prove a negative, watch. If someone said to me "Prove that flying purple monkey don't exist." I would respond by saying that monkeys do not have the proper bone structure to support themselves with wings, nor do they have the genetic makeup to produce wings, nor has anyone ever in all of history documented seeing a flying purple monkey. That is proof that flying purple monkeys do not exist. On the other hand, it is quite plausible that some unseen force exists outside of our natural environment, someone or something that can manipulate the laws of physics or even break them, if this were true, it would explain all existance. However, even if evolution is true, it doesn't actually explain anything, because it can never explain how energy and matter came to exist in the first place, you can not get something from nothing, it simply is not possible without a supernatural force.
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 10:46 am
@adam24,
adam24;47428 wrote:
On the other hand, it is quite plausible that some unseen force exists outside of our natural environment, someone or something that can manipulate the laws of physics or even break them, if this were true, it would explain all existance.

Prove it.
Numpty

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 11:25 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;47433 wrote:
Prove it.

Exactly!! Using Mr Bings idea you have placed the burdon of proof upon yourself adam24.

Go to it.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 11:45 am
@adam24,
adam24;47428 wrote:
actually I can prove that evolution is not a fact in just one sentence. There is not sufficient evidence to prove that Macro-evolution has ever taken place.

DNA Evidence, Vestigal structures, Fossil Dating etc...
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 11:53 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;47442 wrote:
Exactly!! Using Mr Bings idea you have placed the burdon of proof upon yourself adam24.

Go to it.

Bingo.

What I don't understand is how creationists can attempt to explain science using things COMPLETELY out of the realm of science, and then try and call it "Creation Science".

"Creation Science" is an oxymoron.

How is it that in one hand you can have "Well Creationism can be scientifically proven!" while in the other have "an unseen force exists outside of our natural environment, someone or something that can manipulate the laws of physics or even break them". I don't get it. It's talking out of both sides of your mouth! "Oh it's scientific!!! But it doesn't have to be if it doesn't want to! All we have to do is say GOD broke the laws of physics BECAUSE HE CAN... but it's unseen and incomprehensible, so you can't disprove it!"

I laugh at every creationist post made. Especially the fire breathing dinos!
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 07:25 pm
@Sabz5150,
Science:
n.

The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.
Such activities restricted to a class of natural phenomena.

>by this definition, creationism can't be science!
0 Replies

adam24

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:43 pm
@Adam Bing,
So if something NATURAL is explained by some supernatural, then thats not science? Lets pretend for a moment that everyone knew as an absolute fact that God created the universe. Are you telling me that God would not be considered science? He would be the one that created all natural things, mantains all natural things, and explains all natural things, but he would not be science?
No one has ever seen Macro-evolution, not once, ever, in all of recorded history, so that cant be science either. It is an unseen force, that manipulates all life, and can never be tested in a lab, but it is science? Sounds like a double standard to me. Anything that exists, falls under the definition of science. The only reason you dont think God is science, is because you dont believe he is real. Well, I dont believe evolution is real, so its not science, I have never seen a living dinosaur...not science, I dont believe in the big bang...not science, I have never seen another galaxy...not science. What about black holes? No one knows for sure that they really exist, so how are they science. Obviously, all those things I named are science, but the fact that I have never seen one does not change that fact. Same goes for creation, just because you did not see it, dosent mean it didnt happen.
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:07 pm
@adam24,
adam24;47697 wrote:
So if something NATURAL is explained by some supernatural, then thats not science? Lets pretend for a moment that everyone knew as an absolute fact that God created the universe. Are you telling me that God would not be considered science? He would be the one that created all natural things, mantains all natural things, and explains all natural things, but he would not be science?

YAY! Another chance to bust you in the chops!!!

Answering your first question: No. Absolutely not. Science does not allow for the supernatural. End of discussion.

Now, why would one have to PRETEND that God is an absolute fact? Oh, because that's the only way your beliefs work!

Quote:
No one has ever seen Macro-evolution, not once, ever, in all of recorded history, so that cant be science either.

Incorrect.

Science has seen evolution. I can already tell you believe none of it. But as you are quick to point out, simply not believing in something doesn't make it go away.

Quote:
It is an unseen force, that manipulates all life, and can never be tested in a lab, but it is science? Sounds like a double standard to me. Anything that exists, falls under the definition of science.

It is a PROCESS that has been genetically and empirically shown. Your top guys in Dover got their asses handed to them with ol Chromosome 2 asking that same question. Look THAT one up.

Quote:
The only reason you dont think God is science, is because you dont believe he is real.

No, God is not science because there is not ONE testable experiment, no EMPIRICAL (taking from Devil's playbook) evidence, not one way to even show that such a being existed in the first place.

Would you care to use science to point out God? Be my guest, please.

Quote:
Well, I dont believe evolution is real, so its not science

We have evidence and testable theories. Yes, things we can predict using evolution.

Quote:
I have never seen a living dinosaur...not science

Are you saying that dinosaurs didn't exist? You aren't that ill educated, are you?

Quote:
I dont believe in the big bang...not science

We have testable theories for this as well. See, that's what science is all about. TESTABLE THEORIES. You cannot test creationism. Therefore creationism is not science.

Quote:
I have never seen another galaxy...not science.

http://www.fas.org/irp/imint/docs/rst/Sect20/galaxyM64.jpg

Thereya go. If you are so backwards as to have not seen another galaxy, there really is no helping you.

Quote:
What about black holes? No one knows for sure that they really exist, so how are they science.

SPACE.com -- Missing Black Holes Found

You really don't know your science, do you?

Quote:
Obviously, all those things I named are science, but the fact that I have never seen one does not change that fact. Same goes for creation, just because you did not see it, dosent mean it didnt happen.

It also does not mean it DID happen, either. I hate to tell you, but things do not default to God as the answer.

The default answer is "We do not know."

If you can bring forth scientific evidence of your belief, then it will be viewed as science. If not... well, don't let the door hit you on the way out!
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 04:21 pm
@adam24,
adam24;47697 wrote:
So if something NATURAL is explained by some supernatural, then thats not science?

correct!

Quote:

Obviously, all those things I named are science, but the fact that I have never seen one does not change that fact. Same goes for creation, just because you did not see it, dosent mean it didnt happen.

Science is not dependant on what people believe. Please read the definition of science i gave you!
0 Replies

Campbell34

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 01:57 pm
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;43744 wrote:
My religious friends constantly challenge me to prove that god does not exist.

Not only can I not do that but it is unfair to ask me to do it.

To make the point, lets suppose I say that Evolution is a fact.

You then say: "I don't think so. Show me."

I reply: "You show me first that Evolution is NOT a fact."

In the above exchange, I am wrong because I am asking you to prove a negative.

The responsibilty to prove belongs to the person making a claim which in this case is me, claiming that Evoution is a fact.

You do not need prove anything. The onus is on me. I need to be able to provide you with enough scientific proof demonstrating that at least the probability of Evolution occuring is a high probability. If I cannot do that, I fail.

Similarly, for someone claiming that there is a god, it is his/her responsibility t prove this claim.

I - as a nonbeliever - do not need to prove the non-existance of god. One cannot prove a negative.

So, the claim on the existence of god/gods need to be proven by those making the claim. Further, the proof should be about as rigorous as we require from evolution.

What do I mean by that?

Well, if I were to say, Evolution is a fact because Darwin says so or his books say so, then you would be correct in rejecting such a proof unless the writings described actual emperical studies and more importantly, subsequent THIRD PARTY emperical data, studies and experiments verifed the fact. If they did not verify the fact, then the theory collapes. If they verifed it with caveats,then the theory requires to be modified.

Simiarly, it is not good enough to say "God exists because the Bible/Koran/Bhagwad Gita/ the Vedas/The Torah says so".

Emperical proof needs to be provided.

The prophecies are the evidence that most ignore. That is where you will find the evidence. A Book alone without a claim will not prove anything. Yet a Book that fortells the future, well, that's something else again.
Sabz5150

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 02:02 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;48726 wrote:
The prophecies are the evidence that most ignore. That is where you will find the evidence. A Book alone without a claim will not prove anything. Yet a Book that fortells the future, well, that's something else again.

Prove the God that makes these prophecies happen. Also, your book has failed in many prophecies which have not been fulfilled. What of these?
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 02:04 pm
@Adam Bing,
A simple bit of copy-paste just to spice up the pot.

1. There are several mundane ways in which a prediction of the future can be fulfilled:
1. Retrodiction. The "prophecy" can be written or modified after the events fulfilling it have already occurred.
2. Vagueness. The prophecy can be worded in such a way that people can interpret any outcome as a fulfillment. Nostradomus's prophecies are all of this type. Vagueness works particularly well when people are religiously motivated to believe the prophecies.
3. Inevitability. The prophecy can predict something that is almost sure to happen, such as the collapse of a city. Since nothing lasts forever, the city is sure to fall someday. If it has not, it can be said that according to prophecy, it will.
4. Denial. One can claim that the fulfilling events occurred even if they have not. Or, more commonly, one can forget that the prophecy was ever made.
5. Self-fulfillment. A person can act deliberately to satisfy a known prophecy.

There are no prophecies in the Bible that cannot easily fit into one or more of those categories.

2. In biblical times, prophecies were not simply predictions. They were warnings of what could or would happen if things did not change. They were meant to influence people's behavior. If the people heeded the prophecy, the events would not come to pass; Jonah 3 gives an example. A fulfilled prophecy was a failed prophecy, because it meant people did not heed the warning.

3. The Bible also contains failed prophecies, in the sense that things God said would happen did not (Skeptic's Annotated Bible n.d.). For example:
* Joshua said that God would, without fail, drive out the Jebusites and Canaanites, among others (Josh. 3:9-10). But those tribes were not driven out (Josh. 15:63, 17:12-13).
* Ezekiel said Egypt would be made an uninhabited wasteland for forty years (29:10-14), and Nebuchadrezzar would plunder it (29:19-20). Neither happened.

4. Other religions claim many fulfilled prophecies, too (Prophecy Fulfilled n.d.).

5. Divinity is not shown by miracles. The Bible itself says true prophecies may come elsewhere than from God (Deut. 13:1-3), as may other miracles (Exod. 7:22, Matt. 4:8). Some people say that to focus on proofs is to miss the whole point of faith (John 20:29).
Campbell34

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 02:18 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;48729 wrote:
A simple bit of copy-paste just to spice up the pot.

1. There are several mundane ways in which a prediction of the future can be fulfilled:
1. Retrodiction. The "prophecy" can be written or modified after the events fulfilling it have already occurred.
2. Vagueness. The prophecy can be worded in such a way that people can interpret any outcome as a fulfillment. Nostradomus's prophecies are all of this type. Vagueness works particularly well when people are religiously motivated to believe the prophecies.
3. Inevitability. The prophecy can predict something that is almost sure to happen, such as the collapse of a city. Since nothing lasts forever, the city is sure to fall someday. If it has not, it can be said that according to prophecy, it will.
4. Denial. One can claim that the fulfilling events occurred even if they have not. Or, more commonly, one can forget that the prophecy was ever made.
5. Self-fulfillment. A person can act deliberately to satisfy a known prophecy.

There are no prophecies in the Bible that cannot easily fit into one or more of those categories.

2. In biblical times, prophecies were not simply predictions. They were warnings of what could or would happen if things did not change. They were meant to influence people's behavior. If the people heeded the prophecy, the events would not come to pass; Jonah 3 gives an example. A fulfilled prophecy was a failed prophecy, because it meant people did not heed the warning.

3. The Bible also contains failed prophecies, in the sense that things God said would happen did not (Skeptic's Annotated Bible n.d.). For example:
* Joshua said that God would, without fail, drive out the Jebusites and Canaanites, among others (Josh. 3:9-10). But those tribes were not driven out (Josh. 15:63, 17:12-13).
* Ezekiel said Egypt would be made an uninhabited wasteland for forty years (29:10-14), and Nebuchadrezzar would plunder it (29:19-20). Neither happened.

4. Other religions claim many fulfilled prophecies, too (Prophecy Fulfilled n.d.).

5. Divinity is not shown by miracles. The Bible itself says true prophecies may come elsewhere than from God (Deut. 13:1-3), as may other miracles (Exod. 7:22, Matt. 4:8). Some people say that to focus on proofs is to miss the whole point of faith (John 20:29).

Please explain how Jerusalems East Gate Prophecy easily fits into one of your above categories?
Numpty

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 03:25 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;48804 wrote:
Please explain how Jerusalems East Gate Prophecy easily fits into one of your above categories?

He has on countless occassions you just fail to listen or even attempt to understand.
Campbell34

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 04:01 pm
@Numpty,
Numpty;48805 wrote:
He has on countless occassions you just fail to listen or even attempt to understand.

I'm sorry Numpty, I have listened. Yet the East Gate prophecy does not fall under any of the examples given, especially when one considers that all of that prophecy was fulfilled by non believers in the Bible. Do you think those non believers wanted to prove that the Bible was correct?
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 05:57 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;48804 wrote:

#2 & #4
Campbell34

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 03:12 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;48811 wrote:
#2 & #4

The East Gate Prophecy had no string attached. There were no warnings connected to it. The Bible simply states this will happen. So that rules out No. 2 . The fact that other religions claim thay have fulfilled prophecies. So what? This prophecy is a valid fact. We can look at other prophecies from other religions. Yet, those prophecies have little to do with this one that is obviously true. So that rules out No. 4.

And I have asked others in the past to show me some of these other prophecies from the other religions, and I'm still waiting.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 10:04 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;48920 wrote:
The East Gate Prophecy had no string attached. There were no warnings connected to it. The Bible simply states this will happen. So that rules out No. 2 . The fact that other religions claim thay have fulfilled prophecies. So what? This prophecy is a valid fact. We can look at other prophecies from other religions. Yet, those prophecies have little to do with this one that is obviously true. So that rules out No. 4.

And I have asked others in the past to show me some of these other prophecies from the other religions, and I'm still waiting.

Why is it that your the only person who's ever heard of the east gate prophecy, i've looked and could not find it anywhere. Do you care to enlighten us as to exactly what it is?