What does "Theory" mean?

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 12:24 am
I am truly alarmed at what people understand by the word "Theory".

Please go to
Theory vs. Hypothesis vs. Law: Unraveling the Confusion of Important Terminology

to understand what it means.

Science is always correcting itself. That is why it is the best route to truth. Check, experiment, verify, discard.

Now, earlier we used to use the word "Law". Today we are uneasy using the word law and instead use the word theory.

Newton's laws for example tend to distort under the weight of relativity. Meaning, there are situations where is cannot be applied and we need a nuanced version or something radical like relativity or quantum mechanics (quantum "theory"). Hence the present caution against using the word "law".

To taunt evolution for example, by calling it "just a theory" is to show a massive ignorance that cannot be eradicated by reading the Bible or Koran. You need to read something more meaningful. Like a school text book.

So my friends, a 'theory' isn't something loosy-goosy. It is a firm conclusion like the Theory of Evolution based on experiments, emperical data and scientific verifications. Has the original theory as envisaged by Darwin been modifed? You bet. He had no clue on genetics. He was unaware of the genetical experiments being conducted by Mendel. Today, powered by genetical research, Evolution may look different from what Darwin envisaged but it is the most sensible and robust theory doing the rounds. Molecular biology is like a B12 Vitamin shot to the Theory of Evolution.

To displace it, we need to find something as sensible and robust.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,120 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Numpty

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 10:05 am
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;42684 wrote:
I am truly alarmed at what people understand by the word "Theory".

Please go to
Theory vs. Hypothesis vs. Law: Unraveling the Confusion of Important Terminology

to understand what it means.

Science is always correcting itself. That is why it is the best route to truth. Check, experiment, verify, discard.

Now, earlier we used to use the word "Law". Today we are uneasy using the word law and instead use the word theory.

Newton's laws for example tend to distort under the weight of relativity. Meaning, there are situations where is cannot be applied and we need a nuanced version or something radical like relativity or quantum mechanics (quantum "theory"). Hence the present caution against using the word "law".

To taunt evolution for example, by calling it "just a theory" is to show a massive ignorance that cannot be eradicated by reading the Bible or Koran. You need to read something more meaningful. Like a school text book.

So my friends, a 'theory' isn't something loosy-goosy. It is a firm conclusion like the Theory of Evolution based on experiments, emperical data and scientific verifications. Has the original theory as envisaged by Darwin been modifed? You bet. He had no clue on genetics. He was unaware of the genetical experiments being conducted by Mendel. Today, powered by genetical research, Evolution may look different from what Darwin envisaged but it is the most sensible and robust theory doing the rounds. Molecular biology is like a B12 Vitamin shot to the Theory of Evolution.

To displace it, we need to find something as sensible and robust.

Why aren'y the religous members responding to these well thought out and educated threads? Come on, the bible must have some sort of evidence which will prove Adam Bing wrong, surely?
Adam Bing

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 10:28 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;43052 wrote:
Why aren'y the religous members responding to these well thought out and educated threads? Come on, the bible must have some sort of evidence which will prove Adam Bing wrong, surely?

I would love to be proven wrong.

- no one has cornered the market for truth.

- we are all falliable.

- the best way to seek anything is through scientific investigation techniques.

- The best part of these techniques is that if the proof cannot be had and if the test fails even once, the hypothesis is thrown out of the window or the theory is discarded. Cheerfully.

- We must ensure that our chidren learn how to seek using scientific techniques. We must ensure they are not force fed any holy book and that they understand there is little difference between the Bible, The Koran and Grimms Fairy Tales.
0 Replies

adam24

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 10:54 am
@Adam Bing,
Theory- a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.

You notice that the definition says "in contrast to well established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact" That means that a THEORY is not well established, nor is it a FACT. This really isn't that complicated. If you have to try to convince people that evolution is both a confirmed fact AND a theory, then maybe there is a problem with just proving the theory and making it a law. Evolution is a theory because there is not yet sufficient evidence to prove it to be a fact. If it had already been proven, no one would call it a theory, they would call it a law. It does not matter how much you insist that evolution has already been proven, it simply has not. That is why we have the word THEORY and a completely seperate word with a completely different meaning called FACT.
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 10:59 am
@adam24,
adam24;47436 wrote:
Theory- a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.

You notice that the definition says "in contrast to well established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact" That means that a THEORY is not well established, nor is it a FACT. This really isn't that complicated. If you have to try to convince people that evolution is both a confirmed fact AND a theory, then maybe there is a problem with just proving the theory and making it a law. Evolution is a theory because there is not yet sufficient evidence to prove it to be a fact. If it had already been proven, no one would call it a theory, they would call it a law. It does not matter how much you insist that evolution has already been proven, it simply has not. That is why we have the word THEORY and a completely seperate word with a completely different meaning called FACT.

"In science, a theory is a mathematical or logical explanation, or a testable model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation. It follows from this that for scientists "theory" and "fact" do not necessarily stand in opposition. For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the center of the planet, and the theories commonly used to describe and explain this behaviour are Newton's theory of universal gravitation (see also gravitation), and general relativity."

Quote:
That means that a THEORY is not well established, nor is it a FACT.

The theory of relativity
The theory of gravity
The theory of atomic physics

So, these are all not well established, nor fact. Correct?
adam24

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 09:51 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;47439 wrote:
"In science, a theory is a mathematical or logical explanation, or a testable model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation.
QUOTE]

If it can be falsified...then how is it a fact?

And dont try to put evolution on the same level as gravity, that is rediculous. I can sit here for hours giving evidence that contradicts the THEORY of evolution, I cant think of a single reason not to believe in gravity. Gravity may technically be called a theory, but we all know that it is a fact, if you have doubts, go jump off your roof. I have doubts about evolution, so I will go watch a monkey and see if he turns into a person, we will see who ends up believing which theory.
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 05:47 am
@adam24,
adam24;47551 wrote:
Sabz5150;47439 wrote:
"In science, a theory is a mathematical or logical explanation, or a testable model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation.

Quote:

If creation cannot be scientifically explained, if it cannot be proven, then how is it fact?

To answer your question... it can be falsified if a piece of evidence completely contradicts it. This evidence must be extremely solid to blow away everything else we've collected. Takes a lot to do that.

As far as we know, this is how it happened.

Quote:
And dont try to put evolution on the same level as gravity, that is rediculous.

*I* didn't put them on the same level. YOU did. You come in here like a badass, posting up something you know nothing about, and wind up getting smacked down by YOUR OWN definition.

Quote:
That means that a THEORY is not well established, nor is it a FACT

Did you or did you not make that statement?

You're easy to debate.

Quote:
I can sit here for hours giving evidence that contradicts the THEORY of evolution.

And I can blow creation away in one sentence.

God is not science.

Quote:
I cant think of a single reason not to believe in gravity.

Quote:
That means that a THEORY is not well established, nor is it a FACT
[/B]

You believe in it although by YOUR OWN ADMISSION it is not well established nor fact.

Also, you say this:

Quote:

Gravity is a theory because we don't know exactly what causes it. Therefore it could be falsified. How is this theory, THAT YOU BELIEVE IN, fact?

Quote:
Gravity may technically be called a theory, but we all know that it is a fact, if you have doubts, go jump off your roof. I have doubts about evolution, so I will go watch a monkey and see if he turns into a person, we will see who ends up believing which theory.

Ooooohhh... it's a TECHNICALITY. Picking and choosing. Although they are BOTH theories. Sorry, you're contradicting yourself on a HUGE level here. They're both theories for the same reason.

Your argument is falling apart. Fast.

I expected something more from you... like a challenge.
0 Replies

adam24

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 05:09 pm
@Adam Bing,
Sadz, please man, dont debate with me anymore, leave room for the intelligent people. All your arguments are saying is, "uh uh, your wrong." You never actually make any statments that argue my points.

Gravity may technically be considered a theory, because it just cannot accuratly be called a fact by definition. Evolution on the other hand, simply has little evidence to back it up, so it has to be a theory because its not even close to a fact. Is that so hard to understand? Are you saying that you think evidence will be found one day to contradict the theory of gravity? I AM saying that we already have tons of evidence that contradicts the theory of evolution. Gravity is a theory in name only, if you cant grasp that, then maybe you should see if they have a debate forum on disneychannel.com you can join.

So "God is not science" proves that creation is untrue? I think you will have to elaborate on that one, little fella. That was probably one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Seriously, I was going to stop there, but what were you thinking? How did you even think that that somehow would "blow creation away"? I mean you must have been joking...WOW...I seriously think I may have found the stupidest thing any non-retarded person has ever said.. that is assuming that you are not retarded of course. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb....read a book you freaking MORON!!!!!!
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 07:21 pm
@adam24,
adam24;47625 wrote:
Sadz, please man, dont debate with me anymore, leave room for the intelligent people. All your arguments are saying is, "uh uh, your wrong." You never actually make any statments that argue my points.

You're funny. Where have I said such a thing? You will need to do much better than that to convince ANYBODY you're producing anything worthwhile here.

Is this gonna turn into another of your "Well how do you explain THIS without GOD?!" challenges?

Quote:
Gravity may technically be considered a theory, because it just cannot accuratly be called a fact by definition.

There's that word... TECHNICALLY again. Gravity can be observed. Drop something on the ground. That's gravity. What causes it? That's the good question.

Quote:
Evolution on the other hand, simply has little evidence to back it up, so it has to be a theory because its not even close to a fact. Is that so hard to understand?

Evolution has plenty of evidence to back it up. If it didn't have evidence and wasn't testable, it wouldn't be a theory, now would it?

Quote:
Are you saying that you think evidence will be found one day to contradict the theory of gravity? I AM saying that we already have tons of evidence that contradicts the theory of evolution. Gravity is a theory in name only, if you cant grasp that, then maybe you should see if they have a debate forum on disneychannel.com you can join.

"Several decades after the discovery of general relativity it was realized that general relativity cannot be the complete theory of gravity because it is incompatible with quantum mechanics. Later it was understood that it is possible to describe gravity in the framework of quantum field theory like the other fundamental forces. In this framework the attractive force of gravity arises due to exchange of virtual gravitons, in the same way as the electromagnetic force arises from exchange of virtual photons. This reproduces general relativity in the classical limit. However, this approach fails at short distances of the order of the Planck length, where a more complete theory of quantum gravity is required. Many believe the complete theory to be string theory, or more currently M Theory."

(From the Pedia, because copy-paste is easier than typing)

Debate gravity's existence? No. Debate the THEORY of gravity and gravitation? Absolutely!

Sheesh... you don't even know THAT. How can I take you seriously?

Quote:
So "God is not science" proves that creation is untrue? I think you will have to elaborate on that one, little fella. That was probably one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Seriously, I was going to stop there, but what were you thinking? How did you even think that that somehow would "blow creation away"? I mean you must have been joking...WOW...I seriously think I may have found the stupidest thing any non-retarded person has ever said.. that is assuming that you are not retarded of course. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb....read a book you freaking MORON!!!!!!

My pleasure to elaborate.

You cannot describe God with science. God requires that everything we know to be incorrect. Unless you are ready to explain how the fundamental laws of space and time can be broken at a whim, you have no scientific basis.

This, in the scientific view, means that God is not science.

God is required for EVERYTHING you believe. If you cannot explain God using scientific methods, then you cannot explain anything that has been done by him. Thus you cannot scientifically explain creation.

How exactly do you explain everything God has done without explaining God himself?

You say that Noah's flood can be proven by science. Well... how exactly did this flood happen? Oh, GOD made it rain. You can't scientifically explain God, therefore your hypothesis about the flood can go no farther.

You say creation can be proven by science. How did creation start? GOD? Explain this God. Show me a testable theory of this God. Please, show me some science that says an all powerful being that can break all known natural laws made everything.

You sure talk all big and bad for not knowing the scientific processes, basic laws of nature, gravitation, evolution, hell... did you even take a science course?

All this yap, not a single shred of evidence to back it up. You spend more time trying to disprove evolution than you do to prove creation. Otherwise you'd have posted your information and sources a long time ago.

So, keep it up. We're all having a great laugh at your expense.
0 Replies

RED DEVIL cv

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 07:38 pm
@Numpty,
Numpty;43052 wrote:

I do not know if I am qualified, but does not a theory have to be based upon "reproducible" evidence and observation? If one can not submit an example of being able to reproduce an experiment that suggests that "macroevolution" is a product of "mircoevolution" and offer any "observed" product thereof, such as nature would confirm, then the theory stops being a valid theory when it is backed only by non-empirical evidence, that is, evidence based only on more theory. As defined by Science it is self professed to be the knowledge of truth, and a valid theory defined is speculation based upon "empirical" evidence which is defined by Mr. Websters collegiate dictionary as different from a hypothesis due to having empirical evidence to support its speculations. If any one could please present the "empirical" evidence that the theory of MARCOEVOLUTION is based upon it would indeed but to sleep this attempt at the semantics of trying to prove intelligence by techincal precepts. Either put up or shut up. RD
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 07:44 pm
@RED DEVIL cv,
RED DEVIL;47669 wrote:
I do not know if I am qualified, but does not a theory have to be based upon "reproducible" evidence and observation? If one can not submit an example of being able to reproduce an experiment that suggests that "macroevolution" is a product of "mircoevolution" and offer any "observed" product thereof, such as nature would confirm, then the theory stops being a valid theory when it is backed only by non-empirical evidence, that is, evidence based only on more theory. As defined by Science it is self professed to be the knowledge of truth, and a valid theory defined is speculation based upon "empirical" evidence which is defined by Mr. Websters collegiate dictionary as different from a hypothesis due to having empirical evidence to support its speculations. If any one could please present the "empirical" evidence that the theory of MARCOEVOLUTION is based upon it would indeed but to sleep this attempt at the semantics of trying to prove intelligence by techincal precepts. Either put up or shut up. RD

Three words Devil:

Empirically prove God.

I only ask of you what you ask of me. Proof.

Put up or shut up.
adam24

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:58 pm
@Adam Bing,
Hey, that was a nice little cop-out there Sabz. Let me ask you, if he had actually given empirical evidence for God, would you have shown some for evolution?

Also, I never said that gravity could not be debated, I just said that the EXISTANCE of gravity is not open for debate. The existance of macroevolution on the other hand, IS open for debate. So, OK, if its that important to you, Ill admit that gravity is indeed a theory, its just a solid theory that can never be proven wrong, whereas, evolution has not even been proven plausible.

Evolution is testable, really, are you sure about that? Have you ever seen a scientist turn a dog into a cow? 'Cause I sure havent. No, macroevolution is not testable. If it is, then by all means show me these tests. You got a link I can click to get to this fantasy world of yours?

And please, dont use that old cop-out, "You show me and Ill show you" I openly admit that God is not testable in a lab. My main reason for believing in God is that he explains EVERYTHING.
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:13 pm
@adam24,
adam24;47699 wrote:
Hey, that was a nice little cop-out there Sabz. Let me ask you, if he had actually given empirical evidence for God, would you have shown some for evolution?

I already have. Look for it.

Quote:
Also, I never said that gravity could not be debated, I just said that the EXISTANCE of gravity is not open for debate. The existaence of macroevolution on the other hand, IS open for debate. So, OK, if its that important to you, Ill admit that gravity is indeed a theory, its just a solid theory that can never be proven wrong, whereas, evolution has not even been proven plausible.

Only to creationists.

In science, the EXISTENCE of evolution is not up for debate. Typical creationist misinformation. It's inner workings are always debatable, as debates are welcome.

Evolution has been proven plausible. Want to see transitional fossils? Evolutionary lines? Fossil records? Genetic records? I can show them all.

Quote:
Evolution is testable, really, are you sure about that? Have you ever seen a scientist turn a dog into a cow? 'Cause I sure havent. No, macroevolution is not testable. If it is, then by all means show me these tests. You got a link I can click to get to this fantasy world of yours?

This one part here shows that you know absolutely nothing about how evolution or science works. Anyone with basic knowledge of evolution would not ask such a stupid question. You don't wave a wand and turn a dog into a cow. Cows did not evolve from dogs. It doesn't work that way. You completely miss the concept of evolution and only show your ignorance in doing so.

And I thought you said that you knew our theories. Looks more and more like you don't.

Quote:
And please, dont use that old cop-out, "You show me and Ill show you" I openly admit that God is not testable in a lab. My main reason for believing in God is that he explains EVERYTHING.

How can God explain everything if God himself cannot be explained?
0 Replies

adam24

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:34 pm
@Adam Bing,
Oh boy, this guy is just brilliant. I...do...not...actually....oh screw it, have a freind read this to you. I dont actually think that cows evolved from dogs, I was being sarcastic.
You actually think that macro-evolution has already been proven? I dont know what else to tell you except that if it were proven, why would anyone still doubt it? We dont doubt gravity, or the conservation of mass, or inertia, so why is this the only one we doubt. If anyone ever showed me this absolute proof of macroevolution that you all claim to have, I would believe you. But as of yet, I have only ever heard TALK of this proof. The fossil records dont prove a thing. They can be explained away with micro-evolution or mutation. Also no one even knows how old those fossils are. I am hoping you will start talking about carbon dating next, Ill love that.
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:51 pm
@adam24,
adam24;47705 wrote:
Oh boy, this guy is just brilliant. I...do...not...actually....oh screw it, have a freind read this to you. I dont actually think that cows evolved from dogs, I was being sarcastic.

It's too hard to tell.

Quote:
You actually think that macro-evolution has already been proven? I dont know what else to tell you except that if it were proven, why would anyone still doubt it?

The only people who doubt it are religious in nature. Therein lies your answer.

Quote:
We dont doubt gravity, or the conservation of mass, or inertia, so why is this the only one we doubt.

Religion. Read above.

Quote:
If anyone ever showed me this absolute proof of macroevolution that you all claim to have, I would believe you. But as of yet, I have only ever heard TALK of this proof. The fossil records dont prove a thing. They can be explained away with micro-evolution or mutation.

Believing in micro evolution and not macro evolution? Isn't that like believing in inches, but not in miles?

Quote:
Also no one even knows how old those fossils are. I am hoping you will start talking about carbon dating next, Ill love that.

I've already shot C14 dating to pieces. That's you guys' favorite toy. Scientists use more accurate methods, one where the variables don't change every few minutes.
0 Replies

RED DEVIL cv

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 11:47 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;47674 wrote:
Three words Devil:

Empirically prove God.

I only ask of you what you ask of me. Proof.

Put up or shut up.

That is the beauty of "FAITH".....one does not have to "PROVE" anything, only accept the truth as offered backed only by one's 'INDIVIDUAL' acceptance thereof, whereas on the other hand it is science indeed that professes to have the "knowledge of truth", and must present the evidence thereof or have its conclusions presented only as hypothesis or theory, and the difference is very distinct. In fact it is the modern technological advances that indeed make the "theory of evolution" separate into two distinct departments....the lst would be that of "mircoevolution", which indeed is a very valid theory and is confirmed by other scientific methods of research, such as, the study of biogenesis. While on the other hand, "marcoevolution" or "abiogenesis" have no support from either microbiology or mirco-evolution and can only be supported via speculation and more theory....as it offers no reproducible or observed empirical evidence in support of its positions that "life" evolved from inert organic material and once created by random happenstance, it is proven reproducible in nature by observation.

Again, as polite as can be asked, present the observed and repeatable empirical proofs that make "marco-evolution" or "a-biogenesis" a valid theory and not only a hypothesis of speculation, if you can.....please.

The problem being that "you" will not accept your belief as being described as being based on on words of speculation, which indeed is "blind faith". If a belief is followed without the implied proofs being validated it is no better than "religious" faith....and must stand on equal footing, not perched upon the highest mountain, shouting down in condescension of the "facts" that back its positions, when none are forthcoming. RD
Sabz5150

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 12:24 pm
@RED DEVIL cv,
RED DEVIL;47767 wrote:
That is the beauty of "FAITH".....one does not have to "PROVE" anything, only accept the truth as offered backed only by one's 'INDIVIDUAL' acceptance thereof, whereas on the other hand it is science indeed that professes to have the "knowledge of truth", and must present the evidence thereof or have its conclusions presented only as hypothesis or theory, and the difference is very distinct. In fact it is the modern technological advances that indeed make the "theory of evolution" separate into two distinct departments....the lst would be that of "mircoevolution", which indeed is a very valid theory and is confirmed by other scientific methods of research, such as, the study of biogenesis. While on the other hand, "marcoevolution" or "abiogenesis" have no support from either microbiology or mirco-evolution and can only be supported via speculation and more theory....as it offers no reproducible or observed empirical evidence in support of its positions that "life" evolved from inert organic material and once created by random happenstance, it is proven reproducible in nature by observation.

Again, as polite as can be asked, present the observed and repeatable empirical proofs that make "marco-evolution" or "a-biogenesis" a valid theory and not only a hypothesis of speculation, if you can.....please.

The problem being that "you" will not accept your belief as being described as being based on on words of speculation, which indeed is "blind faith". If a belief is followed without the implied proofs being validated it is no better than "religious" faith....and must stand on equal footing, not perched upon the highest mountain, shouting down in condescension of the "facts" that back its positions, when none are forthcoming. RD

Ah yes, abiogenesis. The second sharpest weapon in the creationist armada.

You miss one single thing: Evolution does not deal with the origins of life.

The origins of life are still highly debated. Nobody knows for sure. Evolution deals with what happened after said life came onto the scene.

You also miss one thing all creationists miss. Abiogenesis doesn't go from dirt to life instantly. Many changes are in between those two points. Just as you miss the things in between Evolution.

Lies, Damned Lies, Statistics, and Probability of Abiogenesis Calculations That ought to take care of your misconceptions.

You ask the question in such a manner that it is impossible to answer, simply because you are asking for something that is incorrect. Besides, I don't know how you can ask about abiogenesis when your belief says that life magically appeared out of nowhere, all ready to go and fully formed. Explain that one for me.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 10:19 am
@RED DEVIL cv,
RED DEVIL;47767 wrote:
That is the beauty of "FAITH".....one does not have to "PROVE" anything,

No. You can't.

I challenge you to give me the EMPIRICAL evidence of God.

You can't even prove your own beliefs, yet so sharply blame everything else of the same.
0 Replies

RED DEVIL cv

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 01:14 am
@Adam Bing,
Here is an example of a simple theory taught by the evolutionist, and presented to students as the best possibility for the birth of a Star. Star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I would like for anyone to present the empirical evidence that this "theory" is based upon, that which is observable. Just how many stars have the many astronomers that daily observe the universe actually have seen a star being born? The answer is none. Some will come back with a claim that it takes billions of years for a single star to be born. Well another question might best be presented for this conclusion. Just how many billions of Galaxies are there in the universe and within these Galaxies just how many stars are there. And finally just how old is the universe.

Science tells us that the universe is 13. 7 billion years old with at least 4% of it observable. Universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am not much on math but by using some common sense we shall try a simple calculation. Multiply the hundred billion galaxies by the hundreds of billions of stars in the observable universe and divide that by the claimed age of the universe and you get an extrapolated number of one star to have been born every 37 seconds from the beginning of the universe.

Now is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange that there is not one case of a star actually being observed while being born. And please do not point out the "Orion Nebula" as an example of star birth, as this nebula has actually been observed expanding and getting hotter, the opposite requirements for star birth.

What you might find while doing research about the birth of any star is words like...."Scientist think"....."The evidence points to the fact that they MUST be born as such"....."we believe".....Now this is a "perfect" example of what is being taught in our schools and offered as scientific "proof". Why is it that "We believe" and "Science Thinks" are considered empirical, when the definition of faith is a belief in something without actually observing it? As I said, would anyone please present the observed birth of a star and the empirical evidence that the popular theory is backed by scientific observation.

Science further tells us there is one hundred billion Galaxies in the "observable" universe Galaxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We are told that each Galaxy contains "BILLIONS OF STARS" Star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:thumbup:
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 06:42 am
@RED DEVIL cv,
RED DEVIL;49495 wrote:
Here is an example of a simple theory taught by the evolutionist, and presented to students as the best possibility for the birth of a Star. Star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I would like for anyone to present the empirical evidence that this "theory" is based upon, that which is observable. Just how many stars have the many astronomers that daily observe the universe actually have seen a star being born? The answer is none. Some will come back with a claim that it takes billions of years for a single star to be born. Well another question might best be presented for this conclusion. Just how many billions of Galaxies are there in the universe and within these Galaxies just how many stars are there. And finally just how old is the universe.

Your first sentence completely discredits everything you say afterwards.

What exactly does evolution have to do with the formation of a star?

Answer: Nothing. However I will humor you (and myself).

"Key elements of star formation are only available by observing in wavelengths other than the optical. The structure of the molecular cloud and the effects of the protostar can be observed in near-IR extinction maps (where the number of stars are counted per unit area and compared to a nearby zero extinction area of sky), continuum dust emission and rotational transitions of CO and other molecules; these last two are observed in the millimeter and submillimeter range. The radiation from the protostar and early star has to be observed in infrared astronomy wavelengths, as the extinction caused by the rest of the cloud in which the star is forming is usually too big to allow us to observe it in the visual part of the spectrum. This presents considerable difficulties as the atmosphere is almost entirely opaque from 20μm to 850μm, with narrow windows at 200μm and 450μm. Even outside this range atmospheric subtraction techniques must be used.

The formation of individual stars can only be directly observed in our Galaxy, but in distant galaxies star formation has been detected through its unique spectral signature."

Here are the "Notable Pathfinder Objects"

* MWC 349 was first discovered in 1978, and is estimated to be only 1,000 years old. Since the object is located at a distance of 10,000 lightyears, it actually is now 11,000 years old.
* VLA 1623 -- The first exemplar Class 0 protostar, a type of embedded protostar that has yet to accrete the majority of its mass. Found in 1993, is possibly younger than 10,000 years.
* L1014 -- An incredibly faint embedded object representative of a new class of sources that are only now being detected with the newest telescopes. Their status is still undetermined, they could be the youngest low-mass Class 0 protostars yet seen or even very low-mass evolved objects (like a brown dwarf or even an interstellar planet).
* IRS 8* -- The youngest known main sequence star, discovered in August 2006. It is estimated to be 3.5 million years old.

Source: Star formation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Science tells us that the universe is 13. 7 billion years old with at least 4% of it observable. Universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am not much on math but by using some common sense we shall try a simple calculation. Multiply the hundred billion galaxies by the hundreds of billions of stars in the observable universe and divide that by the claimed age of the universe and you get an extrapolated number of one star to have been born every 37 seconds from the beginning of the universe.

As you yourself love to say, something cannot come from nothing. If there's not enough material around for a star to form, it isn't going to form. It needs a source of mass. A nebula is a great example. You expect this to go in a straight line. It doesn't. That's your first mistake.

Quote:
Now is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange that there is not one case of a star actually being observed while being born. And please do not point out the "Orion Nebula" as an example of star birth, as this nebula has actually been observed expanding and getting hotter, the opposite requirements for star birth.

Incorrect. Your second mistake. The Orion nebula is the very definition of what you are looking for.

"Astronomers have directly observed protoplanetary disks, brown dwarfs, intense and turbulent motions of the gas, and the photo-ionizing effects of massive nearby stars in the nebula."

So... we're observing the formation of planets, too!

"The Orion Nebula is an example of a stellar nursery where new stars are being born. Observations of the nebula have revealed approximately 700 stars in various stages of formation within the nebula.

Recent observations with the Hubble Space Telescope have yielded the major discovery of protoplanetary disks within the Orion Nebula, which have been dubbed proplyds. HST has revealed more than 150 of these within the nebula, and they are considered to be systems in the earliest stages of solar system formation. The sheer numbers of them have been used as evidence that the formation of solar systems is fairly common in our universe.

Stars form when clumps of hydrogen and other gases in an H II region contract under their own gravity. As the gas collapses, the central clump grows stronger and the gas heats to extreme temperatures by converting gravitational potential energy to thermal energy. If the temperature gets high enough, nuclear fusion will ignite and form a protostar. The protostar is 'born' when it begins to emit enough radiative energy to balance out its gravity and halt gravitational collapse.

Typically, a cloud of material remains a substantial distance from the star before the fusion reaction ignites. This remnant cloud is the protostar's protoplanetary disk, where planets may form. Recent infrared observations show that dust grains in these protoplanetary disks are growing, beginning on the path towards forming planetesimals."

There you have it.

Moving on. The whole "hot, expanding" claim.

Do you know what a Class O star is?

O's are huge. We're talking solar system size huge. They're stars that burn VERY hot, VERY fast. They expel so much energy that not only will planets not form around it, but planets won't form around the stars next to them.

They nova after a short period of time, having gone through their fuel like nobody's business.

"Observers have long noted a distinctive greenish tint to the nebula, in addition to regions of red and areas of blue-violet. The red hue is well-understood to be caused by Hα recombination line radiation at a wavelength of 656.3 nm. The blue-violet coloration is the reflected radiation from the massive O-class stars at the core of the nebula."

That explains why the nebula is hot and expanding. That by no means says that stars cannot form there. Even more so, the matter inside the nebula is forced to be a bit more dense in areas, further encouraging star formation.

"Once formed, the stars within the nebula emit a stream of charged particles known as a stellar wind. Massive stars and young stars have much stronger stellar winds than the Sun. The wind forms shock waves when it encounters the gas in the nebula, which then shapes the gas clouds. The shock waves from stellar wind also play a large part in stellar formation by compacting the gas clouds, creating density inhomogeneities that lead to gravitational collapse of the cloud."

Source: Orion Nebula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
What you might find while doing research about the birth of any star is words like...."Scientist think"....."The evidence points to the fact that they MUST be born as such"....."we believe".....Now this is a "perfect" example of what is being taught in our schools and offered as scientific "proof". Why is it that "We believe" and "Science Thinks" are considered empirical, when the definition of faith is a belief in something without actually observing it? As I said, would anyone please present the observed birth of a star and the empirical evidence that the popular theory is backed by scientific observation.

Take a look. There's all the evidence you need.

You need to research a lot more before asking questions and trying to selectively remove arguments that you cannot refute.

Quote:
Science further tells us there is one hundred billion Galaxies in the "observable" universe Galaxy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We are told that each Galaxy contains "BILLIONS OF STARS" Star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:thumbup:

Here's some math for you.

Take the number of stars in the universe. I'll make it easy... just draw an 8 sideways. At this point we don't even need to know the planet count (we do know there are planets around other stars). Put a one above that.

That's the chances that this ONE planet around this ONE star, in a universe filled with a near infinite number of stars (the number is mind wrenching), was chosen as the place where it all goes down.

Why this one tiny planet?
Why this one star?

Why the need to "create" a universe this infinitely huge for one planet's worth of people?

Answer me that one.