Behold, I Am Against Your Pillows

Numpty

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 09:02 am
In lamenting how stubborn and hard-hearted we atheists are, many Christian fundamentalists say we'd be converted for sure if only we'd read the Bible.

Ebon Musings: Behold, I Am Against Your Pillows

Very good reading methinks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 4,026 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 09:16 am
@Numpty,
I am better read on the bible than many of my christian family members.
Numpty

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 09:18 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;62305 wrote:
I am better read on the bible than many of my christian family members.

I have just been reading some of the quotes, my personal favourite so far.

Exodus 33:23
God moons Moses.

(Well, what other meaning are we supposed to take away from, "And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts"?)

Too funny.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 10:01 am
@Numpty,
But admittedly, i only know the things i know about the bible as ammo in arguments. Very Happy
0 Replies

Musky Hunter

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 04:15 am
@Numpty,
It is not only about reading the Bible, it is also about the Spirit you read it in.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 06:34 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62385 wrote:
It is not only about reading the Bible, it is also about the Spirit you read it in.

:rollinglaugh:

I laugh everytime i hear this argument! You are asking people to have prejudice before reading the bible.
Musky Hunter

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 07:36 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;62393 wrote:
:rollinglaugh:

I laugh everytime i hear this argument! You are asking people to have prejudice before reading the bible.

You don't have a similar prejudice when reading a peer reviewed science article about evolution?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 07:56 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62397 wrote:
You don't have a similar prejudice when reading a peer reviewed science article about evolution?

I have never asked anybody to have prejudice before reading something, you have.
Musky Hunter

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 08:14 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;62400 wrote:
I have never asked anybody to have prejudice before reading something, you have.

So... Should all forms of creation theory be taught in our schools or should it only be the one theory that has been presently selected to be correct by the current body of scientists and politicians in control of making that determination?

Don't you consider teaching only one primary theory of creation to school children and including only one creation theory in the science text books and refusing to allow other creation theories to be even brought up in class to be a form of "prejudice before reading something" in dealing with teaching our children?
Numpty

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 08:21 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62407 wrote:
So... Should all forms of creation theory be taught in our schools or should it only be the one theory that has been presently selected to be correct by the current body of scientists and politicians in control of making that determination?

Don't you consider teaching only one primary theory of creation to school children and including only one creation theory in the science text books and refusing to allow other creation theories to be even brought up in class to be a form of "prejudice before reading something" in dealing with teaching our children?

No forms of Creation ideas should be taught in school because they have never been proven by scientific testing. You are not listening.

Would you be happy for your children to be taught something, whatever it maybe, if it had not under gone the sternest of scutinisation and peer review? Of course you wouldn't that is why Creation should notbe taught in any school.
Musky Hunter

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 08:24 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;62408 wrote:
No forms of Creation ideas should be taught in school because they have never been proven by scientific testing. You are not listening.

Would you be happy for your children to be taught something, whatever it maybe, if it had not under gone the sternest of scutinisation and peer review? Of course you wouldn't that is why Creation should notbe taught in any school.

Actually, to a degree, I would. I think that it is more important that children are taught in schools to be curious and to think for themselves than it is for them to learn any particular set of "facts"
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 08:30 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62410 wrote:
Actually, to a degree, I would. I think that it is more important that children are taught in schools to be curious and to think for themselves than it is for them to learn any particular set of "facts"

Should we teach children alchemy? Astrology? Tarot reading?
0 Replies

Numpty

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 08:30 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62410 wrote:

You miss the point. No doubt Children are curious anyway, they want to learn, need to learn. But filling them full of information that has never been proved to be true is a dereliction of duty on behalf of the school curriculum.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 08:32 am
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62407 wrote:

There is only one theory as to the diversity of life.
0 Replies

Redfeather

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 02:11 pm
@Numpty,
You can not help it, if you don't understand the bible. Many don't because it is written in code. KJV 1611. Try parachute.
0 Replies

Redfeather

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 02:12 pm
@Numpty,
I am an Israelite. Many do not understand the bible because it is written in code. Try parachute. Remember it is estimated 2500 yrs. prior being deciphered in 1611.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 02:18 pm
Until i got to that last joker, i was pretty well convinced that either all the posts were by a single individual, or that they were all the result of collusion. Too pat, too easy . . .
roger

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 02:59 pm
@Setanta,
Ya suppose an Israelite is different from an Israeli?
Tai Chi

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 03:17 pm
@roger,
Underweight?

(Shoot, I thought this was gonna be about home decor.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2011 03:44 pm
@roger,
Oh yeah, Buddy . . . you remember that song . . .

Get up in the morning, slaving for bread, sir,
So that every mouth can be fed.
Poor me, the Israelite. Aah.

My wife and my kids, they are packed up and leave me.
Darling, she said, I was yours to be seen.
Poor me, the Israelite. Aah.
0 Replies