Chimps clever than humans?

Numpty

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 11:47 am
If God put the animals on the earth to be used how we see fit.

Why have they got 99% of the same DNA code and seemingly 5 year old chimps have better short term memory than adult humans.

Begs the question

Are we really the only sentient beings on the planet and hold mastery over all, as the religous books would have us believe and most people for that matter. Or are we further down or closer to our animal neighbours than we feel comfortable with?

The disturbing question posed by IQ tests - are chimps cleverer than us? | the Daily Mail

edit- if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 879 • Replies: 18
No top replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 04:59 pm
@Numpty,
Chimps are awesome - smarter than most humans, for their age.
0 Replies

Drakej

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 05:33 pm
@Numpty,
The big difference is we can think abstractly. We are able to reason our actions, we do not rely on pure instinct.
socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 06:34 pm
@Drakej,
Drakej;48009 wrote:
The big difference is we can think abstractly. We are able to reason our actions, we do not rely on pure instinct.

In fact, the instincts of a chimp are lost on most humans.
0 Replies

Drakej

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 06:58 pm
@Numpty,
More or less yes. It has been coached out of us to have sex when we want to have sex. Also the ability to kill when killing is needed to be done. I am not talking about humans but being able to kill an animal. I know alot of people that find the idea of killing an animal just unimaginable.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 09:25 pm
@Drakej,
Many of humans actions and beliefs are based upon a survival of a tribalistic soceity

for example, women with physical characterisics of a good mother are usually seen as more attractive, subconsciously that is.

guys like big boobs, because it indicates the woman has plenty of milk in her breasts, most men don't know this is why they like big boobs.

in harsh survival conditions a women with more milk in her breasts has an advantage to raising children over a women who doesn't.
0 Replies

klyph

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 05:36 am
@Numpty,

Is the author of this article clever enough to realize that cleverer is not a word? Or is the author himself a chimpanzee? These are the questions that need answering.
socalgolfguy

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 12:55 pm
@klyph,
klyph;48057 wrote:
Is the author of this article clever enough to realize that cleverer is not a word? Or is the author himself a chimpanzee? These are the questions that need answering.

well said lol
0 Replies

Numpty

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 01:21 pm
@klyph,
klyph;48057 wrote:

If that is the only constructive comment you can make, prehaps this site is not for you, whether someones English is grammatically correct is irrelevant. The message is in the story, or is that too intellectual for you? Very Happy
klyph

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 05:44 pm
@Numpty,
Numpty;48116 wrote:
If that is the only constructive comment you can make, prehaps this site is not for you, whether someones English is grammatically correct is irrelevant. The message is in the story, or is that too intellectual for you? Very Happy

I found it humorous that an article about intelligence had a blatant grammatical error in the title. Thanks for being a poopy-pants.

The article was ridiculous and poorly written PETA propaganda. So chimps have better short term requisition, big deal, that's one aspect of intelligence. Humans are superior due to our broad range of abilities, not because we are particularly gifted in a few specific aspects, like most animals. The info in the article was not surprising and proves nothing. That being said, I have no doubt that there are some chimps that are smarter than some people. People I used to work with...
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 06:17 pm
@klyph,
HA HA...

Does sarcasm go over all of your heads?

the grammatical error is there as a joke.

can't believe you guys didn't catch that!
0 Replies

klyph

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 06:31 pm
@Numpty,
I guess I was not cleverer enough to catch the sarcasm
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 12:28 pm
@Numpty,
Numpty;47587 wrote:
If God put the animals on the earth to be used how we see fit.

Why have they got 99% of the same DNA code and seemingly 5 year old chimps have better short term memory than adult humans.

Begs the question

Are we really the only sentient beings on the planet and hold mastery over all, as the religous books would have us believe and most people for that matter. Or are we further down or closer to our animal neighbours than we feel comfortable with?

The disturbing question posed by IQ tests - are chimps cleverer than us? | the Daily Mail

edit- if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it

We also share one third the same DNA as Yeast.
Numpty

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 06:10 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;48197 wrote:
We also share one third the same DNA as Yeast.

Cool, but I do wonder why you would know that. Very Happy
rugonnacry

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 11:11 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;48232 wrote:
Cool, but I do wonder why you would know that. Very Happy

Because the line we are 99% monkey has been used for decades... there was bound to be comparisons like that to other things

We are over 60% in common with a mosquito, and 50% in common with a banana

All these comparisons do is point to the single cell organism that started it all in the primordial soup of our beginnings
socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 12:16 pm
@Numpty,
Hmm - a bug and a banana...interesting.
scooby-doo cv

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 12:43 pm
@socalgolfguy,
they are much better climbers !
0 Replies

Numpty

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 05:42 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;48463 wrote:
All these comparisons do is point to the single cell organism that started it all in the primordial soup of our beginnings

Agreed, got no arguments here.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 05:51 pm
@Numpty,
"primordial" -- good word.
0 Replies