Was Jesus Gay?

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 11:58 am
According to the U.S. Biblical scholar, Morton Smith, of Columbia University, a fragment of manuscript he found at the Mar Saba monastery near Jerusalem in 1958, showed that the full text of St. Mark chapter 10 (between verses 34 and 35 in the standard version of the Bible) contains a passage which includes the following text. --

"And the youth, looking upon him (Jesus), loved him and beseeched that he might remain with him. And going out of the tomb, they went into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days, Jesus instructed him and, at evening, the youth came to him wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God".

Tatchell says there is scant information about Jesus's sexuality: "We don't know for sure whether Jesus was straight, gay, bisexual or celibate. There is certainly no evidence for the Church's presumption that he was heterosexual. Nothing in the Bible points to him having desires or relationships with women. The possibility of a gay Christ cannot be ruled out.

"Since there is no proof of the heterosexuality of Jesus, the theological basis of Church homophobia is all the more shaky and indefensible.

"Jesus was born a man and therefore presumably had male sexual feelings. But there are no references in the gospels to his sexuality. Large chunks of Jesus's life are missing from the Biblical accounts.

This has fuelled speculation that the early Church sanitised the gospels, removing references to Christ's sexuality that were not in accord with the heterosexual morality that it wanted to promote", said Peter Tatchell.

The Strange Case of the Secret Gospel of Mark
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,030 • Replies: 14
No top replies

rugonnacry

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 12:01 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
That was reaching.
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 12:07 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
Is that the best you can do?

Pathetic. Your faith is surely weak.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 12:10 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
Thinking I have any faith in some work of fiction, IE BIBLE is reaching even further.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 12:10 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
If you go through all ancient writing on Jesus you find things that talk about Jesus instructing women to become men, his secret Deals with Judas to betray him, Jesus having a son and wife, even one with a talking cross.

Hell we can't even prove that Michael Jackson slept with the boy who stayed over with him, how are you are going to even begin to conclude this?
FedUpAmerican

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 12:22 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
I'm not asking for conclusions. Just for "the faithful" to defend their faith a little.

To rugonnacry: I apologize for thinking that you were a Christian. I realize that would be a tremendous insult. Please accept my apologies.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 12:23 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;42213 wrote:
If you go through all ancient writing on Jesus you find things that talk about Jesus instructing women to become men, his secret Deals with Judas to betray him, Jesus having a son and wife, even one with a talking cross.

Hell we can't even prove that Michael Jackson slept with the boy who stayed over with him, how are you are going to even begin to conclude this?

HAHAha
mlurp

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 02:05 pm
@rugonnacry,
Silverchild79, could you produce someof these writings. Quote: Re: Was Jesus Gay?
If you go through all ancient writing on Jesus you find things that talk about Jesus instructing women to become men?????????
FEDUPAMERICAN I find on reason to defend another attack on Christ. I believe, and that is enough for me. I mean anyone can say anything. And We believers wouldn't have time to pray or read our Bibles. post what you will there isn't any debate in this other than asking what I have from Silverchild79? And that is a question.
In that little portion of suppose to be scripitures I see nothing more than written. And doubt it is real. I think more is being read into it that worth any believers time to respond, but them that want to can, right?
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 02:16 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
just do a search for non-cannon gospels, I think RUGONNACRY is more well read on them then I
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 02:51 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
Then it sure would be nice to see some counter points to my points as opposed to the "far stretch" comments.
mlurp

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 05:25 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
Awww now you know how I use to feel.
Using the long ago logic of a combat vetern. "It don't Mean Nothing" helps me. try it or do as you chose.

Just offering a way of dealing with the fact what one sees as important others seem to not care about.

Like this nonsense. http://www.conflictingviews.com/t2288/#post42270
0 Replies

Brian764

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 06:21 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;42205 wrote:
According to the U.S. Biblical scholar, Morton Smith, of Columbia University, a fragment of manuscript he found at the Mar Saba monastery near Jerusalem in 1958, showed that the full text of St. Mark chapter 10 (between verses 34 and 35 in the standard version of the Bible) contains a passage which includes the following text. --

"And the youth, looking upon him (Jesus), loved him and beseeched that he might remain with him. And going out of the tomb, they went into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days, Jesus instructed him and, at evening, the youth came to him wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God".

Tatchell says there is scant information about Jesus's sexuality: "We don't know for sure whether Jesus was straight, gay, bisexual or celibate. There is certainly no evidence for the Church's presumption that he was heterosexual. Nothing in the Bible points to him having desires or relationships with women. The possibility of a gay Christ cannot be ruled out.

"Since there is no proof of the heterosexuality of Jesus, the theological basis of Church homophobia is all the more shaky and indefensible.

"Jesus was born a man and therefore presumably had male sexual feelings. But there are no references in the gospels to his sexuality. Large chunks of Jesus's life are missing from the Biblical accounts.

This has fuelled speculation that the early Church sanitised the gospels, removing references to Christ's sexuality that were not in accord with the heterosexual morality that it wanted to promote", said Peter Tatchell.

The Strange Case of the Secret Gospel of Mark

Satan is grasping at straws in an attempt win a battle that he has already lost, even before he even got started.
Silverchild79

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 06:28 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
or they could just be other books not recognized by the Church
0 Replies

mommamia

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 07:47 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
Not that I want to defend the christian rights idiotic stand on gays but, this is kinda silly. There is one non cannon gospel where Mary Magdelene is described as the one Jesus kissed, and in John (I think) John is described as the one Jesus loved. The bible is a book that contradicts itself many times over. Was Jesus gay? Who knows, who cares, why bother? The early church took alot of things out of the bible it didn't like, it isn't a good source for truth about anything.
You will never convince a bible thumper, and the rest of us probably don't care.
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 07:24 am
@Brian764,
Brian@764;42283 wrote:
Satan is grasping at straws in an attempt win a battle that he has already lost, even before he even got started.

Is your faith REALLY that weak where you cannot produce ANYTHING other than your superstitous belief in Satan?
0 Replies