Crucifixion

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 02:52 pm
The tortured image of a man suffering until death.

This is what Christians worship.

Look at the pain and suffering that is captured in that image. Look hard at the love of your God.

You "eat of his flesh and drink of his blood" to make you feel closer to Him.

Why would any reasonably sane individual think to ever get involved with this ****?

Yet CHILDREN are subjected to these vile images in loving Chistian households on a daily basis, but are forbidden to play violent video games or, heaven forbid, listen to evil rock music.

Look close at the figure you pray to.

Can you really see love in that barbaric image?

Yet it seems that non-believers are crucified by some Christians for NOT believing. Even here on this forum there are those that solely wish to squelch the voice of opposition through censorship and child-like pouting.

Have we not grown as a society to respect each others viewpoints without slanderous words hurled at those with opposing ideals?

Are we still living in the dark ages where people cannot live and love one another even though they disagree?

I find that quite sad and pathetic.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 733 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 03:08 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
Jesus on a cross is a symbol much like the supposed drinking of his blood and eating of his body.
What symbols do atheist use? Do you have faith in the presumption that there is no God? What proof do you have of your conviction?
Quote:
Yet it seems that non-believers are crucified by some Christians for NOT believing.
Do you feel like you've been nailed to a cross? Or that you should be?
Quote:
Even here on this forum there are those that solely wish to squelch the voice of opposition through censorship and child-like pouting.
Whine away, i got all day. There are also those that hate Christians enough to decry an injustice when the same person claiming the misdeed is not a person of faith. All the while pretending to be. The true Satan may be amond us. Can i take a wild guess that you are anti-semite too?
Silverchild79

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 03:11 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
Christians don't worship execution, they worship resurrection, the act of God overcoming death.

And many of the rituals associated with Christianity were actually pretty tame for their day, the Jews sacrificed living animals and used the blood to cover their sins daily, eating bread seems much nicer to me

But I have in my more speculative moments wondered how different Christian art would be if they used electric chairs back then...
FedUpAmerican

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 03:11 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;33389 wrote:

What symbols do atheist use?

Perhaps the question should be directed at an Athiest, of which I am not. Sorry.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 03:15 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
Your faithless, admit it. You can't stand being held accountable so you jump around faith like a pogo stick. All the time secretly enjoying atheism.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 03:17 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
So how long were you a Christian fedup? Were you a good one, LOL. Or were you like me?
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 03:17 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;33390 wrote:

But I have in my more speculative moments wondered how different Christian art would be if they used electric chairs back then...

LOL! I can see people walking around with electric chairs around their necks.

I realize that the image is meant to display "Gods love." I still find it rather disturbing though. Any image that I have seen of the crucifixion displays a great deal of agony.

Torture was NEVER my thing.

I also realize that there are good Christians that do great work. I recently had a stroke and was in a rehab center that was run by the Fransiscan Sisters. They got me back on my feet again in less than two months, for which I am eternally grateful.

I have seen the goodness of Christianity and have also experienced the bad of the religion.
Drnaline

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 03:19 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
Sisters were the good and XChristians such as your self were the bad?
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 03:26 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;33387 wrote:
The tortured image of a man suffering until death.

This is what Christians worship.

Look at the pain and suffering that is captured in that image. Look hard at the love of your God.

You "eat of his flesh and drink of his blood" to make you feel closer to Him.

Why would any reasonably sane individual think to ever get involved with this ****?

Yet CHILDREN are subjected to these vile images in loving Chistian households on a daily basis, but are forbidden to play violent video games or, heaven forbid, listen to evil rock music.

Look close at the figure you pray to.

Can you really see love in that barbaric image?

Yet it seems that non-believers are crucified by some Christians for NOT believing. Even here on this forum there are those that solely wish to squelch the voice of opposition through censorship and child-like pouting.

Have we not grown as a society to respect each others viewpoints without slanderous words hurled at those with opposing ideals?

Are we still living in the dark ages where people cannot live and love one another even though they disagree?

I find that quite sad and pathetic.

You always lump all Christians into one. Please quit doing so. Why not just ask questions instead of making statements that point a finger at a whole group?

I have many pictures of Christ in my home. None are of the cruxifiction. I have a beautiful painting of Christ sitting on a hill overlooking the city of Jerusalem, another of him praying in the Garden of Gethsemane, others with him playing with children, etc.

Check out the paintings by Greg Olsen:

Greg Olsen - O

The cruxifiction was a horrible example of man's inhumanity towards a person they were afraid of. Instead of trying to learn about the things he was teaching they were afraid of the unseen power of this unworldy person that had entered their realm.

The atonement did not happen on the Cross. It happened in the Garden. That was the time of his greatest suffering for us all. Being hung on a Cross was a time for 'our' greatest suffering.

Maybe seeing that should remind people of the terrible wrongs we do to one another without trying to get to know and respect each other.
FedUpAmerican

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 03:32 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;33399 wrote:
You always lump all Christians into one. Please quit doing so. Why not just ask questions instead of making statements that point a finger at a whole group?

You're right. My posts paint Christianity with a wide brush and it should not be so. I do not believe all Christians are bad people. I think ALL people in general are intrinisicly good.

Quote:

I have many pictures of Christ in my home. None are of the cruxifiction. I had a beautiful painting of Christ sitting on a hill overlooking the city of Jerusalem, another of him praying in the Garden of Gethsemane, others with him playing with children, etc.

Check out the paintings by Greg Olsen:

Greg Olsen - O

Thank you for the link. I will be sure to check it out.
Quote:

The cruxifiction was a horrible example of man's inhumanity towards a person they were afraid of. Instead of trying to learn about the things he was teaching they were afraid of the unseen power of this unworldy person that had entered their realm.

The atonement did not happen on the Cross. It happened in the Garden. That was the time of his greatest suffering for us all. Being hung on a Cross was a time for 'our' greatest suffering.

Maybe seeing that should remind people of the terrible wrongs we do to one another without trying to get to know and respect each other.

I agree. It is quite a shame that all do not possess your views.

I will point out in my future posts that it is SOME Christians that don't have a clue, as opposed to all.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 04:44 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUp,

I do want to relate a little story to you. I needed to have surgery when we lived in Alberta and the hospital was a Catholic hospital. Great care but when I woke up there was the scariest looking crucifix at the foot of my bed. Not believing in them it really kind of unsettled me! I couldn't wait to get home!

If you travel to the South American countries you will see them everywhere. Some are beautiful works of art and others are quite sad and hideous looking. But they are really a sacred symbol to some. Like I said earlier, I prefer the gentle countenance of Christ.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 04:53 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;33396 wrote:
I realize that the image is meant to display "Gods love." I still find it rather disturbing though. Any image that I have seen of the crucifixion displays a great deal of agony.

It should also be noted that before the foundation of the Catholic Church in the 330's Christians generally stuck to the "no graven images" rule and crosses weren't common in Christian art...
Drnaline

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2007 06:22 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
seems like an agony that you have not gone through.
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2007 02:06 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;33430 wrote:
It should also be noted that before the foundation of the Catholic Church in the 330's Christians generally stuck to the "no graven images" rule and crosses weren't common in Christian art...

Interesting point. Yet the current image is one of torture, agony and death. that [SIZE="3"]SOME [/SIZE]Christians call love. :no:

It's rather like [SIZE="3"]SOME[/SIZE] republicans calling war democracy.

But thats the topic of a whole other thread.
0 Replies