• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,024 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Silverchild79

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 10:27 am
@aaronssongs,
based on that study a little over 50% of young Americans consider themselves not a christian. When compared to 70% of Americans who call themselves a christian, down from 73% ten years ago, it is safe to say that the religious structure of our country will change dramatically this century. We could be looking at a largly Agnostic America by the year 2100
Brian764

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 05:32 pm
@aaronssongs,

Well I am not a shame to say that I am a Christian....I know that I am more than a follower of Jesus; I am one of His younger brothers. It does not bother me if some people have a negative view of Christians, because I don't really know all the detail of the circumstances why they would believe this.

I know that not everyone who calls themselves Christian are Christian; Jesus even spoke about this to the disciples before He was crucified. He said that there would be many false Christians. Also, it is possible that some of those who are critical of Christians, are that way because they hate the idea that there is something call wrong. Most people do not like to be told when they are doing something that is wrong, and because of that they can interpret that as being judgmental.
Silverchild79

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 05:51 pm
@Brian764,
Brian@764;41341 wrote:
I know that I am more than a follower of Jesus; I am one of His younger brothers.

could you expound on this for me?
Brian764

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 06:35 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;41343 wrote:
could you expound on this for me?

When a person becomes a Christian; and a Christian is only a Christian when they have been given the Holy Spirit, that person becomes an offspring of God. The Holy Spirit makes that person a member of God's family. Jesus is the first of many brethren. Jesus called the disciples after He was resurrected from the dead, His brothers. Jesus also said that when someone does something to the least of His brethren, good or bad, they are doing it to Him. In the Bible, God calls true Christians His sons...this includes females as it does males, because in the Greek the word that is translated son, can be translated a child.
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 06:54 pm
@Brian764,
Brian@764;41341 wrote:
Well I am not a shame to say that I am a Christian....I know that I am more than a follower of Jesus; I am one of His younger brothers. It does not bother me if some people have a negative view of Christians, because I don't really know all the detail of the circumstances why they would believe this.

I know that not everyone who calls themselves Christian are Christian; Jesus even spoke about this to the disciples before He was crucified. He said that there would be many false Christians. Also, it is possible that some of those who are critical of Christians, are that way because they hate the idea that there is something call wrong. Most people do not like to be told when they are doing something that is wrong, and because of that they can interpret that as being judgmental.

Well, some people have a delusional view of what it means to be a Christian.
One of those delusions is to adopt a "self-righteous" stance, and go about pointing fingers at those whom the self-appointed judge feels doesn't quite measure up to his or her interpretation of what the Bible says or, better yet, "means"....this is the height of arrogance, because the "self-appointed judge" is himself, "a sinner", no better or worse than those whom he is pointing fingers at.
The Puritans came to America seeking freedom from religious persecution....no different than what is being displayed here...persecution, based on one's interpretation of scripture...God said "Judge not, lest ye be judged"...and somehow, some people just ignore his instruction and go about "judging".....well, it was wrong then, and it's wrong now....you can't point fingers at anyone, with a big ol' thumb pointing back at you.
Why can't people get that
Brian764

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 07:15 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;41352 wrote:
Well, some people have a delusional view of what it means to be a Christian.
One of those delusions is to adopt a "self-righteous" stance, and go about pointing fingers at those whom the self-appointed judge feels doesn't quite measure up to his or her interpretation of what the Bible says or, better yet, "means"....this is the height of arrogance, because the "self-appointed judge" is himself, "a sinner", no better or worse than those whom he is pointing fingers at.
The Puritans came to America seeking freedom from religious persecution....no different than what is being displayed here...persecution, based on one's interpretation of scripture...God said "Judge not, lest ye be judged"...and somehow, some people just ignore his instruction and go about "judging".....well, it was wrong then, and it's wrong now....you can't point fingers at anyone, with a big ol' thumb pointing back at you.
Why can't people get that

Well I can't speak about those people you might be talking about, but I know this, God use imperfect people to point out the sins of others in the Bible. One does not have to be perfect to have authority to point out the sins of others. You see, there is a difference between when a Christian sins and when an unbeliever sins. A Christian, if being lead by the Holy Spirit does not practice sin; but he/she will sin from time to time because of human weakness. But an unbeliever sins because they chose to do things that are wrong. And also, as far as God is concern a Christian is considered righteous, because the righteousness of Jesus has been passed on to him/her.
aaronssongs

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:43 pm
@Brian764,
Brian@764;41354 wrote:
Well I can't speak about those people you might be talking about, but I know this, God use imperfect people to point out the sins of others in the Bible. One does not have to be perfect to have authority to point out the sins of others. You see, there is a difference between when a Christian sins and when an unbeliever sins. A Christian, if being lead by the Holy Spirit does not practice sin; but he/she will sin from time to time because of human weakness. But an unbeliever sins because they chose to do things that are wrong. And also, as far as God is concern a Christian is considered righteous, because the righteousness of Jesus has been passed on to him/her.

Nowhere in the Bible does it say that God uses people to point out the sins of others...you have just borne "false witness', a sin, I might add.
One does not have to be perfect to have authority to point out the sins of others????? So, you get to make up your own doctrine, and expect others to accept it? Wrong! If what you're saying is true...God would not have spoke to the subject...unless you're one of those Christian whom you spoke about...you know, "an unbeliever". I cannot believe the crap you are professing, and calling it "from the Bible"....Brian, you are full of it...whether you know it or not.

"A Christian, if being lead by the Holy Spirit does not practice sin; but he/she will sin from time to time because of human weakness."
this is the caveat, which allows you to sin "at will", because you already have a "built-in" excuse, "human weakness"...BS....Crap...pure crap...the mark of a false Christian.
Brian764

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:59 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;41362 wrote:
Nowhere in the Bible does it say that God uses people to point out the sins of others...you have just borne "false witness', a sin, I might add.
One does not have to be perfect to have authority to point out the sins of others????? So, you get to make up your own doctrine, and expect others to accept it? Wrong! If what you're saying is true...God would not have spoke to the subject...unless you're one of those Christian whom you spoke about...you know, "an unbeliever". I cannot believe the crap you are professing, and calling it "from the Bible"....Brian, you are full of it...whether you know it or not.

"A Christian, if being lead by the Holy Spirit does not practice sin; but he/she will sin from time to time because of human weakness."
this is the caveat, which allows you to sin "at will", because you already have a "built-in" excuse, "human weakness"...BS....Crap...pure crap...the mark of a false Christian.

Those who are off God understands what I am talking about, but those who are not will not.
mommamia

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 09:06 pm
@Brian764,
Brian@764;41354 wrote:

Hmm, didn't Jesus say Let he who is without sin cast the first stone? Also something about taking the plank out of your own eye before trying to remove the speck? I don't have my bible here with me right now. It is this crap which is turning people away from christianity. "Oh we can sin cause we say we believe in the imaginary sky person."

Also aaronsongs, for clarification. The puritans did not come here to start a country of religous freedom, they came here to start a colony where only there views were allowed. This is a common misconception about the founding of America. The church leaders had near total control of everything, not belonging to the church was punishible by death at the worst, just a branding and banishment at the least. Christians in the US have always been a rather judgemental breed. Lovely christians not only actively participated in the use of slaves, but somehow found a way to say it was what "God" wanted. Sick if you ask me
aaronssongs

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 09:07 pm
@Brian764,
Brian@764;41363 wrote:
Those who are off God understands what I am talking about, but those who are not will not.

Of God? We are all "of" God...what do you think? Martians made some of us, and the Sun others...what is wrong with you?
I am of God...I love God, and I know he loves me...who are you to say any different? Talk about judgmental and "judging"! Get off your high horse....because you are "knee deep".
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 09:14 pm
@mommamia,
mommamia;41364 wrote:
Hmm, didn't Jesus say Let he who is without sin cast the first stone? Also something about taking the plank out of your own eye before trying to remove the speck? I don't have my bible here with me right now. It is this crap which is turning people away from christianity. "Oh we can sin cause we say we believe in the imaginary sky person."

Also aaronsongs, for clarification. The puritans did not come here to start a country of religous freedom, they came here to start a colony where only there views were allowed. This is a common misconception about the founding of America. The church leaders had near total control of everything, not belonging to the church was punishible by death at the worst, just a branding and banishment at the least. Christians in the US have always been a rather judgemental breed. Lovely christians not only actively participated in the use of slaves, but somehow found a way to say it was what "God" wanted. Sick if you ask me

Excuse...I thought that's what I had said about the Puritans...if not, that is what I meant...
Puh-leeze....the real Christians are "few and far between"...so many vile and evil things have been done in God's name, to shake a stick at....Good church-going Christians had slaves.....beat them...killed them....and raped them, and still thought that the doors of heaven would be open to them....it's going be so funny, on the last day...when folks who thought they should be at the head of the line, will be dead last, stuck out....emphasis on "dead".
That's why all these folk professing who, what and where...are gonna be short...God, I'm almost sure, believes in deeds, not empty words.
0 Replies

mommamia

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 09:24 pm
@aaronssongs,
Quote:
God, I'm almost sure, believes in deeds, not empty words.

Exactly
0 Replies

Brian764

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 05:57 am
@mommamia,
mommamia;41364 wrote:

Every one of those whom God used that are mentioned in the Bible sins. The reason why Jesus told those men, who-so-ever that is without sin cast the first stone is because there in tension was not legitimate. They caught the woman in the very act, as they said yet they only brought the woman to Jesus. They were also trying to put Jesus to the test, as they often try to do, to make Him do or say something to cause Him get in trouble. And also, Jesus purpose for coming was not to condemn, but to save, so if He said that she should be stoned to death, He would be going against His propose for coming.

The other thing is there is a difference between judging and condemning; the two are not the same. We make judgment everyday, without even knowing it. Judgment simply means to make a decision; it can be good, bad or neither. Condemning is to decide the faith of some one.

The brother who had the figurative plank in his eye was not fit to judge his brother, who had only a speck in his eye. Jesus did not say he should not speak to his brother about the speck in his brother's eye, but that he should first remove the plank from his eye, then he will see clearly to remove the speak from his brother's eye.

The moral of what Jesus was saying is that if we have a problem which is greater than the one whom we are criticizing, it will impair our judgment, just as if a literal plank was sticking out from our own eye would prevent one from properly seeing...your own problem is distorting what you are seeing.
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 07:40 am
@Brian764,
Brian@764;41403 wrote:
Every one of those whom God used that are mentioned in the Bible sins. The reason why Jesus told those men, who-so-ever that is without sin cast the first stone is because there in tension was not legitimate. They caught the woman in the very act, as they said yet they only brought the woman to Jesus. They were also trying to put Jesus to the test, as they often try to do, to make Him do or say something to cause Him get in trouble. And also, Jesus purpose for coming was not to condemn, but to save, so if He said that she should be stoned to death, He would be going against His propose for coming.

The other thing is there is a difference between judging and condemning; the two are not the same. We make judgment everyday, without even knowing it. Judgment simply means to make a decision; it can be good, bad or neither. Condemning is to decide the faith of some one.

The brother who had the figurative plank in his eye was not fit to judge his brother, who had only a speck in his eye. Jesus did not say he should not speak to his brother about the speck in his brother's eye, but that he should first remove the plank from his eye, then he will see clearly to remove the speak from his brother's eye.

The moral of what Jesus was saying is that if we have a problem which is greater than the one whom we are criticizing, it will impair our judgment, just as if a literal plank was sticking out from our own eye would prevent one from properly seeing...your own problem is distorting what you are seeing.

Pure BS, which you are using to try to justify your ends....the reference is instruction to "not judge"...for how can you tell your neighbor about the tiny speck in his eye, when you have a big log in yours..meaning, your situation is more dire than your neighbors', and needs your immediate attention...precisely what I have been alluding to...your "log" precludes my "speck"...now you think you can interpret scripture....go find a rock to hide under.
0 Replies

Campbell34

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 12:55 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;41276 wrote:
based on that study a little over 50% of young Americans consider themselves not a christian. When compared to 70% of Americans who call themselves a christian, down from 73% ten years ago, it is safe to say that the religious structure of our country will change dramatically this century. We could be looking at a largly Agnostic America by the year 2100

This really would make a lot of sense, especially with the Jews back in Israel. According to the Scriptures this would be the time of the great falling away. 2 Thessalonians 2:3, "Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first,
mlurp

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 01:18 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;41453 wrote:
This really would make a lot of sense, especially with the Jews back in Israel. According to the Scriptures this would be the time of the great falling away. 2 Thessalonians 2:3, "Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first,

I agree and if no one minds let me point out I do not judge others for what choices they make in life (except for the way they handle children and women) I had a lesiben neighbor back in Indiana and we were friendly to each other.
The topic never came up nor did I tell her what the Bible says about those that choose this lifestyle. Why simple I want my cup to remain running over.
The Lord, will judge all me included. and I worry about my place in His, book of life because of what was quoted above. The church will destory itself if it doesn't stop trying to dictate their views on others out side the church. And if it doesn't stop trying to control politics. let those who belief vote or not vote if they can't find a person who lives by their values. It is that simple. But as it is in many churchs they think they have the correct ideas, and that is because the pastor puts them into this with out a choice on the breathern part. belief in God, the Lord jesus and the Holy Spirit is a personnel choice..
0 Replies

mommamia

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 02:29 pm
@aaronssongs,
Quote:

Thats the problem with some christians, twist the words until they say what you want them to mean. Maybe you should worry about yourself and your plank and leave me and my speck alone.

Quote:
The Lord, will judge all me included. and I worry about my place in His, book of life because of what was quoted above. The church will destory itself if it doesn't stop trying to dictate their views on others out side the church. And if it doesn't stop trying to control politics. let those who belief vote or not vote if they can't find a person who lives by their values. It is that simple. But as it is in many churchs they think they have the correct ideas, and that is because the pastor puts them into this with out a choice on the breathern part. belief in God, the Lord jesus and the Holy Spirit is a personnel choice..

The church is destroying itself just this way. I have my own personal concept of god. I don't expect you to agree with me, all I ask is to be left alone, heck I have some of my best religous discussion with real christians. Instead I have church folk stopping by regurally to tell me what a horrible person I am. I have caught them trying to give my children candy and telling them that thier mom is going to hell, but if they read this tract and follow its words all will be just peachy. It pisses me off, one of my kids has a serious food allergy, they could have killed her with their busybody ways.
Not all christians are like this, but around here we have one or two bad churches, they stand on the street corners and call people names, they refuse to help anyone in need unless that person joins their cult, they teach their children to be intolerent of others point of view. They come to your house, disturb your family time, then sit outside and pray loudly if you don't want to hear their crap. Maybe this has something to do with why todays youth is no longer interested in your message.
0 Replies