Bill Maher Show 9/7/07

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 03:38 pm
YouTube - Real Time with Bill Maher 09/07/07 -- Part 2 of 5

Bill Maher, with guests Dr. Cornel West and Mos Def, discussing Religion, Empire, and US Foreign Policy
Parts III , IV, V, & VI & VII(recommended), but all parts, if so inclined.

Listen to heated intelligent discussion by some of the greatest intellectuals in the US today, Bill Maher and Dr. Cornel West (and Mos Def is nothing to dismiss, either) , Professor of Religion and African American Studies at Princeton University, is one of America’s most gifted, provocative, and important public intellectuals. Dr. West has won numerous awards, including the American Book Award, and has received more than 20 honorary degrees.

I would love to hear commentary on the discussion! Y'all ain't ready....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,459 • Replies: 22
No top replies

wvpeach

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 03:58 pm
@aaronssongs,
thanks Aaron

I was out when this played , but hope to catch it this week in re runs

I am astounded to hear Bill Maher coming down so hard on the Quran!:thumbdown:

But Bill does seem to hit hard when it comes to any and all religions

Hands down I think DR. West and Mos Def won this discussion. They saw through the fear tactics and radicalism that causes so many of the problems in this world today and down through history.

Old Bill just doesn't seem to understand he is being a radical too when he wants to blame all religion for the worlds ill's.

Will mankind never learn to live and let live?
aaronssongs

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 05:17 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;36414 wrote:
thanks Aaron

I was out when this played , but hope to catch it this week in re runs

I am astounded to hear Bill Maher coming down so hard on the Quran!:thumbdown:

But Bill does seem to hit hard when it comes to any and all religions

Hands down I think DR. West and Mos Def won this discussion. They saw through the fear tactics and radicalism that causes so many of the problems in this world today and down through history.

Old Bill just doesn't seem to understand he is being a radical too when he wants to blame all religion for the worlds ill's.

Will mankind never learn to live and let live?

WVPeach,
Thank you so much for that...positive feedback is so rare around here...I really appreciate it.
I think Bill acts a 'devil's advocate', most of the time...but he does point to the fact that our biggest problem lies in and with religion. And people's self-righteousness.
No one wants to admit that America (or those in power in America) is, largely, responsible for our ills as a nation. You can't go willy nilly killing up for folk for their resources, trying to undermine governments because they won't play marbles "your way", and "let you win "all the time". What a big sissy America is..."I want my oil...I want to be irresponsible like Britney, but I want you to respect me...and say nice things about me" I don't have to reduce my carbon imprint...there's no global warming...it's quite natural for the ice caps to be melting...it's a part of the natural cycle of things. I don't have to conserve 'anything"...that's not what being a conservative means...it means that I'm not a frigging liberal...who wants to give give give to the poor and the needy...it's their problem, not mine...I got mine...let them get their own.
I just want to be able to spend $6 for a cup of coffee at Starbucks, hang out with my other conservative buds, go shopping at Jos. Bank Clothiers for totally rad bland clothes, so I can hit the clubs, and get with some brainless blond bimbo, and bonk her lights out, between beers and blow, and turn up John Mayer real loud, and just zone out...but I have to watch it...cuz my BMW note is due, and Mumsy and Popsy, said if I don't get my credit line down on my VISA, I can forget about going with them to Paris this Fall. Damn. What am I gonna do?"

Cornel and Mos Def, spelled out what exactly is wrong with America, and its' hypocrisy...it's own terrorism against its' own citizenry...hey, but only if you listen with an open mind....I can already see the fur flying.

But kudos to Bill Maher for having the most intelligent discussions on television.
wvpeach

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 05:34 pm
@aaronssongs,
I love Bill Maher Aaron.

Did you know he dated Ann Coulture?

I would never have believed it myself, except caught his show where he admitted it.

Seems to me he wants some more of that too as he refuses to talk bad about her. His response when she gets nasty is always something like.

" hey I never said she was a nice person, but she was a good piece of ass":dunno:

kinda ironic isn't it Aaron a republican mouth piece like Ann who bashes gay people and anybody who cares about human beings yet she sleeps around. But the republicans love her.

A fine example of hypocrisy that is!
aaronssongs

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 07:34 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;36421 wrote:
I love Bill Maher Aaron.

I would never have believed it myself, except caught his show where he admitted it.

Seems to me he wants some more of that too as he refuses to talk bad about her. His response when she gets nasty is always something like.

" hey I never said she was a nice person, but she was a good piece of ass":dunno:

kinda ironic isn't it Aaron a republican mouth piece like Ann who bashes gay people and anybody who cares about human beings yet she sleeps around. But the republicans love her.

Just a glutton for attention...if she had anything of importance to say, she might be forgivable, but I have never heard it. Never. Wish she had more than one dress.
wvpeach

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 08:53 pm
@aaronssongs,
She is a devotee of the DON Nickels school of "mean makes the green"

Face it just like people will rubber neck at the scene of a accident hoping to see gore. Or must watch Nascar hoping to see a wreck as far as I can tell.

People love to be a peeping tom when a bully abuses people.

Ann is a bully and like don nickels makes money for being mean.

Last time I saw her on TV she was wearing a blue dress , cut very much like her favorite black one.

She should let Oprah or the Gueer eye for straight guys give her some fashion tips for sure. You'd think she's made enough "green for the mean" to be able to afford some decent clothes.

aaronssongs;36462 wrote:
Just a glutton for attention...if she had anything of importance to say, she might be forgivable, but I have never heard it. Never. Wish she had more than one dress.
Drnaline

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 10:23 pm
@aaronssongs,
Just from your intro i must assume he is black?
Drnaline

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 10:26 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;36421 wrote:
I love Bill Maher Aaron.

So, as a Christian. What is your opinion of her, LOL.
aaronssongs

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 10:29 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;36510 wrote:
Just from your intro i must assume he is black?

Dr, and you would be correct in your assumption...silly me, how could I think that "you" would be familiar with "any" intellectuals, let alone, any "black" intellectuals....and they are not known as "intellects", by the way.
aaronssongs

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 10:31 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;36512 wrote:

I know you weren't asking me...but i fail to see the connection. As a Christian, I pray that one day, she'll realize the error of her ways, and be delivered from her hate and contempt....Secularly, I hope she burns in hell.
Drnaline

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 10:33 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;36513 wrote:
Dr, and you would be correct in your assumption...silly me, how could I think that "you" would be familiar with "any" intellectuals, let alone, any "black" intellectuals....and they are not known as "intellects", by the way.

It seems the only intellects you agree with must be black, is it a requirement? I didn't ask what you call them, intellects is what i call them, have a problem with it?
aaronssongs

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 10:34 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;36480 wrote:
She is a devotee of the DON Nickels school of "mean makes the green"

Face it just like people will rubber neck at the scene of a accident hoping to see gore. Or must watch Nascar hoping to see a wreck as far as I can tell.

People love to be a peeping tom when a bully abuses people.

Ann is a bully and like don nickels makes money for being mean.

Last time I saw her on TV she was wearing a blue dress , cut very much like her favorite black one.

She should let Oprah or the Gueer eye for straight guys give her some fashion tips for sure. You'd think she's made enough "green for the mean" to be able to afford some decent clothes.

Peach, she "is" the scene of an accident!
Ah, the one think money can't buy......taste.
mlurp

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 10:47 pm
@aaronssongs,
Not that I care for the guy. But I do watch the show. It is always wise to know what your enemy is thinking. So I watch a lot I don't agree with.
Thanks for alerting me to this. I will catch what I can. Then post what I think of the show.
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 11:13 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;36518 wrote:
It seems the only intellects you agree with must be black, is it a requirement? I didn't ask what you call them, intellects is what i call them, have a problem with it?

I haven't the foggiest idea where you picked up that I only agree with "black intellectuals"...I would never consider myself to be so limited, as you would imagine (well, maybe not you..) Among some of the "non-black" intellectuals, with whom I'm familiar and subscribe to are :
Saul Bellow
Zbigniew Brzezinski
E.J. Dionne
Betty Friedan
Allen Ginsberg
Vaclav Havel
Milan Kundera (even wrote a poem about him)
Arthur Miller
Bill Moyers
Camille Paglia
Robert Reich
Carl Sagan (connected to his tribute page on MySpace)
Gloria Steinem
Andrew Sullivan
Jeffery Toobin
Fareed Zakaria
It's a cinch, you don't know who these people are...let it rest.

As far as mislabeling people as "intellects"....you're showing the world, just how little you know or understand...free country, though.
Drnaline

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 08:38 am
@aaronssongs,
IMO Just about every topic you engage in ends up about being black and white? The people you talk about, who are the receivers of this massive opression. It's Blacks against the world with you, but all under the guise that you are imparitial and not a racist bone in your body.
Quote:
Among some of the "non-black" intellectuals, with whom I'm familiar and subscribe to are :
See this is another example. You automatically separate by race. These are the "None Blacks", way to show your unbias?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 08:41 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;36512 wrote:
I guess it wasn't very Christian huh? Oh, what would Jesus think?
wvpeach

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 08:54 am
@Drnaline,
Drnline

I have stated my opinion of her in a post above. In short she makes money by saying shocking things. ( see above the don rickels school of mean)

As a christian I do not judge her for her sexual escapades . I know that sexual sin has been on this planet since man walked it. The bible is full of sexual sins. Why do you think man was allowed all those wifes and concubines? To appear that sex with hundreds or thousands of women was legitimate and sanctioned by God? This is not the case at all God created sex and knew it would be a lust that made many sin.

Remember that when this world is finished in God's time we shall not be given in marriage but shall be as the angels are. I take that to mean if there is still sex it will not be to procreate, more likely sex will not be a interest.

So I do not judge Ann , she does only what others do outside marriage what millions , or hundred millions of times a day. I like the truth , and truth be told millions of times a day people have sex across this world and it is not by the benefit of marriage. Therefore a sin.

But also thousands a day are killed, a sin.

Thousands starve, a sin when this world could feed them.

And remember the bible tells us that all sin is the same to God. He hates it all and cannot look upon it. Ann will be judged I believe more for the harm, hate, and contempt she shows her fellow man, than for opening her legs to Bill Maher. After all God will give her a new body if she is to live after judgment so she will be clean from that sexual sin. But it is impossible to clear the sin we commit against others in deed or thought.

Ann has hurt some of the windows of 911 I am sure . Caused them much anguish , she has hurt many people with her words and our words have power. The tongue is a tool that can kill or do much harm. Ann will answer for hers, I keep mine harnessed where others are concerned.

Drnaline;36512 wrote:
0 Replies

wvpeach

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 09:05 am
@aaronssongs,
Good Post Aaron.

But if I may give a little advice. Ill feelings towards another hurt us in this world. Ill feelings rarely touch the person we harbor them for. In the case of Ann it is different because she spouts her stuff on TV and the radio every day. She can transmit those ill feelings and really hurt others.

But with you and I we have no large outlet to broadcast our feelings so they hurt only us.

For instance, Bush. I knew he was going to be a bad president. One has only to look at his time as Texas governor , his lack of business knowledge and who he associates himself with to know this. But once this war started and the civilian death toll was coming in . And once the soldiers families started to know the grief of loss I got really upset with Bush. Wouldn't have walked across the street to spit on him if he was on fire. And that is not me, I will help anybody .

I did what the bible tells us to do. I prayed for Bush every time I prayed.2-3 times a day I asked God to guide him and to forgive him the deaths of these people . I still do.

As always the bible speaks the truth. In just a little while I no longer would not help Bush, I now feel sorry for that man. He has a lot to answer for at judgment.

Whenever I dislike a person and harbor ill thoughts to them I always pray for them now, as I know it will help and free me too as well as benefit that person. Never have prayed for a ANN as she in a non issue to me. But maybe I should at least once just to help her out.

Anyway thats my unsolicited advice :cool:

aaronssongs;36515 wrote:
I know you weren't asking me...but i fail to see the connection. As a Christian, I pray that one day, she'll realize the error of her ways, and be delivered from her hate and contempt....Secularly, I hope she burns in hell.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 10:03 am
@aaronssongs,
Quote:
Ann will be judged I believe more for the harm, hate, and contempt she shows her fellow man, than for opening her legs to Bill Maher
There you go, speaking for God again.
You believe so you have already passed judgement.
0 Replies

mlurp

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 12:47 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;36540 wrote:
I haven't the foggiest idea where you picked up that I only agree with "black intellectuals"...I would never consider myself to be so limited, as you would imagine (well, maybe not you..) Among some of the "non-black" intellectuals, with whom I'm familiar and subscribe to are :
Saul Bellow
Zbigniew Brzezinski
E.J. Dionne
Betty Friedan
Allen Ginsberg
Vaclav Havel
Milan Kundera (even wrote a poem about him)
Arthur Miller
Bill Moyers
Camille Paglia
Robert Reich
Carl Sagan (connected to his tribute page on MySpace)
Gloria Steinem
Andrew Sullivan
Jeffery Toobin
Fareed Zakaria
It's a cinch, you don't know who these people are...let it rest.

As far as mislabeling people as "intellects"....you're showing the world, just how little you know or understand...free country, though.

Do what I am now doing don't give this clown a chance to pick on you or allow him another post. Looking at all his posts I see he has added nothing but his 3 to 5 words of humor to any post made on this board. If I was a mod/admin I would put it up to a vote for his leaving the board. Your post was great and you don't have to defend your positiion.
0 Replies