Buddhism has no Faith, it's a practice, not a religion

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 10:44 pm
Christians amaze me to no end, their heads in the sand about how millions of people that are not Christian live normal lives without faith.

What is it that threatens you so much? There are people other than Christians that understand we are mortal beings, our lives end, we live a linear existence for a while and we die.

Christianity was invented to mask the reality of death it seems to me. Every time I bring up the issue that millions of people in Asia live happy lives without faith, you guys go nuts!

If your faith was so resolute, so strong, none of you would feel threatened, but you do because the very thought of people living life without an afterlife safety net troubles you to no end.

Millions have accepted life without an afterlife. Why is it so hard for Americans to accept this idea? None of us asked to be born, we try and live good lives and none of us have any control about how we die. We enter this world alone and we die alone, what we do in between is the most important issue, not what happens after we die.

I say now, FEAR should never be a reason to invest yourself into any belief system. The basis of fear is a shallow reason and why so many are disturbed with my message, you are fearful. You don't have to be and that's how religion works, it's either guilt through Catholicism as a control mechanism or some other christian control to keep you fearful of death.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 802 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Reagaknight

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 02:42 pm
@DesertDave,
Yes, all religion is based on fear. I'm actually head of my church's Ministry of Love, responsible for overseeing the torture of all those who don't attend Mass every week.
Silverchild79

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 02:52 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;19043 wrote:
Yes, all religion is based on fear. I'm actually head of my church's Ministry of Love, responsible for overseeing the torture of all those who don't attend Mass every week.

Are you then saying that your religion does not believe that everyone who fails to submit themselves to your way of thinking will burn in indefinably terrible torment for all eternity regardless of the life they've lived?
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 02:59 pm
@DesertDave,
Yes, but the point is, if you don't believe that, then you don't care, and you'll convert anyway. It shouldn't matter to you what we say because you don't believe that will happen. You look at Christians with condescension anyway, why the hell do you care if we say that?
Silverchild79

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 03:16 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;19047 wrote:
why the hell do you care if we say that?

see my avatar, it is a exclusionary concept shared by several religions which hurt our ability to live in harmony with one another. More people have been killed in the name of god then for any other reason ever.

that's why I care, I don't want to my Children inheriting that world on any level.

And I don't look down on Christians, I just refuse to walk to their drumbeat and I expect them to leave me, my children, and my government alone. Not everyone who disagrees with you is trying to destroy Christanity.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 02:39 pm
@DesertDave,
No Christian can justly kill in the name of God, there is no reason for it.

Funnily enough, most Christians would like you and secular atheists and agnostics to leave them alone. The official U.S. religion isn't Christianity, but it's not atheism/agnosticism/secularism either, we have as much of a right as you to be in government.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 08:21 pm
@DesertDave,
Haven't read all this, but there are two schools of Buddhist thought - Theravada and Mahayana. While the former is a philosophy, the latter is a religion. It regards the Buddha as a god and savior. It took hold in China, Korea, Vietnam and Japan. :headbang:
0 Replies

missdixy

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 08:26 am
@DesertDave,
Since religion stems out of fear, it usually offers people comfort. In this aspect, I am happy that religion exists. However, as soon as things start to get violent (different religions killing in the name of their god/gods) it gets frustrating.

While I believe there is a God (and am still trying to find the right church/religion that fits me) I don't believe religion has a place in our government. Sometimes, especially in this country, people fail to remember that there are TONS of people out there who have never even heard of Jesus Christ or Jehovah and have no faith in anything, really. And you're right, they don't like to think that people can live happy, wealthy lives without said faith and a God that is supposed to be the reason for people's happiness and wealth.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 09:23 pm
@DesertDave,
Xen Buddhism Prays to an IDol a God Named (I dont know how to spell it so i will break it down with common pronounciations) Shock-uh-mooney, (the litle fat guy who sat on a mountain and his legs froze (some god eh couldnt even st8in his own legs LOL.

There is also NSA budhism, which is VERY relgious oriented, Read the translated (again sorry for not knowing the spelling) DIE Guh-hone-zone.

The of course there are the tibetin Budhists, who are a sole mission to find inner peace and Enlightenment, this enlightment takes may reincarnated lifetimes, but to my knowledge once you are enlightened you no longer are reborn and you are one with the gods.

I don't think Budhism is just a practice in any sense I believe it is a religion.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 09:08 am
@DesertDave,
So much for desertdave's theory?
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 10:32 am
@DesertDave,
Haven't seen him, seems like he just posted up a bunch of stupidity and left. Typical.
rugonnacry

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 12:46 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;21509 wrote:
Haven't seen him, seems like he just posted up a bunch of stupidity and left. Typical.

Probably. Most people expect One strong post to sway everyone into their belief system.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 12:48 pm
@DesertDave,
He should just start a blog if that's what he wants to do.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 12:49 pm
@DesertDave,
aGREEd
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 09:51 pm
@DesertDave,
If he started a blog he would get depressed cause no one would read it.
0 Replies