What is it all about?

tj1121

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 08:16 pm
The blank page has always terrified me. So much to say and yet so much fear of actually putting down in words.

So here we go.....

What is the answer?(some of you might say "42" and you could be right)

When I was 17, after many late nights discussing questions such as this with my very good friend Robert and others, I had an epiphany of sorts and that the answer was very simple: Happiness. What makes a person happy. That's what life is about. We are all out there in the world trying to be happy. Trying to make those we care about happy. Our spouses, our children, our parents, our families, bosses, co-workers, friends, neighbors, etc. The list could go on and on. (Of course not everyone has the same order or the same groups, but you all get the idea.) Think about it, what do you want. Money, love, a new car, a vacation in some exotic locale, religious freedom, a nice home, respect, ________. Why? To be happy? Well here's another question; Are you happy with yourself and who you are? No really, think about that. Are you the person that you want to be. Are you happy with the things that you do? with the way treat others? with the way you treat yourself.

If not, then what are you going to do about it?

Thinking, wishing, and hoping for things to change is all fine, but it takes action. You have to do something to affect(sp) change. What are you going to do about it? Believe it or not Nike got the answer to this out ther a number of years ago, "Just do it".

Why don't you do something about your situation if you're not "happy"? I think that I have come across that answer also. I belive that fear is one of, if not the greatest shaping forces in a persons life. Think about it. Why don't you go talk to that guy/girl that you like? Why don't you apply for that job? Or take that trip, get a motorcycle, learn about other cultures or religions, or to challenge yourself to grow and take chances. Ask yourself this: what are you afraid of? Failure, getting hurt(either physically or emotionally), change? (I think that last one is a big one for many people.)

I read something (many years ago now) that had a profound effect on my understanding and ability to deal with fear. In 1966 Fank Herbert published these words

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

What does this mean? Think about it. Try it. See if it can help you some time.

I've just started reading AL Gore's The Assault on Reason and was very surprised (I laughed right out loud) when I read the first line of chapter one.
I am only 40 pages in at the moment and would recommend this book to any one who isn't happy.. with the state of the world today and challenge those who think we are right to be doing the things that we are doing in other parts of the world. Think about it. Please.

Some random thoughts before I go:

I'd rather be happy than right any day.

In all evil there is a drop of good, and in all good there is a drop of evil.

Treat others the way you want to be treated yourself.

Stand and be true

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on anything I've said here.

Namaste

Recommended readings:

Dune by Frank Herbert

Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talent by Octavia E Butler

Stanger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

The Stand and The Dark Tower(series) by Stephen King
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 797 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 08:29 pm
@tj1121,
"In all evil there is a drop of good, and in all good there is a drop of evil."

What is the 'drop of good' in genocide, torture or child molestation?:no:
rugonnacry

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:22 pm
@tj1121,
"I would rather be happy than be right"

Screw compromise...Be happy AND right.
0 Replies

imuthis

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 10:20 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;17926 wrote:
"In all evil there is a drop of good, and in all good there is a drop of evil."

What is the 'drop of good' in genocide, torture or child molestation?:no:

We won't allow another Adolf Hitler to rule.
We won't allow another Charles Manson to be free.
We won't allow another Michael Jackson to be the King of Pop
0 Replies

tj1121

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 02:14 pm
@tj1121,
imuthis, thank you, those were my thoughts exactly.
0 Replies

imuthis

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 04:52 pm
@tj1121,
Good will never be categorized as "Good" without the reference of an evil act.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 02:09 pm
@tj1121,
Quote:
I've just started reading AL Gore's The Assault on Reason and was very surprised (I laughed right out loud) when I read the first line of chapter one.

Something written by Al gore is going to make us happy?
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 03:45 pm
@tj1121,
"We won't allow another Michael Jackson to be the King of Pop"

Smash'm.
socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 05:03 pm
@tj1121,
Jackson is more like the Jester of Pop and Little Richard is the Queen.
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 05:22 pm
@tj1121,
I always wanted to melt MJ's face with a cigarette lighter. Play'n.
0 Replies

tj1121

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:49 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight- "(I) would recommend this book to any one who isn't happy.. with the state of the world today and challenge " others to open their minds and consider this point of view. I did not imply that it would make anyone happy.
I am finding that I am only becoming angrier at the current situation the more I read this book.
I would ask anyone who won't read this book to ask themselves, "What am I afraid of?"
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:51 pm
@tj1121,
I hope you read other books on the subject matter that Gore pretends to know so much about before you take his word for total truth.
tj1121

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:52 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;18468 wrote:
"We won't allow another Michael Jackson to be the King of Pop"

Smash'm.

What does this have to do with the real world?
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 04:43 am
@tj1121,
He should be in jail. He's a scumbag child-molester. He should be incarcerated in the same cell, for life, with OJ Simpson.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 04:44 am
@tj1121,
Al Gore is a con-man, and an inept one at that.
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 10:05 am
@tj1121,
Pinochet I think someone beat you to it, you see MJ's face has already been melted, haven't you seen his nose?!
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 02:22 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;18474 wrote:
Jackson is more like the Jester of Pop and Little Richard is the Queen.

Doesn't matter, they've been usurped.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 02:45 pm
@tj1121,
Don't you mean uslurped?
0 Replies

tj1121

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 12:00 am
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon;18539 wrote:
I hope you read other books on the subject matter that Gore pretends to know so much about before you take his word for total truth.

Curmudgeon-I appreciate what you have said and would definitely look at any recommendations that you might have for me to read. But first let me assure you I don't take anything anyone says as the "total truth" just because of who they are, or the office they hold or how much money they do or don't have. I try to determine the truth by thinking, reasoning and careful consideration. I also give a great amount of weight to the actions that a person takes. Meaning that if, for example, one of my employees says one thing and then does something different I need to watch that person to see if they are lying or cheating. A persons actions measured against their words is how I form my opinions of people. If you (or anyone else) suggests that I (or anyone else) should just accept and believe any and everything that we are told I would strongly disagree. Let me know if you have any suggested reading that would enlighten me on just how honest and competent and trustworthy our current administration really is. Maybe this feeling that I've been lied to and misled for these past seven years is totally baseless.

Have you read The Assault on Reason[/B]?

tj1121
0 Replies