Essence or Existence

imuthis

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 08:48 am
This is an old philosophical argument, however i just wanted to know everybody's opinion about this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,848 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Silverchild79

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 10:04 am
@imuthis,
this thead is to vauge, I'm not even sure what we're debating

expand on the concept please, I've been locking threads like this recently
imuthis

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 07:31 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;24246 wrote:
this thead is to vauge, I'm not even sure what we're debating

expand on the concept please, I've been locking threads like this recently

Sorry. This is a metaphysical argument actually that states "Which comes first essence of a thing or its existence?"
92b16vx

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 08:24 pm
@imuthis,
imuthis;24356 wrote:
Sorry. This is a metaphysical argument actually that states "Which comes first essence of a thing or its existence?"

How can something have "essence" if it doesn't exist?
Drnaline

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 07:35 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;24368 wrote:

Space would be my example? You can't see it, you can't touch it but yet it is expansive and you know it's there.
0 Replies

imuthis

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:04 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;24368 wrote:

That's the conflict. How about inventions? An inventor did have an essence of that particular invention before it came into existence. Before Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone he did have an essence of what a telephone is. He didn't just put some mechanical parts together and suddenly, Whoala! this is a telephone!
Pinochet73

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:06 am
@imuthis,
Hey, Imu. Can you explain your pen-name? It's kinda strange. What does 'Imuthis' mean to you?
imuthis

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:07 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;24424 wrote:
Hey, Imu. Can you explain your pen-name? It's kinda strange. What does 'Imuthis' mean to you?

It's a name from Jose Rizal's Novel. He's Philippines' national hero, however I'm not a Filipino i only use this because i admire his works
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 01:29 am
@imuthis,
Imuthis, maybe you should read some Sartre, Kierkegaard, Camus, and Nietzsche.

Quote:
"Existence Precedes Essence"
Sartre's slogan — "existence precedes essence" — may serve to introduce what is most distinctive of existentialism, namely, the idea that no general, non-formal account of what it means to be human can be given, since that meaning is decided in and through existing itself. Existence is "self-making-in-a-situation" (Fackenheim 1961:37). In contrast to other entities, whose essential properties are fixed by the kind of entities they are, what is essential to a human being — what makes her who she is — is not fixed by her type but by what she makes of herself, who she becomes.[4] The fundamental contribution of existential thought lies in the idea that one's identity is constituted neither by nature nor by culture, since to "exist" is precisely to constitute such an identity. It is in light of this idea that key existential notions such as facticity, transcendence (project), alienation, and authenticity must be understood.
from- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
imuthis

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 09:38 am
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon;24667 wrote:
Imuthis, maybe you should read some Sartre, Kierkegaard, Camus, and Nietzsche.

from- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

Of course i did. It is much interesting if you post your own opinion though rather than copying and pasting some article.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 09:39 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;24368 wrote:

many a times have I thought "something bad is about to happen", then BAM, something bad happens. Does that count?
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 12:01 pm
@imuthis,
Pretty sure events wouldn't apply.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 12:11 pm
@imuthis,
then I guess the awnser is no

Religious Answer: You don't exist till god creates you

Science Answer: You don't exist until you are conceived
imuthis

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 07:49 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;24722 wrote:
then I guess the awnser is no

Religious Answer: You don't exist till god creates you

Science Answer: You don't exist until you are conceived

That's what I'm talking about!
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 09:09 pm
@imuthis,
Code:Of course i did. It is much interesting if you post your own opinion though rather than copying and pasting some article.

Well, excuse me, I thought maybe you were looking for some info on the question at hand and had no idea you had read those philosopher's works, so many these days have not.
I was a big follower of existensialism and nihilism in college ( many years ago ) , and still sort of agree with Sartre, but in a much more mellow sense.
My essence followed from the existence of my being as a natural course of development, so I would say essence is formed by existence. I don't believe essence precedes in humans.
Now if the discussion is of things as opposed to humans, I might reverse the order.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 09:08 am
@imuthis,
imuthis;24422 wrote:
That's the conflict. How about inventions? An inventor did have an essence of that particular invention before it came into existence. Before Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone he did have an essence of what a telephone is. He didn't just put some mechanical parts together and suddenly, Whoala! this is a telephone!

That would be called an idea, which is not essence. Once the telephone was made it had essence.

Drnaline, space exist as the relation of distance between objects, there for, it can't have essence because it is a void, however, it can contain essence of things contained inside it, like the air, light, smells.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 05:05 pm
@imuthis,
I was re-reading Mein Kampf the other day, when lo and behold, I discovered that Hitler actually was NOT its author. No......after peeling back the fake cover under which it has always been published, I found the name of the true author. Yeah.....you guessed it -- GEORGE W. BUSH, with a forward by DICK CHENEY.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 05:32 pm
@imuthis,
YOur to much pino, LOL.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 09:21 am
@imuthis,
Pino- that's funny ! LOL
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 12:13 pm
@imuthis,
I've been converted by the angry street-mob of America. Yes, I now agree that Bush is to blame for every single bad thing that has ever happened. They have converted me. BUSH IS TO BLAME FOR ALL OF IT.
0 Replies