George S. Patton - philosophy on war

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 11:38 am
Familiar quotes from the greatest soldier of our time:

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

Nobody ever defended anything successfully; there is only attack and attack and attack some more.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.

Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets.

Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.

We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.

You need to overcome the tug of people against you as you reach for high goals.

The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That's the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,231 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Silverchild79

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 11:41 am
@socalgolfguy,
Patton was one of the last great Generals

Washinton, Grant, Patton, & Powel
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 06:42 pm
@socalgolfguy,
Not to many people liked him after wanting to attack Russia. Wonder how the world would of turned out if we had?
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 08:28 pm
@socalgolfguy,
Used to read Powel's axioms a lot while I commanded, way back in the dang old day at Fort BENNING. HOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Praise God. I love Fort Benning. My son lives there. ROCK ON, AIRBORNE!!!! ROCK ON, SOLDIER!!!!
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 08:30 pm
@socalgolfguy,
airborne Ranger.....
Airborne Ranger.....
Pick Up Your Weapon And Follow Me.
I'm The Airborne Infantry
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 02:43 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;24852 wrote:
Not to many people liked him after wanting to attack Russia. Wonder how the world would of turned out if we had?

no cold war, it was late April when Berlin fell Patton wouldn't have had to deal with the weather problems, or the multiple fronts what Germany had to. Patton would have probably done it

but had he failed we'd still be in a cold war if not post WWIII era by now
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 08:18 pm
@socalgolfguy,
War with Russia was really out of the question. Russia had the biggest army in Europe at that time, and an all-out, Allied attack on it would have been seriously risky. Sure...the Russian Army has always generally stunk, but still.
0 Replies

Dmizer

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 01:38 pm
@socalgolfguy,
"War with Russia was really out of the question. Russia had the biggest army in Europe at that time, and an all-out, Allied attack on it would have been seriously risky. Sure...the Russian Army has always generally stunk, but still."

This is not true, The resources America Had in Europe at the time dwarfed all of the other armies combined. Russia used propoganda to make it seem larger then it was, it was determined later on that if we had attacked Russia they would have had a fighting force 3/4ths the size of ours, not only that but they would have economically collapsed, due to the fact that we were supplying them with a majority of their war time supplies. Thier industrial complex was in ruins, there people were already starving and Stalin was killing just as many people as the war was.
Perhaps the most important fact was that we had the Atom bomb. Russia did not attain the bomb until their spies stole the plans, and even then it took them till 1948 to get a sucessful detonation. Truman would have used it on Russia had we started a war with them. If Patton had his way Russia would not have lasted the year.

--General Motors produced more war time goods then the rest of the world combined. ----Just a quick fact about America's industrial might at the time.
Pinochet73

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 09:04 pm
@Dmizer,
Dmizer;25155 wrote:
"War with Russia was really out of the question. Russia had the biggest army in Europe at that time, and an all-out, Allied attack on it would have been seriously risky. Sure...the Russian Army has always generally stunk, but still."

This is not true, The resources America Had in Europe at the time dwarfed all of the other armies combined. Russia used propoganda to make it seem larger then it was, it was determined later on that if we had attacked Russia they would have had a fighting force 3/4ths the size of ours, not only that but they would have economically collapsed, due to the fact that we were supplying them with a majority of their war time supplies. Thier industrial complex was in ruins, there people were already starving and Stalin was killing just as many people as the war was.
Perhaps the most important fact was that we had the Atom bomb. Russia did not attain the bomb until their spies stole the plans, and even then it took them till 1948 to get a sucessful detonation. Truman would have used it on Russia had we started a war with them. If Patton had his way Russia would not have lasted the year.

--General Motors produced more war time goods then the rest of the world combined. ----Just a quick fact about America's industrial might at the time.

Hmm.....dunno. Dunno. Now that I'm FITTY, my memory seems frail. Nonetheless, according to what I've stumbled across in my days as a history fan, I know that Russia's industrial capacity had been relocated behind the Ural Mountains after the first year of the war, during which time the U.S. kept the country alive via supplies transported through Iran. Beyond Luftwaffe bombing range, Russian industry came back to life and started cranking out a lot of military hardware, including the very capable Stalin tank. Stalin had to back off his persecutions to inspire the people to fight the Nazis. He invoked traditional patriotism, and even allowed religion to make a cameo appearance during the war years. His Great Purge and assault on the Russian peasantry to collectivize had occurred in the 1930s, before WWII. Lastly, Nazi Germany fought the bulk of WWII in Europe in Russia, due to its size, in territory and forces, however primitive and ineffective they were at first. I'm no WWII expert, but I think an Allied attack on the USSR after WWII would have been very, very risky, if not doomed.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 10:53 am
@socalgolfguy,
Quote:
Now that I'm FITTY, my memory seems frail.

Don't go there....PLEASE!
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 06:39 am
@socalgolfguy,
I hope to live well beyond fitty. Got me plenty of sophomores to edumacate.
0 Replies