Yoga in N India

Clary

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 11:05 am
Does anyone on the forum have the experience of doing Yoga at a centre in N India - perhaps in or near Rishikesh? Would like to pick any brains!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,745 • Replies: 27
No top replies

RickyJaff

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 05:51 am
Yoga.. good thing.. It really changes a person..
R u from Rishikesh ???

Wht do u want to know about that ???
0 Replies

acepoly

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 08:33 am
The only thing that I know about Yoga is that it makes people levitate. And several friends of mine have told me they did see people practicing Yoga get afloat. That really makes me boggle.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 08:35 am
aceploy - these are urban legends....no such thing has ever happened.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 09:29 am
I don't think you're taking this seriously, people!! No, I'm not from Rishikesh, haven't even been there, but have a friend who wants to go and do yoga there... no levitation, just a good workout and a spiritual cleanse!

The only flying she envisaqes is getting from London to Delhi.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 09:31 am
Clary,

I come from the same part of India as Rishikesh, though I have never been there. Havent done any Yoga either. Not sure what kinda help you are looking for here. Cant add much except to say that Rishikesh is one of the holiest cities for us hindus, and yr friend, if looking some spiritual experience, will not be disappointed.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 11:00 am
Thanks, Gautam (the Buddha in person, I suppose?) - she would like to hear of centres that do yoga - she does it here but wants to have a week's course - but mostly wants to hear firsthand recommendations, otherwise she is just going on websites.

And Ommmmmmm to you - like your new words of wisdom but isn't it hetero?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 11:09 am
Clary, sorry cant help then - have no clue, nor do I know anyone who has been to the yoga ashrams in Rishikesh.

p.s. I know, but I am too lazy to change it Wink
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 04:09 pm
i'll give you your zeroth lesson in yoga -

its not yoga.

its YOG.

the a was invented by westerners - their 1st contribution to yoga. no indian calls it yoga - its YOG
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:27 am
Shocked I'm in India and I've never heard of anyone calling it Yog...

"Yoga" in Sanskrit means union with the Divine. Yog sounds like the Hindi word for it....Just as it is Rama in Sanskrit and Ram in Hindi...
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:36 am
Clary,

A colleague knows a bit about Yoga schools in Rishikesh. He said the Shivananda swami school is the most famous. One of his friends learnt meditation at the Veda niketan school in Rishikesh. Rishikesh holds a Yoga festival too, i'm not sure when..I think it's in the Jan-feb season, since that's the recommended time to go to Rishikesh.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:44 am
chinmayee_s wrote:
Shocked I'm in India and I've never heard of anyone calling it Yog...

"Yoga" in Sanskrit means union with the Divine. Yog sounds like the Hindi word for it....Just as it is Rama in Sanskrit and Ram in Hindi...

and the hindi (actually sanskrit) word for it is the actual word.

Yoga is wrong and anglicised....Yog is the correct sanskrit word.
Rama is anglicised and wrong.... Ram (Raam) is correct. (its NEVER rama in sanskrit... always Ram/Raam...)
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:47 am
I'm not arguing anymore...but I do think you should ask some authority on your take...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:55 am
Clary, you seem to be heading to Bangalore also. I was told to go there to seek "Yoga massage" - it's supposed to be out of this world experience. A few people work on you at the same time, stretching, massaging, contorting you in every which way. Never tried it - I'm suspicious of yoga not to even mention yoga alteregos... but I thought I'd throw it your way. Know of any good studio in Bangalore, Chin?

Another thing to try in the South in Ayurveda - which Kerala is famous for. It's a holistic healing/exercising approach, including herbs, food, spa, workout... who knows what else. (again I only know from hearing about it. It would take five elephants to drag me into anything like that)...

When are you going? I am soooo excited for you! Do keep a diary!
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:04 am
chinmayee_s wrote:
I'm not arguing anymore...but I do think you should ask some authority on your take...

Good decision, not to argue.... and its not my "take".... just that the word yoga or rama never ever existed in indian/sanskrit vocabulary, before europeans came to india.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:06 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Know of any good studio in Bangalore, Chin?

what sort?

for photography... "Anurag" on the majestic/K.G. circle is good.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:23 am
was talking about yoga massage in bangalore... hence it would be a yoga massage studio...
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:54 am
ahhh thats called a yog(a) massage parlour/parlor.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 07:55 am
sure, parlor then. whatever works... maybe chin can look up some in bangalore or ask his friend for those...
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 08:13 am
http://www.webindia123.com/city/karnata/bangal/list_all.asp?action=Personal+Fitness-+Yoga+Instruction&cat=Personal+Fitness&dcat=Yoga+Instruction

but i think kerela is the place for it - the (ayurvedic)
"yog massage" thing you are looking for.
http://images.google.co.in/images?q=tbn:vRgdHlNpu7oJ:www.kerala-travel-tours.com/images/dhara-karma.jpg

yoga centres in all india (by no means a comprehensive list, but still good) -
http://www.yogafinder.com/yogacity.cfm?yogacountry=India
0 Replies