• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 734 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Reagaknight

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 12:01 pm
@Silverchild79,
Well, did it really actually cover the whole world? I would say it just covered the world as the writers knew it.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 12:21 pm
@Silverchild79,
that's where I lean. There was an extensive study done In Iceland/Greenland to see if they could independently prove a great flood. They found nothing which led them to believe there had been mass flooding there around 3000BC.

The Sumerian text records an event that lasted 7 days and was regional. Possibly in what is no the Persian Gulf, back when it was dry land. The 40 days thing bugs me. The flood was 40 days, Moses was on Mt Sinai for 40 days, etc. 40 days is the most common length of time given for any great event in the OT.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 12:53 pm
@Silverchild79,
Don't forget 40 years in the desert, it's 40 at least. I don't know, maybe it had a significance in their culture, maybe 7 was significant to Sumerian culture, I don't go too deep into these things.. I would say that the area where the Sumerians lived and the ancestors of the Hebrews lived were geographically close enough but could have had differences, Well, really the whole timeline and geograpfy is rather fuzzy anyway. I wouldn't take everything in the Bible about the flood literally, but I would certainly not dismiss the premise simply because it was written from a cultural viewpoint which may have changed details.
0 Replies