Hi from a new member

Doly

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 02:55 am
I've been lurking around for a couple of days and have enjoyed the forum so I thought I would join up. Hopefully my opinions won't upset too many people.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,017 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 04:43 am
@Doly,
Welcome to Conflicting Views , Doly . We have diverging opinions here and generally get along . All we ask is that posters stick to the point of discussion and post links and support their views with good sources and examples .
0 Replies

Doly

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 04:50 am
@Doly,
Well, I certainly think I can do that. Thanks for the welcome.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 04:53 am
@Doly,
I have replied to 2 of your posts , not many at the computer this time of morning .
I am a night dispatcher and I am on the net all night long .
0 Replies

Doly

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 05:07 am
@Doly,
Nice to meet you. I will be starting a night job soon :jail: , but I doubt I have time to be on the computer although it would be nice. So in a couple of days I guess I will be posting in the daytime. A night job will work fine for me as I like to stay up all night and sleep all day. (I have always struggled to get up in the mornings for those 8:00am-5:00pm jobs. :disgust: )
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 05:20 am
@Doly,
Tell us more about yourself when you get a chance .
I am an old guy and a forum junkie . I have my own and participate here and on several truck forums as well . Politically middle of the road , but lean heavily conservative .
0 Replies

Doly

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 05:38 am
@Doly,
I'm a white female, born in 1950. (Best time to be born in this country in my opinion.) I've been a bobby soxer and a hippie, but never a yuppie -- I'll always be a baby boomer no matter how old I get. I listen to "golden oldies" (songs from the sixties and seventies) when I'm driving :drive: in my car, but have CDs from other eras, too. I like old movies, new movies and the cable news channels. I have one child who is grown and too busy for his Mom most of the time unless he needs a loan. He doesn't want children so I'll never be a grandmother Crying or Very sad . I have two cats and feed all the strays that come along. I've always worked in the clerical field (data entry, secretarial, etc.) I believe in God, but have never been able to make up my mind which religion I should go with and I tend to vote Democratic even though I call myself an Independent. (Jeez, this is boring! I should erase it all but then I'd have to lie and that's not good, is it? . :lame:)
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 08:01 am
@Doly,
Nice to have you Doly. I'm sure we will get along fine.
0 Replies

Sherman cv

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 11:46 am
@Doly,
Welcome Doly, to the paradise for debatours:thumbup:
I am sure here on this forum you won't be disappointed, like Curmy said we get along fine even though we have very different point of view. I personally do not post many example, but read the ones post by my fellow conflicted, and give my opinion, which i think they do not mind....This is my favorite forum because you can debate about everything but also you learn a lot from the other members...:p So do not worry to be fierce....Very Happy

"There are two refuge from the misery of life - music and cats"

Albert Schweitzer
0 Replies

Doly

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 12:06 pm
@Doly,
Nice to meet all of you. I look forward to many stimulating debates. Very Happy
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 10:19 pm
@Doly,
Welcome Doly! I hope you enjoy our humble forum.
0 Replies

Red cv

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 12:40 pm
@Doly,
Hello Doly, welcome. I am also a newbie.

Curmudgeon; what do you dispatch.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 03:39 pm
@Doly,
Trucks , from 18 wheelers to small pickups . Our company is in logistics . Our main business is inventory control and consumables management in plants and refineries . We are the preferred supplier for Dow Chemical USA in that field and in small load transportation for them . Mainly here in Texas and Louisiana , but next month we are opening in Midland , Michigan at the Dow facility there .
I am the night dispatcher , having been demoted from Driver Services and Safety Administrator , due to a conflict of methods with my immediate supervisor .
The move to night dispatcher was my only option short of going out looking for a new job at 64 years of age ,
By the way , it was a great move for me - less hassle and I have the run of the place at night and spend many hours on the net . I am a forum junkie , website owner , blogger , forum administrator , Ebay seller , etc .
Doly

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 03:49 pm
@Doly,
You were smart for hanging onto your job. Glad to hear that you like your new position. Sometimes what seems to be a bad situation can turn out for the best if you can just hang on through the transitional period. Good for you. :thumbup: Sounds like a pretty good company to work for too.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 03:53 pm
@Doly,
Yep , I have worked for the same people in 3 different companies since 1989 . The two owners went public about 8 years ago , and the direction of the new company caused them to get out of this business for 2 years . They spent that time working on winning the contract with Dow back , and succeeded . I came to work for them on day one , and will retire from here in about 2 years .
0 Replies

Doly

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 04:16 pm
@Doly,
You've got it made in the shade. I've got approx. ten more years before I can retire. Yuck! :cussing:

(I like what one of my friends used to say about getting older, "If I'd known I was going to live this long,
I'd have taken better care of myself!") :rofl:
0 Replies

Doly

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 04:33 pm
@Doly,
Can anyone tell me how to capture a picture to use as an avatar under my User Name? (I hope I worded that right so you know what I am talking about. I'm not very computer savvy. Thanks.) Is there a picture gallery here on the forum where you can choose a picture?
0 Replies

Red cv

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 07:03 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon;9764 wrote:
Trucks , from 18 wheelers to small pickups . Our company is in logistics . Our main business is inventory control and consumables management in plants and refineries . We are the preferred supplier for Dow Chemical USA in that field and in small load transportation for them . Mainly here in Texas and Louisiana , but next month we are opening in Midland , Michigan at the Dow facility there .
I am the night dispatcher , having been demoted from Driver Services and Safety Administrator , due to a conflict of methods with my immediate supervisor .
The move to night dispatcher was my only option short of going out looking for a new job at 64 years of age ,
By the way , it was a great move for me - less hassle and I have the run of the place at night and spend many hours on the net . I am a forum junkie , website owner , blogger , forum administrator , Ebay seller , etc .

Ta thanks for sharing your story. I'm new to forums, it's been less than a year, and wow what an eye opener for me. Do you have a pension plan in place with your company? In Canada we have CPP (Canada Pension Plan) and we pay into for our entire working lives. When you turn 65 they give you a monthly check visa vie a pension.

Doly what do you do for a living, if I might be so bold to ask?:dunno:
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 07:10 pm
@Doly,
I was an independant contractor for a long time and had no pension plan . When I came on as an employee , I did not sign up for the 401K plan here . I will take SS and continue to work part time and try to make money with my tool business . I hope to be able to work till I die .
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 07:16 pm
@Doly,
Doly -
Avatars are small graphics that are displayed under your username whenever you post.
Click on "usercp" above the thread
go to edit avatar

Use Custom Avatar
You may upload a new custom image using the controls below. Either enter the URL to the image you wish to use, or use the upload control to upload an image directly from your own computer.
Enter URL to Image:

Upload Image From Your Computer:

Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 100 by 100 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).

I don't think this forum has a stock list .
0 Replies