Hello everyone

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:26 am
I've been posting for the past few days, so I figure I should introduce myself.

I live in Las Vegas, NV. I'm a 23 year old University student majoring in psychology who's on his last semester. I have influences of study in sociology and I've been doing solo research on situations in the Middle East, world oil, and peak oil since I was 18.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,204 • Replies: 11
No top replies

tumbleweed cv

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 05:23 am
@fluidambient,
Hello and welcome aboard.:cool:
BonaParte cv

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 09:37 am
@tumbleweed cv,
What is peak oil??

Btw, welcome.
fluidambient

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 11:23 am
@BonaParte cv,
Peak oil, in a basic sense is the concept of the peak of production of all the oil fields in the world. Take any given oil field, it has only so much oil, once it hits a peak it is very difficult to get the remaining oil from that field, which leads to more cost in infrastructure. The reason being is that oil will not come out as easy from the ground when there is less of it packed into it. Once an oil field becomes low it takes longer to extract the little amount of oil left, also leading to more costs in production. Since American economy relies on cheap oil as of now, and once oil production starts to fall(in short being unable to comply with demand) the economy will take a hit, and in a big way that the world hasn't seen prior.

Food shortages are also a big part of the oil picture here. Due to oil, we've seen a massive population boom over the last century. Oil powers the machinery for farmers to grow crops on a massive scale. Without oil to power the machinery, serious questions on whether food can be produced come into play.

Peak oil will probably be the event everyone's lives change in a way I cannot even start to fathom. Oil is the most precious resource in the world, it's non-renewable, and the advances in science and military strength of United States is all related to oil. You can't fight a war without oil.

Lots of things will change. Countries will be vying for energy resources that are quickly depleting, that means wars, oppression, famine, death. The concept of the world population going down is a big point of discussion in reference to peak oil.

Oil is THE driving force in US foreign policy. Oil companies hold such influence that they have drived us to war many times and have affected the geopolitical structure of many countries. One cannot have a true understanding of world events without admitting the fact that oil is rapidly being depleted.
BonaParte cv

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 12:07 pm
@fluidambient,
Good post. Thank you.

Did you know that Canada has more oil in the ground than the Middle East?
According to reports from Alberta, things are really booming up north of Edmonton (Tar-sands).
There is talkabout a major oilline going to Prince Rupert in BC.
We should just walk up north across the border instead of fighting for oil in the Middle East.
We'll get it for nothing since they have a conservative US friendly government now. They threw their liberal wackos out of office last year.
While we'r at it, we take some of their water and natural gas.Very Happy
0 Replies

fluidambient

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:26 pm
@fluidambient,
The technology to make oil-sands into crude oil useable by the world is still being developed. It's a more expensive process and some experts will contest the lumping of oil-sands into the category of conventional oil.

Also if you consider all the oil-sands deposit to be conventional oil, then you can make the statement that Canada holds the 2nd largest reserve, with Saudi Arabia being the first.

Canada's Oil Reserves 2nd Only To Saudi Arabia
BonaParte cv

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 02:00 pm
@fluidambient,
It looks like you know what you are talking about! Great, we can't fool you, lol. Very Happy

Last year I travelled through Canada, while in Alberta I could not even find an empty hotel/motel room anywhere north of Calgary. :dunno:

All the parking lots were full of dusty dirty oil workers pick up trucks, Heck, the truck stops were full of fifth wheel trailers with oilworkers. Talk about booming!

I was told that high school dropouts in Alberta make 10x more money right now in the tar sands than university graduates do.
0 Replies

fluidambient

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 05:33 pm
@fluidambient,
Yes Canadian unconventional oil might be the last leg of a dying energy source. I don't doubt the Canadian government putting all it's focus into it. However even with said reserves, peak oil as a whole is definetely within our lifetimes...be prepared.
BonaParte cv

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 09:59 pm
@fluidambient,
I a firm believer that snake oil is also part of our future.
fluidambient

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 10:29 pm
@BonaParte cv,
Haha, I don't think I quite follow you but it sounds cute.
Brent cv

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 11:02 pm
@fluidambient,
Welcome Smile
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 10:33 pm
@fluidambient,
fluidambient;5495 wrote:
Haha, I don't think I quite follow you but it sounds cute.

He thinks you are selling a can of snake oil. With your "peak oil" statement.
Exactly how many dinosaurs does it take to make a can of oil? And how did those millions of animals all know to die in the same spot so we could drill millions of years later and pump out millions of gallons of the stuff? Fossil fuel, why don't they pump up bones and stuff? You can see where the questions come from?
0 Replies