American Programs or American Programming

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:58 pm
Coming of age I went through times where era's of music genres came and passed. I saw the development of Rap and Hip Pop music and the impact it had like so many other genres before it.

What stands out among them and is relative to them all are the claims of social impact they have on our society and children alike. Much blame is given by way of such impact and is held in relation to crimes and immoral acts that occur in our world today.

Coming of age I also noted a change in style for the formatting and content in television programs. Many early adopters of sitcoms remember embedded messages and lessons of moral integrity while being entertained with a comical side story or element. Shows like Growing Pains. Family Ties, Different Strokes, and The Cosby Show were all of this type and nature.

Now however we have little more than memories and a few select reruns to remind us of this time and age in programming. Reality shows offer little if any enlightenment other than what entertainment value they hold for some.

A subscriber today of any cable/satellite programming will find an extensive and exhaustive list of available news channels. These news channels all having a spin or point of view for the material they present.

Now with this I bring forth something to ponder. Why so many spins....why so little information? Depending on the subject matter and source providing information/validation we are given but fragments for which to conclude our own opinions or share the one provided us.

In matters of government involvement could it be that current and developing matters can not be addressed for security and safety issues? Or could it be that an informed America could be dangerous to a government of questionable actions? Are we told only what a majority feel we should hear?

You see, taking the fact that a spin/point of view will be directed differently from each news group and the information be fragmented by either source or news team, we have to wonder if we are being programmed by all or any of these providers or perhaps the government itself.

Yes, this seems far fetched for many but why not take a page from history and use the elements that propelled many television shows into the national spotlight. Many will claim just like rap music's impact that the news showing of school shootings and related events only promotes ideas and how to's for the sick and demented.

I say too, that it be easily so for the acceptance of politics and decisions concerning government ethics to be used in this fashion. It interest me greatly that we thirst for change, sour of either political parties view, and yet wont elect an independent into any high branch of government office.

Do we not desire for a difference and what many perceive to be a "one of us" to become part of the political stage? Sure the independents can be mere Republicans or Democrats in disguise or even work for either party to foil and steal votes from the other. We could not do much less harm by electing them than we have by electing the unacceptable officials we have today.

This sets the stage for questioning whether an independent possesses the aptitude and understanding required in the political arena. I have to question however, do any of our current politicians have an aptitude or understanding for the position in which they hold and the matters in which they address.

Back to American programming however, we are now infused with and limited to the taking in of
a particular point of view. Yes the news has existed for ever and been presented us, but not in such a manner or with such over abundance. It is because of this, that I feel an uninformed America is better than an ill-informed America.

I believe we need to decrease the media impact of today and return or re-implement what once was. Why has the entertainment and programming value there of changed so much? Is it fair to say the distribution of old would not work today? Sure I agree we can't air the same shows from years ago and expect acceptance or popularity, but we could infuse the ingredients form which made them successful into fresh and new ideas.

Then again....it could be a question of American Programs or American Programming?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,304 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Serious Outlook

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 01:59 pm
@Serious Outlook,
You all are invited to have fun with this submission as you have with the others....I have enjoyed reading your comments.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 02:05 pm
@Serious Outlook,
Is this a test?:wtf:
0 Replies

fluidambient

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 05:56 pm
@Serious Outlook,
Oh, my, god. Like me and my friends were talking about how last week's America's Next Top Model and how Amber Lynn looked so ugly in that green dress the judges made her wear. She's so pretty, do you think I'm pretty by the way? I am loving strawberry flavored lip gloss, I just bought a 10 pack of it. You know who use to have great lips?Britney Spears, have you seen her lately? She got so faaaaaaaaaaaat.
BonaParte cv

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:56 pm
@fluidambient,
I think American programming is the s.h.i.t.s lately.
I wish we had the Archy Bunker style shows back. Remember Meat Head?
The cra.p. we have these days turns me right off.
I don't watch much anymore. Even the news gets me angry, most of it is left wing propaganda.:eek:
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 03:21 am
@Serious Outlook,
Are you suggesting that television and all news informing bodies should be constant data streams imparcial to everything? Is that even possible? I see that you can't hide your opinion in your statementes yet you expect others to do so.
Quote:
I believe we need to decrease the media impact of today and return or re-implement what once was.

If it is the american government(or anyone for that matter) who is behind todays media revelations how can you expect them to acheive such a degree of perfection and power in this area without previous attempts? Can you say that todays shows are manipulative but 10 years ago they weren't. That just doesn't sit right with me
Serious Outlook

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 07:41 pm
@markx15,
I don't hide my opinion in my statements...actually I am rather blunt!

I of course am not suggesting that all news or informing bodies be impartial to everything. I am certainly not suggesting in no manner constant data streams of such content.

Who has achieved a degree of perfection?

I did not make even a hint of manipulation but rather lack of entertainment value. Does anyone here read? Or do all wait for an outsider to post so you can pounce on him with a consistent degree of ignorance.

Why am I rude...because you are. This publication was featured recently in mass publication with a warm embrace and even though some had opposite views or insight to offer such was done so with relevance for what was read and not just attacked for what was perceived.

Got to love you guys.....been enjoyable to see you all flare up and unite against me. Have your mediator give me the boot since I am not welcomed among the social graces of this community.
markx15

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 10:21 pm
@Serious Outlook,
Quote:
Back to American programming however, we are now infused with and limited to the taking in of
a particular point of view.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood. If you were only talking about the lack of entertainment, then why are you doing so on a political forum? We have a water cooler section for such commentary.
No one has pounced on you, we have mearly disagreed. You confuse banter with rudeness, when did I ever insult you?
Quote:
Got to love you guys.....been enjoyable to see you all flare up and unite against me. Have your mediator give me the boot since I am not welcomed among the social graces of this community

For that to happen we would have to all share the same opinions on a great variety of subjects, which I asure you we don't. So please stop with the petty name calling and start defending your ideas with substancial evidence.
Quote:
This publication was featured recently in mass publication with a warm embrace and even though some had opposite views or insight to offer such was done so with relevance for what was read and not just attacked for what was perceived.

I really don't care if it was well embraced by others on the web, I disagee as I have a right to. If you can express your opinion why can't I? And when I do you imediatly consider me misguided and ignorant, and what are you the source of infinte truth? Take a good look at yourself in the mirror you so easily hand out to all comers.
Ps: just because you so prettily articulate your sentences doesn't make them true. I'm not saying they are wrong mearly that you have me unconvinced.
Serious Outlook

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 10:50 pm
@markx15,
I'm not only talking about the lack of entertainment... must you insist on taking portions of the post to provide your comments on.

Anyone can take portions of information and put twist on them make, take things out of context, and certainly have others perceive different that from which is offered by the subject matter.

I don't care if it is embraced either...my point killed two birds with one stone as some would say. I go on to mention others who had a different point of view or disagreement of the material.

I welcome such. Your right, everyone has an opinion and a right to share as such. I just ask that it be substantiated.

If you have a question, perhaps you can present it before entering into disagreement. I am not the source of infinite truth as you know nor am I am source of importance that can be found by the masses. I am but a simple individual with a point of view or views.

I cannot debate them however when people who declare they are interested in doing so close the door or window for such. I am also not suggesting you are ignorant in general just bothered by the misconception of my material.

I simply find it hard to believe or find myself "unconvinced" that your read the material in entirety and/or understood what was being presented as a whole. Sure you can take a sentence from here and there and make it into a completely different posting or try and tie it to a somewhat related issue.

That however is a spin, a misconception, and the basis for one of my other postings.
0 Replies

tumbleweed cv

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 03:55 am
@Serious Outlook,
Serious Outlook;5692 wrote:

I of course am not suggesting that all news or informing bodies be impartial to everything. I am certainly not suggesting in no manner constant data streams of such content.

I did not make even a hint of manipulation but rather lack of entertainment value. Does anyone here read? Or do all wait for an outsider to post so you can pounce on him with a consistent degree of ignorance.

Why am I rude...because you are. This publication was featured recently in mass publication with a warm embrace and even though some had opposite views or insight to offer such was done so with relevance for what was read and not just attacked for what was perceived.

Got to love you guys.....been enjoyable to see you all flare up and unite against me. Have your mediator give me the boot since I am not welcomed among the social graces of this community.

We aren't united against you. Actually, I'm not " united" with anyone on this site. Most of the time my comments aren't very well recieved either.Very Happy It would be quite boring if we all agreed.

I actually agree with your comments about the programs we see on tv these days.That's why I don't watch reality shows. The news programing is even worse.:eek:

I don't think anyone wants to give you the "boot" either. You just happen to be what is refered to as " fresh meat ".
BonaParte cv

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 07:19 am
@tumbleweed cv,
"Fresh meat" lol. :cool:
Drnaline

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 09:52 am
@Serious Outlook,
Serious Outlook;5692 wrote:

Quote:

If you took the time to join you are not an oursider. You may be new to the sight and had exchanges with others that you feel, did not go your way. Those are the breaks with normal conversations with people you for the most part have never met. Yes most of us do read but like you have a ready preformed list of our view how things are. You say ignorance i guess we could say arrogance. I for one have heard arguements like yours, you tend to be more articulate as to your point and it may excape some people or they may come up with a totally different view of what you said. That my friend is diversity in your face. Some would like is less blatant but they are the one that does not decide.
Quote:

I don't take you as rude.
What publication are you talking about? In any case, got a link so we can see for ourselves?
Quote:

I enjoy the exchanges. I don't think anyone is uniting against you. But the nature of these forums is to not just argue a point. And sway what others may find different. Alot goes for credibility which in time you will earn. As in life it is not a given. I am a mod for this forum and i see no need to give you the boot unless you start name calling/ or demeaning behavior.
Who if anyone said you are not wlecome here?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 09:58 am
@BonaParte cv,
BonaParte;5699 wrote:
"Fresh meat" lol. :cool:

+1 LOL
0 Replies