Lack Of Communication In An Information Rich World

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 05:47 pm
In a world filled with media and opinions filling the smallest of voids we find ourselves distant from one another perhaps on the premise of lack of communication. Now, one will ponder and question how such could be when social websites such as the infamous Myspace.com receive such recognition and popularity.

We also live in a world-wide-web of blogs and video submission sites like Youtube.com. So how can I conceive the idea that we as a people suffer social demise by lack of communication. Simple, it is because of content. The content we share is not communication that promotes open-ended correspondence. The material shared is more informative and opinionated than debatable if even note worthy at all.

We are taking in the equivalent to "talking about the weather" and proceeding to indulge in such large amounts of useless information that we tire of everyday small talk. We care little about establishing relationships that offer no reward or blessing in the visible future. Social environments exist by choice rather than by chance and are usually more private than public.

Neighbors are no longer friends or even acquaintances and coworkers are more like life partners. We have more interaction with these coworkers than we do our families. Perhaps there is an argument to be had that this is because the amount of time spent with each, but I believe that it is more an issue of the quality of the time spent with each.

It is not unusual for coworkers to know about events that impact us negatively and the personal family left in the dark and not informed. We also choose to socialize with strangers from afar over the web more readily than a local stranger from our own hometowns. Again, perhaps debatable for many reasons.

Rather than provide hollow answers and reasoning for our social actions and etiquette let us ask ourselves why we choose to change the social elements and style when they were useful and sufficient from years past. Sure we have to adapt and possibly conform to the ever changing and newly introduced ways to communicate, but the way we interact should fundamentally remain the same.

I use to hear jokes from time to time at work and there were a few that relished much enjoyment daily from being comical, but I also took part in many conversations of interest and of varied topics. Compare this however to communication in email where I will find 80-90% of personal emails to be jokes/comical material or threads/chain letters.

This could quite possibly be an element to the dumbing down of American society. We miss out on the opportunities to engage in worthy communication where we walk away with more value than that of a moments laugh or smile.

Of course this is not a problem of new and for that reason we have much information to debate and speculate on. One of personal note for me being the rising population of socially inept individuals. I believe one can determine an impact has been made by the lack of communication and/or the quality of content exchanged among one another.

Is it amazing or ironical that we are declining both intellectually and socially in an information rich world? You decide.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,503 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 06:39 pm
@Serious Outlook,
"One of personal note for me being the rising population of socially inept individuals."
If that we so, you would not be seeking, what you will believe to be the truth. Communication is at the hands of it's beholder. It will be what you make it. If you don't want to know, you will not find it. That goes with the internet or any other medium you chose to commit a search.
Quote:
In a world filled with media and opinions filling the smallest of voids we find ourselves distant from one another perhaps on the premise of lack of communication.

I know more people now thru the internet then most of my other personal life. It is not in the fasion of a face to face personal interaction. But a relationship none the less. Not knowing someone's personal back ground, which we as humans usually judge on first appearence's. Finding out such info on the net is alot harder. So there are not to much prejudgeing as far as contacts meet on forum type website's.
Quote:
In a world filled with media and opinions filling the smallest of voids we find ourselves distant from one another perhaps on the premise of lack of communication.

Blogs and vids are cool but you must remember they are only tools. You must compile info and deceminate it. Beware of the "ready to feed" types where they have a preconcieved idea they would like you to insert into your head. It's is worth reading still just to know the whole picture but you must train yourself to see these things for what they are. It's a learning process, and the reality you see is what you make of it. I see you point of most of your post, but my feeling is. If it weren't for the internet, you and I wouldn't be talking. I think there is not a lack of communication. I think there is a lack of interest of quality communication.
0 Replies

fluidambient

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 11:31 pm
@Serious Outlook,
I agree that today's digital age is sort of dehumanizing people. I don't think necessarily the country is being dumbed down as a whole, but perhaps people are losing a sort of self identity and community.

What does it mean to be an American? Does it mean going to work, doing the 9 to 5, coming back exhausted and watching TV till you go to sleep only to wake up and repeat the cycle?

For a lot of people, this could be the case, or even worse if you're working two jobs. The inability to spend time with one's family due to an ever increasing national of hours worked per week is definetely something we should be concerned about.
0 Replies